IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Relational does not dictate underlying implementation
whether the "guts" use navigational structures or not is immaterial. Everything is 1's and 0's in the end, but we hide that fact most of the time. Navigational structures perhaps are the assembly language or machine language of databases.
Expand Edited by tablizer June 13, 2003, 02:08:29 AM EDT
New Bryce, what ARE you talking about
Underlying any relational database is a table structure, with links between key fields in the tables. The ability to "relate" between tables is indeed a navigational structure. It's inherent, you get ift for free, and how it's done doesn't matter, so long as it works.

I don't know how you can say that a relational DB doesn't use a navigational structure with a straight face, unless you're trolling (in which case, I wouldn't expect a straight face).
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New You misunderstood me
Underlying any relational database is a table structure, with links between key fields in the tables.

Not necessarily. They are only links when you want them to be. For example, a join expression can be anything you want it to be:

select * from cities1, cities2 where cities1.name like
cities2.title || '%'

matches similarly-named cities.

This is a purely "calculated" join. There is no pre-set links. RDBMS may put commonly used links in some kind of index-like thing to speed them up, but that is an optimization detail that is hidden from the query builder. In relational, you ask WHAT you want, not HOW to get it. (This is in some ways similar to Prolog I hear.) With nav's, you generally have to tell it how to get stuff, which "path" to take.

I don't know how you can say that a relational DB doesn't use a navigational structure with a straight face

I did NOT say they didn't. My point is that it is an implementation detail that is hidden. Languages like Python or Pascal may use bytecodes or machine code underneath to carry out commands, but the language user does not have to really care. The relationship between relational and nav structures is similar. Navigational is the proverbial bytecode of structure manipulation.
Created as new thread #106299 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=106299|And *why* do you think that happens all the time...?]
     Kill the Methodologists - (tuberculosis) - (69)
         Skill: the anti-Manager - (jb4) - (1)
             Re: Skill: the anti-Manager - (orion)
         Re: Kill the Methodologists - (systems) - (61)
             Thanks for joining in, comments - (boxley)
             OT: Text formatting - (pwhysall)
             Most Methodologies have their basis in fantasy - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                 Let's see if I can summarize - (drewk) - (4)
                     Basically, yeah - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Which brings us to the essential tension in SW today: - (tseliot)
                         Re: Basically, yeah - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Ummm... - (ben_tilly)
                 There's nothing wrong with Methodology... - (Simon_Jester)
             Ahh, a PHB in training. - (broomberg) - (6)
                 Programming is more art than science. - (static) - (1)
                     I know every time I want some programming done - (boxley)
                 This is the *only* reason I'm still a programmer - (tseliot) - (3)
                     So you're good at forgetting things - (drewk) - (2)
                         Oh stop yerself! - (jb4)
                         That's easy - (ben_tilly)
             Sorry, you're misinformed. - (admin) - (44)
                 "You can't coach height" - (drewk) - (7)
                     Exactly. And while we're on the subject... - (admin) - (6)
                         No kidding - (drewk) - (3)
                             heck, i got one dumber than a rock but gifted - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Not the same. - (admin) - (1)
                                     It is also used in the common tongue - (boxley)
                         Doubt mine qualify as gifted... - (ChrisR)
                         I got one of each - (broomberg)
                 The problem with discussing elite programmers... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                     Possible - (broomberg) - (4)
                         I think I've reached that point - (drewk) - (2)
                             The first thing I do now... - (admin)
                             I worked with many real 10%ers - (boxley)
                         Its situational to some extent - (tuberculosis)
                 Actually, lazy is better - (broomberg) - (2)
                     That's "responsibly lazy". - (admin)
                     Wall in the Camel book: - (tseliot)
                 Re: Sorry, you're misinformed. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Undoubtedly. - (admin) - (1)
                         Hmm. "curious", eh? - (static)
                 Double post. -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Talent how measured? - (tablizer) - (22)
                     Point == missed. - (admin) - (21)
                         Software development is like driving - (tablizer) - (20)
                             Uhhh... - (Yendor) - (18)
                                 ANYONE is a little too strong a requirement! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     Well, OK... - (Yendor)
                                 Audience - (tablizer) - (15)
                                     Two words... - (Yendor) - (7)
                                         Another Two Words. - (folkert)
                                         Megadittos - (tjsinclair)
                                         Most places i've been don't have unit tests - (tablizer) - (4)
                                             The point being... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                 OT - new LRPDism? (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                                                 regarding unit testing - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                     Re: regarding unit testing - (admin)
                                     Don' you be talkin' about 'abstraction'... - (jb4) - (6)
                                         Bull. Relational is more abstract than OO - (tablizer) - (5)
                                             And tables are nothing but... - (jb4) - (4)
                                                 Relational does not dictate underlying implementation - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                     Bryce, what ARE you talking about - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         You misunderstood me - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                             And *why* do you think that happens all the time...? (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                             Most software developers are wrong... -NT - (admin)
         Nice -NT - (deSitter)
         Robert C Martin concurs - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             *snort* My PFY tells me that evey day - (tseliot) - (1)
                 *Lots* of people have told me that - (drewk)
         HOLEEECHIT! - (folkert)

I'd sooner jump up and down on one foot.
140 ms