IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Skill: the anti-Manager
But I am just about ready to suggest that we have gone too far in trying to normalize performance in software development, and that we may be following a blind alley as far as future capability models go. We may have simultaneously made software development so restrictive, and yet so complex, that programmers good enough to do what we need can't tolerate the methods and measures we make them use.

This jibes quite nicely with one of my several bitches with Corporate management as it has come to be "practiced" in recent years. That is:

Skill is the enemy of management. Management hates Skill. Among the reasons that I can think of off the top of my head, is that skill demands respect from those who are inherently disrespectful, it requires money (as skill is, and should be, more expensive) from those who would keep all the money to themselves, and requires flexibility from those who are most confortable being rigid (at least, with others).

This article lends the lie to the concept, currently in vogue among the MBA set, that Skill can be driven from the Organization. Once so removed, it can be replaced by the Mongolian Horde; just throw enough [insert worker-type here] regardless of (or, more accurately, in spite of) their skill level, and somehow, if you follow the Corporate Rulez to the letter, and don't think too much, a Product will appear.

That Skill can be divorced from success is bullshit, of course, but so are all other such Corporate Panaceae-du-Jour (which is how Corporte Amerika is being run these days). Skill exists, and it is crucial to Organizations that want to become or remain successful long past the buyout stage. Get the fuck over it!
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New Re: Skill: the anti-Manager
true, once I became skilled, the law firm I worked for didn't want me anymore and did what they could to try and force me to quit. They also said that programmers are a dime a dozen because so many are out of work, and they could easily replace me. Just that my replacement wouldn't have the same skill-set that I have. Programs that took me a few months to develop, are being re-written for DotNet and it has taken them over a year now with no results. If they had a problem with me taking months to develop a large complex program, how can they tolerate the people they hired to replace me taking over a year to convert them? I gave them full documentation, every program was well commented, and I used their naming convention on variables. It shouldn't take them a year to convert over to DotNet. Unless DotNet programming is a lot harder than I think it is? My source is a coworker I used to work with who told me what was going on there.

Is this inability to convert a lack of skill? Or is it something else? I think that if I had DotNet training and I was given a year to convert those apps that I would be able to do it, given my past skills. I was dinged in a performance review for taking months to get a program done instead of weeks, how are they keeping these people who are taking over a year on a single program? It just goes to show how unfair they've been, favoritism apparently still exists there.

But management doesn't understand or respect skill, the only thing they apparently understand are those brownnosers who kiss up and work extra hours for no extra pay to cover up their mistakes and inability to get things done on time. I could have been one of the brownnosers, but I had too much self-respect and dignity for that. Plus I had to keep time for my family.

"If you're going to cheat, cheat fair. If there's anything I hate it's a crooked crook!" -Moe Howard
     Kill the Methodologists - (tuberculosis) - (69)
         Skill: the anti-Manager - (jb4) - (1)
             Re: Skill: the anti-Manager - (orion)
         Re: Kill the Methodologists - (systems) - (61)
             Thanks for joining in, comments - (boxley)
             OT: Text formatting - (pwhysall)
             Most Methodologies have their basis in fantasy - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                 Let's see if I can summarize - (drewk) - (4)
                     Basically, yeah - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Which brings us to the essential tension in SW today: - (tseliot)
                         Re: Basically, yeah - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Ummm... - (ben_tilly)
                 There's nothing wrong with Methodology... - (Simon_Jester)
             Ahh, a PHB in training. - (broomberg) - (6)
                 Programming is more art than science. - (static) - (1)
                     I know every time I want some programming done - (boxley)
                 This is the *only* reason I'm still a programmer - (tseliot) - (3)
                     So you're good at forgetting things - (drewk) - (2)
                         Oh stop yerself! - (jb4)
                         That's easy - (ben_tilly)
             Sorry, you're misinformed. - (admin) - (44)
                 "You can't coach height" - (drewk) - (7)
                     Exactly. And while we're on the subject... - (admin) - (6)
                         No kidding - (drewk) - (3)
                             heck, i got one dumber than a rock but gifted - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Not the same. - (admin) - (1)
                                     It is also used in the common tongue - (boxley)
                         Doubt mine qualify as gifted... - (ChrisR)
                         I got one of each - (broomberg)
                 The problem with discussing elite programmers... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                     Possible - (broomberg) - (4)
                         I think I've reached that point - (drewk) - (2)
                             The first thing I do now... - (admin)
                             I worked with many real 10%ers - (boxley)
                         Its situational to some extent - (tuberculosis)
                 Actually, lazy is better - (broomberg) - (2)
                     That's "responsibly lazy". - (admin)
                     Wall in the Camel book: - (tseliot)
                 Re: Sorry, you're misinformed. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Undoubtedly. - (admin) - (1)
                         Hmm. "curious", eh? - (static)
                 Double post. -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Talent how measured? - (tablizer) - (22)
                     Point == missed. - (admin) - (21)
                         Software development is like driving - (tablizer) - (20)
                             Uhhh... - (Yendor) - (18)
                                 ANYONE is a little too strong a requirement! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     Well, OK... - (Yendor)
                                 Audience - (tablizer) - (15)
                                     Two words... - (Yendor) - (7)
                                         Another Two Words. - (folkert)
                                         Megadittos - (tjsinclair)
                                         Most places i've been don't have unit tests - (tablizer) - (4)
                                             The point being... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                 OT - new LRPDism? (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                                                 regarding unit testing - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                     Re: regarding unit testing - (admin)
                                     Don' you be talkin' about 'abstraction'... - (jb4) - (6)
                                         Bull. Relational is more abstract than OO - (tablizer) - (5)
                                             And tables are nothing but... - (jb4) - (4)
                                                 Relational does not dictate underlying implementation - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                     Bryce, what ARE you talking about - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         You misunderstood me - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                             And *why* do you think that happens all the time...? (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                             Most software developers are wrong... -NT - (admin)
         Nice -NT - (deSitter)
         Robert C Martin concurs - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             *snort* My PFY tells me that evey day - (tseliot) - (1)
                 *Lots* of people have told me that - (drewk)
         HOLEEECHIT! - (folkert)

'Cause the music rules.
148 ms