IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Possible
As Ben pointed out a great study a while ago, as your incompetence goes up your ability to rate yourself goes down and you will rate yourself very high. Which follows your point.

But I think when you factor in interaction with other programmers and insecurity and failure you quickly learn where you really stand, and then it is a matter of hiding or leaving or believing you will get better. Or calling in the political correctness troops.

We have a couple who belong at about 70% level. Usable production programmers, but people who can't be trusted for the entire picture. If you need to be managed, if you accept that code will always have some bugs, if you think you can blame you environment for your personal failures, you are not a "real" programmer to me.

One of them was sure he was in the "elite" when he was the 70%er in a group of idiots. I saw him as the best of the group and chose to keep him on the promise he showed. But he stayed there and got no better. The ego is still pretty high, but the cracks are showing.

You also have the portion of the 10% who are so incapable of interaction with the rest of people (90% of programmers, managers, customers, etc) that the actual base of usable programmers from a corporate perspective is far lower. We got rid of one a while ago. He was FAR better than me when going in Perl. But his actual productivity relative to what we needed sucked.

As I get older I am more and more aware of what I don't know. That grows far faster then what I do know, so my knowledge base is constantly shrinking. I'm quite aware of this.

I used to think with enough time and money I could create/code/setup anything. Now I know better. I'll never have enough time. The only way to gain time it to multiply your ability over other people. So I also need political muscle since I am merely a catalyst to a much larger group of people who need to get things done.
New I think I've reached that point
I used to think with enough time and money I could create/code/setup anything. Now I know better. I'll never have enough time. The only way to gain time it to multiply your ability over other people.

I'm working on my third large PHP project. The first one, I did myself before I understood classes. I had a DB abstraction layer, but it was fairly crude. The second one, the lead developer had developed the whole framework, including a pretty good DB class. The current one started out like the first project I did, but one of the developers here has since created a DB class and most of the live code has been ported to it.

As we are considering another re-write of the DB class, I'm looking at PEAR. The DB layer is a solved problem. So is HTML rendering. Why are we still writing new versions of this crap? Sure, doing your own is great for the ego, and probably more fun than porting to someone else's. But it's time to start taking advantage of this whole Open Source thing like we keep preaching to everyone.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New The first thing I do now...
... is look to see if someone else has already written one.

A lot of times I find one, but it's crap. Oh well. The few times I do find one that works well, I've saved the time it would take to write my own.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I worked with many real 10%ers
I was surprised that so many (especially the younger ones) would have a problem, a little time with google and I say this might work. Next I get the "he downloaded code off the internet and expects it to work" look. Trouble with quite a few great programmers, they feel they have to invent the wheel everytime they see something round.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

"I hit him so hard in the head his dog shat a turd in the shape of Jesus" Leonard Pine
New Its situational to some extent
Put me on a C++ or Java project and I'm nearly always disgusted with my coworkers.

On the couple of Objective C projects I've done, I've been pleasantly surprised by a few coworkers that taught me things (and extra disgusted at others - how can you work in such an elegant language and still write SHIT LIKE THAT?!?).

In the Smalltalk world I'm a promising bright youngster busy soaking up as much as he can from his superiors. I know some things but I need time to visit the entire surface of the environment to become truly wizardly there.

Sadly, I mostly only make money when I'm disgusted with my coworkers...

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
-- Robert Firth
     Kill the Methodologists - (tuberculosis) - (69)
         Skill: the anti-Manager - (jb4) - (1)
             Re: Skill: the anti-Manager - (orion)
         Re: Kill the Methodologists - (systems) - (61)
             Thanks for joining in, comments - (boxley)
             OT: Text formatting - (pwhysall)
             Most Methodologies have their basis in fantasy - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                 Let's see if I can summarize - (drewk) - (4)
                     Basically, yeah - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Which brings us to the essential tension in SW today: - (tseliot)
                         Re: Basically, yeah - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Ummm... - (ben_tilly)
                 There's nothing wrong with Methodology... - (Simon_Jester)
             Ahh, a PHB in training. - (broomberg) - (6)
                 Programming is more art than science. - (static) - (1)
                     I know every time I want some programming done - (boxley)
                 This is the *only* reason I'm still a programmer - (tseliot) - (3)
                     So you're good at forgetting things - (drewk) - (2)
                         Oh stop yerself! - (jb4)
                         That's easy - (ben_tilly)
             Sorry, you're misinformed. - (admin) - (44)
                 "You can't coach height" - (drewk) - (7)
                     Exactly. And while we're on the subject... - (admin) - (6)
                         No kidding - (drewk) - (3)
                             heck, i got one dumber than a rock but gifted - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Not the same. - (admin) - (1)
                                     It is also used in the common tongue - (boxley)
                         Doubt mine qualify as gifted... - (ChrisR)
                         I got one of each - (broomberg)
                 The problem with discussing elite programmers... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                     Possible - (broomberg) - (4)
                         I think I've reached that point - (drewk) - (2)
                             The first thing I do now... - (admin)
                             I worked with many real 10%ers - (boxley)
                         Its situational to some extent - (tuberculosis)
                 Actually, lazy is better - (broomberg) - (2)
                     That's "responsibly lazy". - (admin)
                     Wall in the Camel book: - (tseliot)
                 Re: Sorry, you're misinformed. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Undoubtedly. - (admin) - (1)
                         Hmm. "curious", eh? - (static)
                 Double post. -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Talent how measured? - (tablizer) - (22)
                     Point == missed. - (admin) - (21)
                         Software development is like driving - (tablizer) - (20)
                             Uhhh... - (Yendor) - (18)
                                 ANYONE is a little too strong a requirement! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     Well, OK... - (Yendor)
                                 Audience - (tablizer) - (15)
                                     Two words... - (Yendor) - (7)
                                         Another Two Words. - (folkert)
                                         Megadittos - (tjsinclair)
                                         Most places i've been don't have unit tests - (tablizer) - (4)
                                             The point being... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                 OT - new LRPDism? (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                                                 regarding unit testing - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                     Re: regarding unit testing - (admin)
                                     Don' you be talkin' about 'abstraction'... - (jb4) - (6)
                                         Bull. Relational is more abstract than OO - (tablizer) - (5)
                                             And tables are nothing but... - (jb4) - (4)
                                                 Relational does not dictate underlying implementation - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                     Bryce, what ARE you talking about - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         You misunderstood me - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                             And *why* do you think that happens all the time...? (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                             Most software developers are wrong... -NT - (admin)
         Nice -NT - (deSitter)
         Robert C Martin concurs - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             *snort* My PFY tells me that evey day - (tseliot) - (1)
                 *Lots* of people have told me that - (drewk)
         HOLEEECHIT! - (folkert)

And suddenly it occurred to me where these guys had learned their tactics. They'd seen Beau Geste, and were copying the Foreign Legionaires at Fort Zinderneuf.
132 ms