IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Moderation 101
Have you ever been to [link|http://slashdot.org?|http://slashdot.org?] Any article may get several hundres replies and replies to replies. And there may be several dozen articles posted per day. Unless you are a speed-reading savant, or a bored high-school/college student, you can't possibly read everything. So how do you narrow it down? Moderation.

Several hundred people every day are assigned "moderation points" and they can rate any given post as particularly worthwhile, or not. Users can then choose to only see highly-ranked posts. By limiting moderation points to frequent visitors, the system attempts to filter out one-hit-wonders who just want to game the system. Of course bored high-school/college students just see that as a challenge ...

It's sort of like finding a movie reviewer you like. You can't see everything, so you find someone whose opinion you trust and go by their recommendations. Except that the sheer volume of new material on the net means the criticism had to be distributed. Figuring out how to distribute the load in a useful way is, to some strange people, fascinating.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Re: Moderation 101
Have you ever been to [link|http://slashdot.org?|http://slashdot.org?] Any article may get several hundres replies and replies to replies. And there may be several dozen articles posted per day. Unless you are a speed-reading savant, or a bored high-school/college student, you can't possibly read everything. So how do you narrow it down? Moderation.

I've never been there or anything like it, sorry. This is one of the biggest places I've ever been, along with Lighthouse BBS which was overwhelming all around.

Thanks for explaining it, though.

Nightowl >8#

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
     Heh. Nice edit. Minor nit. - (inthane-chan) - (37)
         I'll tell you why. - (pwhysall) - (36)
             Well stated Peter. Ditto for my situation - work and home. -NT - (jbrabeck) - (35)
                 Tis annoying... - (bepatient) - (34)
                     It takes time to find and edit an offensive subject line - (orion) - (33)
                         This I know. - (bepatient) - (32)
                             Possibility: auto-munging of title on insert - (Yendor) - (6)
                                 Funky monkey dancing!!! -NT - (admin)
                                 Worse than that. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                     That... should be - (folkert)
                                     Moral-LRPD: I'm very sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue - (Ashton)
                                 The code is there - (orion)
                                 This I could live with... with a twist... (new thread) - (folkert)
                             Banning? No. Never. - (folkert) - (16)
                                 Re: Banning? No. Never. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                     Peter also... - (folkert)
                                     We've been through those fires before. - (static) - (1)
                                         Re: We've been through those fires before. - (Nightowl)
                                 Re: Banning? No. Never. - (kmself) - (11)
                                     Cholmondeley's Annular Grillage Constant - (Ashton)
                                     Re: Banning? No. Never. - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                         ...the concept of...high-value content... - (kmself) - (8)
                                             You scare me -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 I think he's ahead of the curve. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Re: I think he's ahead of the curve. - (deSitter)
                                             Re: ...the concept of...high-value content... - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                 Moderation 101 - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Re: Moderation 101 - (Nightowl)
                                                 Translation into English... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 a good example of that is snmp - (boxley)
                             When did you become a moralizer? - (deSitter) - (7)
                                 RTFT - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                                     Fine - (deSitter) - (5)
                                         But... - (folkert) - (4)
                                             I said, fine - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                 Much thanks then to you Sir deSitter. - (folkert)
                                                 ObLRPD: - (admin) - (1)
                                                     ObLRPD: Swiftly thereafter, Choco Taco delight. - (drewk)

Her English wasn't so good...
133 ms