IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Banning? No. Never.
I may tease about it... but will never.

I am sure Scott feels the same way. Karsten though I can't say.

So does that mean Scott, you and Karsten are all sysops or moderators here? Or are you called Admins?

As someone who has been banned (for the first time in my life) from a Yahoo group for simply confronting the moderator about lying about me, I can honestly say I'm glad that you wouldn't jump in haste to ban someone. Not only was I banned because of this female moderator, but I also wasn't even told about it and just discovered it the hard way.

I don't know if banning is a good practice or a bad one, but I believe that if it is done it should at least be done with consideration as in the person should be informed that they are being banned and why. (shaking head).

The moderator who allowed this to happen has even admitted it to other people that it was all the female mod's doing, but still won't admit it in public or to the rest of the group, many who are still my friends, so ah well.. it's a mess I don't need to drag here, I just want you to understand my position on banning, since it came up. :)

Nightowl >8#

P.S. For the record, if I EVER do anything wrong here, I want the Admins to come tell me, I can handle that ok? Please don't ever think you'll upset me or hurt my feelings, I'd rather know the truth and correct the problem, then find out later someone never told me ok?

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New Peter also...
I am the machine and bandwidth primary proprietor/owner, Scott admins *Z*, Karsten admins *twiki* and Peter admins the jabber server on iwethey.org.

That's the FYI.
b4k4^2
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]  
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857673,00.asp|Microsoft develops apps for Linux by 2004]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberspace_strategy.pdf|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at checkpoints.
New We've been through those fires before.
In a previous incarnation, IWETHEY had a poster who ... ahh, lets say he got offended easily. Once that point had been reached, it was always very difficult to make him see reason. Pleas to ignore him were not heeded by all, sad to say, which lessened the problem but of course didn't quite solve it. After repeated warnings, a failed experiment with deleting one of his more incendiary posts, he was banned temporarily (i.e. for 1 week). We made sure he was informed.

It was a move of last resort. Really! It took some agonising. None of us wanted to do it just to be rid of him.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Re: We've been through those fires before.
In a previous incarnation, IWETHEY had a poster who ... ahh, lets say he got offended easily. Once that point had been reached, it was always very difficult to make him see reason. Pleas to ignore him were not heeded by all, sad to say, which lessened the problem but of course didn't quite solve it. After repeated warnings, a failed experiment with deleting one of his more incendiary posts, he was banned temporarily (i.e. for 1 week). We made sure he was informed.

It was a move of last resort. Really! It took some agonising. None of us wanted to do it just to be rid of him.

Well, I applaud that you at least informed him about it, because like I said, I was not informed. I simply attempted to access the group and learned it failed, with both my main and backup IDs. I feel it was handled very poorly and irresponsibly, because the person should be informed.

And I understand how you feel about agonizing over it. I think I would try anything before ever considering banning someone, so I relate.

Nightowl >8#

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
     Heh. Nice edit. Minor nit. - (inthane-chan) - (37)
         I'll tell you why. - (pwhysall) - (36)
             Well stated Peter. Ditto for my situation - work and home. -NT - (jbrabeck) - (35)
                 Tis annoying... - (bepatient) - (34)
                     It takes time to find and edit an offensive subject line - (orion) - (33)
                         This I know. - (bepatient) - (32)
                             Possibility: auto-munging of title on insert - (Yendor) - (6)
                                 Funky monkey dancing!!! -NT - (admin)
                                 Worse than that. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                     That... should be - (folkert)
                                     Moral-LRPD: I'm very sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue - (Ashton)
                                 The code is there - (orion)
                                 This I could live with... with a twist... (new thread) - (folkert)
                             Banning? No. Never. - (folkert) - (16)
                                 Re: Banning? No. Never. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                     Peter also... - (folkert)
                                     We've been through those fires before. - (static) - (1)
                                         Re: We've been through those fires before. - (Nightowl)
                                 Re: Banning? No. Never. - (kmself) - (11)
                                     Cholmondeley's Annular Grillage Constant - (Ashton)
                                     Re: Banning? No. Never. - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                         ...the concept of...high-value content... - (kmself) - (8)
                                             You scare me -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 I think he's ahead of the curve. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Re: I think he's ahead of the curve. - (deSitter)
                                             Re: ...the concept of...high-value content... - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                 Moderation 101 - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Re: Moderation 101 - (Nightowl)
                                                 Translation into English... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 a good example of that is snmp - (boxley)
                             When did you become a moralizer? - (deSitter) - (7)
                                 RTFT - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                                     Fine - (deSitter) - (5)
                                         But... - (folkert) - (4)
                                             I said, fine - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                 Much thanks then to you Sir deSitter. - (folkert)
                                                 ObLRPD: - (admin) - (1)
                                                     ObLRPD: Swiftly thereafter, Choco Taco delight. - (drewk)

But I can't help but think that one of his primary functions is to serve as a warning to others.
86 ms