IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Peter...
I must be making some sort of sense to make you want to post something like that.

Last I checked this wasn't the science forum, but it is a related topic to this thread. It is the combination of science and religion which apparently is beyond your grasp or anyone else's here.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Riiiiiight.
It's not that you're talking a load of old toss, it's that everyone else doesn't "get it".

Glad we got that cleared up.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Re: Riiiiiight.
Interesting idiom "a load of old toss" - translate? There's a good chap.
-drl
New Re: Riiiiiight.
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
toss Noun. 1. Rubbish, nonsense. E.g."That play was toss, we should have gone to the cinema instead."
\r\n\t2. An act of masturbation.
\r\n\tVerb. To masturbate.
\r\nSee [link|http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm|http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm]

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New It is because
there is a religous element to it. So it gets rejected and not understood by those opposed to it.

I just had one relative die, and now my wife has a relative die on her side of the family. Death is so much easier for me to take when I believe in an afterlife. I can see faith in action in the faces of relatives. I have a uncle who is near death, and he found that he has to take his faith more seriously now. The look on his face, the terror of dying, not knowing when it will happen, not knowing how to manage it. I cannot begin to describe it. He found God, and he thinks it may be too late, but I told him that God forgives. I always looked up to him, he always did the ethical and moral things. Ran a Haunted House on Halloween for MD out of his basement, etc. His faith is Jewish, mine is Catholic, but we agree on the concept of God. Me, I am not afraid of dying. I fear many things, but death is not one of them. He said in the past he could not even look someone in th eyes and say he believed in God, but now he can. The doctors didn't give him good chances, but he lived past Christmas, which was his goal. He says prayers are what did it, many people prayed for him. His survival cannot be explained scientifically.

If you don't believe, that is your problem and not mine. I cannot change your mind. Nor do I want or desire to. All I ask is the right to believe in what I believe. Call it toss if you want, I know otherwise.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New potential root cause is fear of death? Interesting
How much of this fear of the unknown causes your mental states?
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Fear of the known
driving on highways scares me, as I could easily get into an accident and be all twisted up and messed up for life. Not die, but get so messed up that my life will suffer a great deal. I've seen the way other people drive and I've been in many accidents where I was a passinger. Even got trapped in a car and it lead to a fear of enclosed places.

Hard to say if this is unknown or known, you'd have to drive St. Louis highways to understand this fear. I've tried and been forced off into exit ramps, in other states doing that is against the traffic laws, but they do that a lot here.

New so fear is the main issue
I have driven around st louis as well as in the bronx and many other places. Perhaps fear is the basis of your illness, I dont know. Not trying to belittle you, fear can be a terrible enemy or a kindly friend.
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

New "The Gift of Fear" is an interesting book.
[link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440226198/102-6743024-5568945|The Gift of Fear] by Gavin de Becker at Amazon.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Perhaps it is part of the illness
it certainly stops me from doing certain things. The problem is me trying to get over those fears. So far I have been unable to do that, although I have tried.

New Re: Perhaps it is part of the illness
What you describe is not fear, it is chickenshitness. Real fear happens when you are confronted by an actual situation that will hurt you bad. Since you don't know this, you've never experienced it. Indeed you probably build your life around avoiding it (understandable, since it is no fun).

Refusal to accept challenges is not fear, it is chickenshititude. Chickenshittitude can be overcome - fear is basic, like pleasure and love. You can face fear but you can't avoid it, and the longer you put it off, the more it will hurt when it arrives.
-drl
New You have no idea what you are talking about
Norman was almost killed once when he almost went off a cliff with a friend who had a diabetic attack while driving.

Get your facts before spouting, Ross.

You need to back off and let people alone that you don't like, and stop picking on them... and STOP following me around in here just to make smart-assed remarks.

Nightowl >8#

"It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace. When we understand the other fellow's viewpoint, and he understands ours, then we can sit down and work out our differences." Harry S. Truman

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." Timothy Bentley
New Re: You have no idea what you are talking about
I don't pick on people, and you are too stupid to understand what I am saying. I am telling Norm the truth. If he doesn't like driving, he can stay off the roads. Indeed the way he talks about it, he would be doing everyone else a favor if he did.

(FWIW, I was in a rather bad motorcycle crash. I got back on the horse because I can live with fear. Indeed I am living with it as I write this.)

-drl
New You clearly stated...
That Norm had not been through something like that that truly put his life in danger.

Rosee wrote:>>Real fear happens when you are confronted by an actual situation that will hurt you bad. Since you don't know this, you've never experienced it.<<

I clearly stated back that he has indeed.

As for not picking on me, what was the point then of going into the Q & A thread and simply screaming? I was having a reasonable, logical conversation with people about my car and you came in there and screamed for no explainable reason.

Grow up, Ross.

Nightowl >8#

"It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace. When we understand the other fellow's viewpoint, and he understands ours, then we can sit down and work out our differences." Harry S. Truman

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." Timothy Bentley
New Re: You clearly stated...
That is not fear, that is horror - an instantaneous reaction to a bad situation. Fear is the awareness of an inevitable coming unpleasantness and the intense desire to avoid it. Courage is the ability to live with fear.

As for the screaming, well, to put it plainly, you drive me up the wall most of the time. As Jung would say, we are "shadows" of each other.
-drl
New Well as Scott said in the Hardware forum
KNOCK IT OFF, ROSS!

Nightowl >8#

New Not to mention
me being in many car accidents. I've almost died many times, and I am lucky to have survived, or even not been hurt. The fears are not groundless, but based on real events, real experiences.

New Re: Not to mention
Well, then stay off the roads if you're that bad a driver, or stay out of cars altogether. Simple solution no? But I would say, fear is what my quad friend in Arizona faces every day when he has to take a shit.
-drl
New perhaps you need to take up driving in demolition derbies
I am not saying your fear is groundless, I am saying you need to learn to function in a competent manner while in a fearful state. Fear of driving is understandable. Driving in an event where the object is to crash as many people as you can while in a fearful state might assist you in learning to cope with fear and allow you to confront other parts of your life where you are fearful in a more confident manner without becoming the antinorm.
thanx,
Bill
stick a spork in it.

New You have a point
except that my fear is not about driving, but driving on the highway. I can drive on local roads just fine, and never had an accident while I was driving. All of my accidents happened when someone else was driving.

Getting over my fear of driving just to drive on local roads was a major step for me. Just ask Nightowl as she knew me before I drove on local roads.

New Nah, I agree with Ross
I've been in a car crash that had a high probability of either killing me or paralyzing me. I was lucky enough to walk away with some deep cuts on my head, arms and legs requiring staples and stitches, glass in my eyes and the temporary loss of use of my left arm (about two months or so to regain nearly full strength.) I fought off passing out at the scene and had the mental wherewithal to check myself out physically to make sure I was going to be okay. I've had a few other near car accidents. I've had several bicycle crashes one a concussion that I blacked out from and later went to sleep at home with (didn't know that was a no-no) and several others that I nearly did a header into moving cars. I still drive, allow myself to be driven by others (someone else was driving in that car crash), still ride my bike, still rollerblade despite smashing my wrists during this past summer (very painful!)...

Grow a spine and some balls and just deal with things! It's amazing to see and read about people completely panicing in some situations, a lot of the time completely unjustified.

Quit whining and just deal with shit.
lister
     I won't walk on coals about that - (ben_tilly) - (183)
         Science and Religion meet here - (orion) - (116)
             There is a Christian anti everything else . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Not every Christian is a fundamentalist - (orion) - (5)
                     Re: Not every Christian is a fundamentalist - (deSitter) - (4)
                         Amen, brother-- and with holy vestments and 'blessed' oil.. -NT - (Ashton)
                         Stupidest thing I've read all year. - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                             Care to explain why? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 Or, in the words of Heinrich Heine: - (a6l6e6x)
             No, they do NOT meet here - (ben_tilly) - (30)
                 Yes indeed they do - (orion) - (29)
                     Talk about rapidly changing your position - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                         Fix your ring species link, please. - (admin)
                         Not really - (orion) - (4)
                             You can use whatever definition you want - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 Let us just agree to disagree then. - (orion) - (2)
                                     /me chuckles while pulling hair out -NT - (bepatient)
                                     Yes, we have passed the point of uselessness - (ben_tilly)
                     Norman... - (pwhysall) - (21)
                         Peter... - (orion) - (20)
                             Riiiiiight. - (pwhysall) - (19)
                                 Re: Riiiiiight. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Re: Riiiiiight. - (pwhysall)
                                 It is because - (orion) - (16)
                                     potential root cause is fear of death? Interesting - (boxley) - (15)
                                         Fear of the known - (orion) - (14)
                                             so fear is the main issue - (boxley) - (13)
                                                 "The Gift of Fear" is an interesting book. - (Another Scott)
                                                 Perhaps it is part of the illness - (orion) - (11)
                                                     Re: Perhaps it is part of the illness - (deSitter) - (10)
                                                         You have no idea what you are talking about - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                                             Re: You have no idea what you are talking about - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                 You clearly stated... - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                     Re: You clearly stated... - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                         Well as Scott said in the Hardware forum - (Nightowl)
                                                             Not to mention - (orion) - (4)
                                                                 Re: Not to mention - (deSitter)
                                                                 perhaps you need to take up driving in demolition derbies - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     You have a point - (orion)
                                                                 Nah, I agree with Ross - (lister)
             Science and Religion don't intersect much. - (JayMehaffey) - (60)
                 Re: Science and Religion don't intersect much. - (deSitter)
                 Oh yeah? - (orion) - (58)
                     Still not getting it - (JayMehaffey) - (57)
                         No you are not getting it - (orion) - (56)
                             Re: No you are not getting it - (JayMehaffey) - (54)
                                 You are getting some of it - (orion) - (53)
                                     Re: You are getting some of it - (JayMehaffey) - (52)
                                         One more time with feeling - (orion) - (51)
                                             Re: One more time with feeling - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
                                                 Some more information - (orion) - (6)
                                                     What was the point of that? - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
                                                         The point was - (orion) - (4)
                                                             Re: The point was - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                                                                 Apparently you missed part of that review quote - (orion) - (2)
                                                                     "Were atheists" ne "are atheists" - (ben_tilly)
                                                                     I saw that - (JayMehaffey)
                                             Ah, yes - (ben_tilly) - (42)
                                                 It shows an example - (orion) - (41)
                                                     You need some perspective - (ben_tilly) - (40)
                                                         excellent +10 - (deSitter)
                                                         And that is a decently compact one. - (Ashton)
                                                         More suspect evidence - (orion) - (37)
                                                             Talk about missing the point - (ben_tilly) - (36)
                                                                 I was presented it as - (orion) - (35)
                                                                     What is that about motes vs beams? - (ben_tilly) - (34)
                                                                         The truth is - (orion) - (33)
                                                                             Do you think that your opinion should count or not? - (ben_tilly) - (32)
                                                                                 Everyone's opinions count - (orion) - (30)
                                                                                     Re: Everyone's opinions count - (jake123) - (28)
                                                                                         Re: Everyone's opinions count - (deSitter)
                                                                                         Here in the US - (orion) - (26)
                                                                                             Not the same. - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                 I only ask - (orion) - (5)
                                                                                                     That's not what you said. -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                         What did I say? - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                                             MWBC. 'nuff said. -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                                                                 Sorry I did not get that - (orion) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Here's the one that I mean: - (jake123)
                                                                                             Re: Here in the US - (jake123) - (18)
                                                                                                 Well I could have been reading it wrong - (orion) - (17)
                                                                                                     That wasn't your point - (jake123) - (16)
                                                                                                         I had many points - (orion) - (15)
                                                                                                             Passive aggressive too -NT - (jake123) - (14)
                                                                                                                 You got more to add? - (orion) - (13)
                                                                                                                     Yes - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                                                                         I do agree with you somewhat - (orion)
                                                                                                                     Ok, let me have a whack at it - (hnick) - (10)
                                                                                                                         Qualified opinions - (orion) - (9)
                                                                                                                             Shopping for experts - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                                                                                                                 Heh.. - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                                 Searching for experts - (orion) - (6)
                                                                                                                                     Any possibility of useful conversation has ended - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                                                                                         Obviously you are mistaken - (orion)
                                                                                                                                         Let me put it another way - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                                                                             Re: Let me put it another way - (JayMehaffey)
                                                                                                                                             Please review the thread from the beginning. - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                                             Die, Norman! Die! (new thread) - (rcareaga)
                                                                                     But not equally - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                 In the words of Dinah Maria Mulock Craik, - (a6l6e6x)
                             You learn to Love the Mystery - (Ashton)
             You need to understand the meaning of the words you're using - (Another Scott) - (15)
                 Re: You need to understand the meaning of the words you're u - (deSitter) - (14)
                     9 times 6 is 42. -NT - (admin)
                     Yes and no. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                         That is not the reasonableness that Ross is asserting - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                             Hume discussed this - (jake123) - (1)
                                 And to quote Aleister Crowley . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Even more interesting "reasonableness" - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                 Info is in the Principia. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Re: Info is in the Principia. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         I'm not - (ben_tilly)
                                 Several things - (ben_tilly)
                                 Re: Even more interesting "reasonableness" - (deSitter)
                     To quote Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles... - (danreck) - (2)
                         Re: To quote Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles... - (deSitter) - (1)
                             It is the highest compliment I can give. - (danreck)
             And ill met they are - (tuberculosis)
         What I find unreasonable. - (static) - (64)
             Re: What I find unreasonable. - (deSitter)
             But that WAS NOT excluded from the possibilities! - (ben_tilly) - (41)
                 Oops? - (Nightowl)
                 I've been staying out of this... - (Nightowl) - (15)
                     Quite a few believe that - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                         I'm in that group - (FuManChu)
                         Speaking of Catholic thought - (ChrisR) - (12)
                             Nowhere in particular - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                 Tielhard only wrote once about Piltdown - (ChrisR) - (10)
                                     As I said, this I do not know about - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                         As long as this thread won't die - (ChrisR) - (8)
                                             I see no evidence of a global goal direction - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                 Meandering along - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                                     Re: Meandering along - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                         Which touches on a different concern I've had.... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                             Exactly! - (deSitter)
                                                         Your knowledge is insufficient - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                             Fascinating - I stand corrected! - (deSitter)
                                                     The boundaries are broader than you might think - (ben_tilly)
                 Good. - (static) - (23)
                     You did not answer the question - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         I rather thought I did. - (static) - (3)
                             Bullshit - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 I made a mistake. - (static) - (1)
                                     How you should interpret my actions - (ben_tilly)
                     Pardon me, but that'll be when pigs fly. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                         Why would I assail you? - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                             Okay, here we go. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                 Umm *cough* - I thought this had been "done": piecemeal - (Ashton) - (7)
                                     "Silly that"? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                         Re: "Silly that"? - (deSitter) - (4)
                                             Unless they look too deep. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                 ? It's right on the surface - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                     Concur. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                 You have to know what is relevant - (ben_tilly)
                                         Re: "Silly that"? - (Ashton)
                                 I think that you misunderstood me then - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                     What we can agree to disagree on. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                         If you need actual proof... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                             Ah... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                 Depends on which mathematical truth... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     IMO 'religion' is oft a sub-set: religiosity - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                         Einstein's thought on that: - (a6l6e6x)
             "special creation may have occurred" - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Ashton you know me better than that. - (static) - (3)
                     I think you meant... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                         Dang. Thanks. -NT - (static)
                     Why, of course.. - (Ashton)
             Touching faith in the GICB's omnipotence. - (Silverlock) - (15)
                 Re: Touching faith in the GICB's omnipotence. - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Fundamentalists don't like mystery - (JayMehaffey)
                     It is the Heat Death of the literalists - - (Ashton)
                 Re: "right wicked sense of humor"? - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
                     What I believe - (orion) - (10)
                         Re: What I believe - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
                             Re: What I believe - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 While you were out: - (danreck) - (1)
                                     s'OK Danno - (Ashton)
                             I see it as this - (orion) - (5)
                                 Didn't address the issue - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                                     Disagree - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                         That's true - (Nightowl)
                                         Re: Disagree - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                             It's most likely pointless - (Ashton)
         Faith and Science - (andread)

If the answer to your question starts with, "Well ... ", you're not going to like what comes next.
201 ms