IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I see.
Marijuana use is no more harmful than food. Classic.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Mike
Smoking dope is certainly no more harmful or dangerous than drinking booze, and I'd say less so (people on weed tend not to get into fights as easily, IME). Does this mean it's harmless? No. Does this mean it should be banned? No. While people I know thought dope was strictly harmless at one time, they basically abandoned that idea after they left high school, and grew wiser in the ways of the world.

As for the "dope is as harmless as food" strawman you're beating on... guess what? Food used in certain ways has enabled genocide (cf- Ukraine in the '30s). Should we ban food distribution systems? Baseball bats can be an afternoon's fun at the local park, or a night's terror at the same park after dark. Should we ban baseball bats? Beer can be fun with a barbecue, or a life-destroying drug when used all the time. Should we ban beer? Weed can be fun used in moderation, or something that leads to someone sitting around the house all day unbathed. Should we ban weed?

As for your personal experience, you'd probably be surprised at the number of people here who've smoked dope at one time, or even do so currently. If the stats in the general population hold true here, over a hundred of the people who've signed up have smoked dope at one time, and probably thirty or so do so regularly.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New I would not be surprised at their number.
I'm too tired to look, but I think I said I personally knew of perhaps 2 or 3 only that have never smoked it. Doesn't bother me to be in a very small minority ;-)

...they basically abandoned that idea after they left high school...

If I could be convinced that this were true among smokers more often than not, I might change my position on this issue. But, except for anecdotal evidence presented here, I have never seen any evidence to support that this is the common conclusion.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Try responding to what I actually said
Here it is in case you missed it, with emphasis:
If you are simply referring to a case where someone was driving while impaired, the same could be said of countless people using cell phones or eating while driving. Do you propose criminalization of food and cell phones? Even while not driving?
So I'll ask explicitly. When you posit a "simple truth: that even moderate use of marijuana can cause tremendous harm", what harm are you referring to? Since much of what's been written here was about the effects of impaired driving I assumed that's the "tremendous harm" you meant. If that is what you meant, then yes, food if eaten while driving can be as harmful as marijuanna.

Or were you talking about some other harm?
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
     Joe Biden's in trouble. - (marlowe) - (110)
         Re: Joe Biden's in trouble. - (rcareaga) - (104)
             Now why on earth would that hit a nerve with you? - (marlowe) - (17)
                 wrong again, marlowe - (rcareaga) - (16)
                     Wasted reasoning, I fear - - (Ashton)
                     No, I was speaking of anything that impairs judgement... - (marlowe) - (14)
                         That second link kills Galeon. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         Motes, beams - (rcareaga)
                         and there is the still-unassailable argument - (rcareaga)
                         In that case, Marlowe...PUT THAT BEER DOWN!!! NOW!!! - (jb4) - (9)
                             Too late. :) -NT - (inthane-chan)
                             And the cigarette! - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                 And stop going to Church. -NT - (Silverlock)
                             Nice try. I don't drink. - (marlowe) - (5)
                                 theres your solution, whats yer problem again? -NT - (boxley)
                                 Somehow - that doesn't surprise me. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     No doubt - he's the Churchlady - (deSitter)
                                 You don't drink. You also... - (rcareaga)
                                 Well. you should. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         Fix your HTML please. - (a6l6e6x)
             My RKJ. - (mmoffitt) - (85)
                 Gee, we have a certified physiologist in our ranks! - (jb4) - (16)
                     Since every study on that backs me up... - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                         Re: Since every study on that backs me up... - (deSitter) - (14)
                             Are you disputing where THC binds in the brain? - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                 Re: Are you disputing where THC binds in the brain? - (deSitter) - (2)
                                     Better idea. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         Makes more sense than banning a plant. -NT - (Silverlock)
                                 What I will dispute is the generalities: - (jb4) - (9)
                                     Methinks your reading with bias. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                         Decriminalize != legalize - (jb4) - (7)
                                             Perhaps. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                 (sigh) but mmoffit... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                                     Thanks. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                         Re: Thanks. - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                             Mom was in the car w/the 3 friends. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                 Re: Mom was in the car w/the 3 friends. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                     BG driver no better, but it wasn't, was it? - (mmoffitt)
                 I could introduce you to drunks - (boxley) - (1)
                     Re: I could introduce you to drunks - (deSitter)
                 Re: My RKJ. - (rcareaga) - (15)
                     Well.. typically though - the inexperienced with [whatever] - (Ashton) - (10)
                         It's not slogans, it's experience. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                             A good reason for you to try it - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                 I hate this topic. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                     Hey there - (deSitter)
                                     You haven't lost any friends. - (Silverlock)
                                     Nope. You're wrong. - (Another Scott)
                                     Thanks everybody :-) - (mmoffitt)
                                     no worries, lets give Jake a job to do (too old for google) - (boxley)
                             While I agree with much of what you are saying... - (screamer) - (1)
                                 Wot 'ee said. - (inthane-chan)
                     On one point, I wasn't clear. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Well, aren't we a spunky young feller! - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             That's my motto. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Re: That's my motto. - (rcareaga)
                 Right impulse, wrong instantiation. - (admin) - (49)
                     What he said -NT - (Silverlock)
                     People want to be able to measure things. - (Another Scott) - (47)
                         You know what I've always found interesting re: auto safety? - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                             What you've always found interesting - (rcareaga) - (36)
                                 It's like flying. - (mmoffitt) - (35)
                                     Re: It's like flying. - (rcareaga) - (34)
                                         But ... but ... but ... - (drewk)
                                         Nice try. - (mmoffitt) - (32)
                                             Re: Nice try. - (rcareaga) - (31)
                                                 Very nicely said! - (jb4)
                                                 Perhaps my attempt at levity did betray something more... - (mmoffitt) - (29)
                                                     Sounds to me like... - (admin) - (1)
                                                         That might help. - (mmoffitt)
                                                     That's an argument for education, not banning - (drewk) - (2)
                                                         QED. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                             Wow, talk about missing the point - (drewk)
                                                     the breadth of your sample - (rcareaga) - (23)
                                                         In the absence of any counter-example, what should I do? - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                                                             Re: In the absence of any counter-example, what should I do? - (rcareaga) - (21)
                                                                 Closer, but that's not really my position. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                                                                     "Anything not prohibited is required." - (drewk) - (5)
                                                                         That, and... - (admin)
                                                                         I see. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                             Mike - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                                 I would not be surprised at their number. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                             Try responding to what I actually said - (drewk)
                                                                     OK, work with me here - (rcareaga) - (13)
                                                                         Nomination for Post of the Day! Congrats! - (Another Scott)
                                                                         A request for enlightenment. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                                             Responsible means: not harming others. - (admin)
                                                                             Marijuana use - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                                 They aren't advocates... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                     Good Christ! We agree. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                         Sort of, yes we do. - (bepatient)
                                                                             What if the answer is "none"? What then? - (drewk)
                                                                             Re: A request for enlightenment. - (rcareaga)
                                                                             NORML on "responsible use" (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                                                             Re: A request for enlightenment. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                 Cohort-LRPD: Escape from the prison planet! -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                             Responsible Users - (tuberculosis)
                             2001 US stats from NHTSA.gov - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Re: 2001 US stats from NHTSA.gov - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     There ya go - (deSitter)
                                     Re: slow down - (bbronson)
                         Er... we already do it that way. - (admin) - (4)
                             True. Good points. - (Another Scott)
                             Re: Er... we already do it that way. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 No, that's all backwards - (drewk) - (1)
                                     Damn - you're right - (deSitter)
         too much recreational drug usage? - (boxley)
         If absence of drugs creates marlowes amongst the - (Ashton)
         One question - (tjsinclair) - (1)
             Whether or not they "mean it" is secondary - (bbronson)
         So why is Biden in trouble for proposing such a law... - (Simon_Jester)

Sufficiently advanced so as to be indistinguishable from magic.
319 ms