IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A note on your last comment
It doesn't bother me in the slightest that lots of people around here think that most people are idiots. Indeed that seems to be a pretty basic observation.

What bothers me is the associated assumption that IWETHEY manages to escape this trend.

This is an open community. It includes people of many different backgrounds and beliefs. In the pool we have a lot of different abilities and a broad range of experience. This is positive. But aside from the fact that we all are comfortable reading English, and most of us have an unusual degree of interest in computers, we also have a pretty broad spectrum of the possible shortcomings that you can see in humanity...

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New The basic assumption bothers me
mostly because I don't think it's true. I think the actual condition is something that could be interpreted as "dumbth" (to borrow a phrase from Ashton) but I've never believed anything is that simple.

The idea that a group is somehow exempt from its own criticisms isn't really a new phenomenon, though, and I don't really expect people to go around admitting their imperfections...
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Idiocy is relative
Set your standard for intelligent behaviour high enough, and virtually everyone will fall below it. Set it low enough, and your average chicken qualifies is brainy.

Moreover, the above misrepresents the situation substantially. Effective definitions of intelligence are contextual - different people are smart in different contexts. And different people apply a different context to judging intelligence, leading to different measurements of the abilities of various people.

When the effective definition of intelligence used is, "Can understand and discuss things in my interest areas," then by virtue of the fact that most of us are pretty specialized, most of the world looks like idiots. (This approach sometimes leads to groupthink.)

When the effective definition of intelligence used is, "Agrees with me," then people look like idiots again, and you are very prone to groupthink. Applying this concept of intelligence is why so many programmers are surprised to find out that there are very capable programmers across the entire spectrum of religious belief. (I have met programmers who are amazed that atheists really can be capable of logical thought, and others who are amazed that devout Christians can reason.)

And so on, and so forth. With most people thinking that most people are idiots. (Albeit they come to that judgement differently.) They may disagree on who is an idiot, but they agree that most are.

Whatever definition is chosen, most people of my aquaintance who are intellectually active have a standard for basic intelligence that includes being able to read competently if you had the opportunity to learn. And since over half of adults in the US are functionally illiterate despite theoretically having the opportunity to learn (the same is true for Canada BTW), they tend to agree that those people are idiots. Which means that they can agree on how to classify most Americans - and that classification is "idiot".

It could be argued that they are wrong to use that definition that concludes that. But that doesn't change the fact that they do think that way. And they generally don't think that it is bad to think that way - indeed it is easy to get most of them to admit thinking this way.

So let me sign off in idiocy...

Ben (believed by many to be an idiot)
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
     I strongly support his right to espouse stupid ass ideas - (boxley) - (52)
         Calling it "stupid ass ideas" is being generous. - (a6l6e6x) - (44)
             Wishing death upon anyone is despicable, however, .... - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                 "Muricans in general" - (cwbrenn) - (42)
                     For the pedantic of us. - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                         60% support the war in exactly the same way??? - (cwbrenn) - (40)
                             if it means anything british support for the war is 84% - (boxley)
                             Nice rant. - (inthane-chan)
                             "A few of them out there"? - (mmoffitt) - (33)
                                 Majority? And you know this how? - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                                     Re: And you know this how? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                         Beg your pardon :) - (cwbrenn) - (5)
                                             With apologies ... - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                 LOL - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                                                     Sheesh - (admin) - (2)
                                                         Sorry :) - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                             Ha! :-D -NT - (admin)
                                 I don't agree - (deSitter) - (24)
                                     Look closer, grasshopper. - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                                         Aye - (deSitter) - (10)
                                             And how many did she needlessly kill to get there? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             What really bothers me about this: it is racist. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                 Hey Ross, I'm still waiting for an answer. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                     dont listen to right wing talk radio much do ya - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         I try to avoid it. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                             naw, its the size of the audience that makes you jitter -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Re: Hey Ross, I'm still waiting for an answer. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                         Re: had no business in a combat zone. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                             Trouble is.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                 Great quote yourself. - (mmoffitt)
                                         problem with an all vol army is hessianism - (boxley) - (11)
                                             Here's a free clue: don't bet your savings on that. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                 heres a free clue - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     "...support them as you would garbagemen." - (Brandioch)
                                             That's great box. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 so auswitz camp guards and allied airmen are the same? - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         I know but the columnist is a bonafide demoleft -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                             Democrat != Left. Sorry to disappoint. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 self described card carrying liberal member carter admin -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                     Again, Carter != Left. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                         nononononono communists all :-) -NT - (boxley)
                             A note on your last comment - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 The basic assumption bothers me - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                     Idiocy is relative - (ben_tilly)
                             on your last comment about iwetheyers and idiots - (boxley)
         I wondered how long it would take... - (rcareaga) - (6)
             Billion, not trillion. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 But, who's counting? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 Quite right - (rcareaga)
             "fatuous"? I don't think so. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Re: "fatuous"? I don't think so. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Agreed - it's the equivalent of one backpack with Molotov - (Ashton)

In stereo.
94 ms