IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I wondered how long it would take...
for this to show up in "News Picks." (oops. Politics) Let's see...De Genova wishes for "a million Mogadishus." In that engagement we saw 18 Americans and (at a conservative estimate) 2000 Somalis sent to their rewards, so if we are to take the professor at his word he'd like to see eighteen million American deaths and...oh, dear, two trillion enemies and bystanders rubbed out.

He might just as well have wished aloud that Sauron would dispatch a million heavily-armed orcs to Iraq's assistance. Tough to take such a man seriously, and about as reasonable to tar the oppo with his remarks as it would be to assert that everyone backing the war favors turning Iraq into a plain of radioactive glass, as some of the conflict's bubblier partisans have advocated in sundry discussion groups.

Lecturers, also known as assistant professors, tend to be gypsy scholars, untenured, wandering from school to school. For those of you who feel De Genova should be punished for expressing an unpopular (and utterly fatuous) opinion, I suggest you check the Columbia faculty roster next fall semester.

cordially,

[edit: forum misidentified]
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
Expand Edited by rcareaga March 29, 2003, 04:30:58 PM EST
New Billion, not trillion.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New But, who's counting? :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Quite right
(counting on my fingers was impractical given the size of the numbers involved)

My apologies to Professor De Genova.

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga March 29, 2003, 04:10:33 PM EST
New "fatuous"? I don't think so.
See my post above and tell me wherein I'm failing.
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
New Re: "fatuous"? I don't think so.
It may well be argued, then, (as apparently this professor tries to argue) that only a billion Mogadishu's will cause the Murican populace to lose its infatuation with "video war" that, secretly, kills REAL PEOPLE

Actually he said "million" (I too have had problems with decimal places today), but if this was De Genova's subtext--that substantial American losses may be the only thing that will wean the Teeming Masses from their surreal thinking about warfare--then to that extent I am prepared to drop the modifying "utterly." However, given the numbers involved, his statement was vastly fatuous for the reasons cited above, and will serve not to set people thinking but, contrariwise, to stop thought processes in their tracks and provoke blind, unreasoning R-cortex fury among the TMs of our fair land. I fail to see what Prof. DG has accomplished apart from making of himself a handy real-life strawman for the war party.

cordially,
New Agreed - it's the equivalent of one backpack with Molotov
cocktail gear being found? planted? (Gawd we have Such reason to be paranoid about Spin, do we not?) at an Anti-WarBush rally:

SEE! THEY'RE ALL COMMIE PINKO DUPES. LET'S GET 'EM !!

cha cha cha

Ashton
     I strongly support his right to espouse stupid ass ideas - (boxley) - (52)
         Calling it "stupid ass ideas" is being generous. - (a6l6e6x) - (44)
             Wishing death upon anyone is despicable, however, .... - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                 "Muricans in general" - (cwbrenn) - (42)
                     For the pedantic of us. - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                         60% support the war in exactly the same way??? - (cwbrenn) - (40)
                             if it means anything british support for the war is 84% - (boxley)
                             Nice rant. - (inthane-chan)
                             "A few of them out there"? - (mmoffitt) - (33)
                                 Majority? And you know this how? - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                                     Re: And you know this how? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                         Beg your pardon :) - (cwbrenn) - (5)
                                             With apologies ... - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                 LOL - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                                                     Sheesh - (admin) - (2)
                                                         Sorry :) - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                             Ha! :-D -NT - (admin)
                                 I don't agree - (deSitter) - (24)
                                     Look closer, grasshopper. - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                                         Aye - (deSitter) - (10)
                                             And how many did she needlessly kill to get there? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             What really bothers me about this: it is racist. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                 Hey Ross, I'm still waiting for an answer. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                     dont listen to right wing talk radio much do ya - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         I try to avoid it. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                             naw, its the size of the audience that makes you jitter -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Re: Hey Ross, I'm still waiting for an answer. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                         Re: had no business in a combat zone. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                             Trouble is.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                 Great quote yourself. - (mmoffitt)
                                         problem with an all vol army is hessianism - (boxley) - (11)
                                             Here's a free clue: don't bet your savings on that. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                 heres a free clue - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     "...support them as you would garbagemen." - (Brandioch)
                                             That's great box. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 so auswitz camp guards and allied airmen are the same? - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         I know but the columnist is a bonafide demoleft -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                             Democrat != Left. Sorry to disappoint. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 self described card carrying liberal member carter admin -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                     Again, Carter != Left. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                         nononononono communists all :-) -NT - (boxley)
                             A note on your last comment - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 The basic assumption bothers me - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                     Idiocy is relative - (ben_tilly)
                             on your last comment about iwetheyers and idiots - (boxley)
         I wondered how long it would take... - (rcareaga) - (6)
             Billion, not trillion. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 But, who's counting? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 Quite right - (rcareaga)
             "fatuous"? I don't think so. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Re: "fatuous"? I don't think so. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Agreed - it's the equivalent of one backpack with Molotov - (Ashton)

You finding Ling-ling's head?
157 ms