IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, Well, Well...
It almost seems to me that Memory might be your biggy problem... Or a Bad IDE Cable for the CDROM and or HD.

But, the Preference of C:\\I386 or C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386 is merely a matter of choice. The reason I put them there is to make it so all my drivers and updates I want to put on the machine are all there. Also the Diskette is a Great one to have in your "Arse"nal anyway.

Therefore, just a matter of consolidation and standardization.

Back to your real probs, Still I'm betting it's memory. Take out half of it and install. If still Flaky, swap the other half in. Careful with static and all...

More responses will generate more replies... ;)

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
New Rilly Volatile memory..
Hmmm RVNVR! - added to list, both. Thanks. There isn't much to swap next, besides that and the CPU

Agree on naming convention - it's where it blong.. just wasn't *sure* that Doze was smart enough to find-later the I386 directory from an unexpected full address: even if one started winnt.exe from within that directory. After reboot, perhaps Doze comes back dumb? then punts.

My order next:

Get BIOS upgrade - once past the Dell sentry (ya gets no info w/o logging in with S/N, apparently, or I'd already have the file)
Use your recipe.
If no joy - pull one of the 128Mb chips, then other.
" " replace data cables. ("inspected" OK but not e- tested. No nicks.)

Then try A Scott's idea - reload the HD on my superior e-Machine, install on Dell. Boot to SAFE. Nuke hdwre list and redetect. Can't hoit.

Thanks for the sleuthing options,

Ashton
New I dunnah remember...
Did you ever get this resolved?
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
New Nope.
It would have come to buying new memory (or at least one of a necessary pair) - and since even the "Restore" disk could not even restore MErde on a blank disk.. my guess is that your guess is likely the case: ^*$&#@ memory. They were too cheap to send a populated mb, with vaguely-'tested' mem and CPU. L. (and we) had had about enough.

It's now in the limbo of just-about to file in Sm.Caims, though a local Tee Vee consumer show has twice brought up this charade with Dell-rep(o)s; wants us to hold off a bit more - each Dell PR promised to call L. and straighten out.. unimaginitive liars, those.

(She bought the G-4 and is getting work done)

If... they show her video/sound of my end of the conversation with various droids - I'll have to get an air check and pass on any juicy bits. ;-) Somehow the Simple Baldfaced lie irks me more than.. the massively orchestrated faith-based 'WMD'-sized one -- after all, at the moment, it's a Voice-Voice Personal Lie that has happened! Scum; Billy has sown the seeds well. It's most obnoxious of all - when an intentional dumbth is read off of cue cards, killing any chance for actual joint thought about The Problem. Y'know?

If in the end, this pile of debris doesn't go back.. I'll try to borrow a couple mem chips and give it another go -- thing is.. it booted Knoppix! thus somewhat vetting the cabling, CD and.. memory, less'n Lx is big about RAS-tafarian matters.

Thanks for your interest (I too hate to just drop a puzzle :(

Ashton

PS - apologies for ignoring the Q - I hadn't marked this forum read in a while, so just missed the new entries.
Expand Edited by Ashton Jan. 4, 2004, 08:12:11 AM EST
     More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze (or Crime Forum) - (Ashton) - (23)
         Maybe there's a way around it... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Mobo is a one-off.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Oh well. One final suggestion (that you may have tried).... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Thanks again. - (Ashton)
         Re: More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze - (deSitter) - (3)
             Captain Irascible wades in with - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Re: Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (Ashton)
         This may or may not be relevant - (andread)
         How's about.... - (folkert) - (5)
             Re: How's about.... - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Well, Well, Well... - (folkert) - (3)
                     Rilly Volatile memory.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         I dunnah remember... - (folkert) - (1)
                             Nope. - (Ashton)
         Waiting on pins and needles... - (Another Scott) - (7)
             [cackle] ... pining for the Fjords here. - (Ashton)
             The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Thanks for the update. Luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Well? Didja get this fixxored -NT - (folkert)
                 Re: The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Sorry.. missed these recent comments. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Good luck with the plan! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

It's administration policy.
71 ms