IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh well. One final suggestion (that you may have tried)....
What's the BIOS version? Have you tried the A09 (last) version dated 10/5/2001? Maybe it'll straighten out whatever the problem is. Check [link|http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/results.asp?sid=DIM_PNT_P4_8100&lang=EN&lib=1&os=WNT5&searchtype=filter&devid=308|here] on Dell's site.

A post is archived in Google's USENET archive say that Dell machines often act better on using a generic version of Win2K - e.g. [link|http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/MS_Access/Q_20097662.html|WarrenGlass's comment] - so going to Dell's version may not be an answer.

If you're running the latest BIOS, then maybe small claims court is an option.

Dimension 8100s on ebay are going for < $500-$600 or so with no OS.

If she just needs a Win2K machine there must be a cheaper and less aggravating way to get there. Perhaps buying a < $250 barebone mini-chassis boxes from NewEgg (if her expansion cards will fit), or this [link|http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2078637553|Compaq Presario with WinXP] for $299 ("buy it now") or less on ebay. (I've had good luck with Compaq Presarios running Win98 and WinMe but I know they have bad reputations.) There may be some other machines on ebay that already have Win2K and reasonable prices, but none came up in my quick checking.

Having a friend with computer problems who isn't able to spend any money to solve them really bites. :-(

I hope you get it figured out. That's about all I can suggest. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks again.
Yes, I think BIOS version is earlier than that - so this is next obvious change to make. That was on list to ask a Dell tech, if we could find a way to phrase the question w/o triggering a Dell s/ware purchase-only impasse.

I'll try signing in with her S/N later (they won't let in random browse, I note). Certainly we have to confirm with latest BIOS Rev - whether her court claim would be based on nondelivery of On-Site Service or.. something also more sinister concerning the 'merchantability' of the machine.

I note that the problems at your eXpertsXchange link seems ~ in her build time-frame, so maybe it is all about unintended BIOS glitches

There'll be a lawsuit in any event though, unless Dell reverses all previous behaviour and pays a claim for at least refund of the unfulfilled Service Agreement (etc). We'll ask a pro for some legal hints.

Thanks again, Scott for the germane suggestions. It may come to a bare-bones machine, though with enough moxie to run her GeForce2 Ultra, etc. In fact, with the new HD loaded with ME, peddling it may be next best relief.

re eBay: I noted long ago that they do whatever M$ 'suggests', concerning sales of even unopened legit. sealed s/ware. I stopped following the debate over their M$ policies, as the management is intentionally fully insulated from "The Community\ufffd" -- and has been for a couple years. As they become a virtual monopoly of web auctions - they emulate the Leader more and more. Of course.

Anyway, I'll have to see this through - maybe even via Presario or a sl. more fancy e-Machine than my own. Like most of us (I suppose) - I'll hekp until it becomes 'expected'.. the start of that familiar slope \\.

Ashton
     More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze (or Crime Forum) - (Ashton) - (23)
         Maybe there's a way around it... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Mobo is a one-off.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Oh well. One final suggestion (that you may have tried).... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Thanks again. - (Ashton)
         Re: More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze - (deSitter) - (3)
             Captain Irascible wades in with - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Re: Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (Ashton)
         This may or may not be relevant - (andread)
         How's about.... - (folkert) - (5)
             Re: How's about.... - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Well, Well, Well... - (folkert) - (3)
                     Rilly Volatile memory.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         I dunnah remember... - (folkert) - (1)
                             Nope. - (Ashton)
         Waiting on pins and needles... - (Another Scott) - (7)
             [cackle] ... pining for the Fjords here. - (Ashton)
             The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Thanks for the update. Luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Well? Didja get this fixxored -NT - (folkert)
                 Re: The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Sorry.. missed these recent comments. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Good luck with the plan! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

All you need is the GRR Memorial Secret Decoder Ring, and the translation is easy!
61 ms