IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze (or Crime Forum)
Since it's difficult to decide twixt the hard- and soft- ware place between rocks, and this has moved beyond &^$*& Brian-dead techno into a possible vendetta type activity.

The Anticlimax:

Armed with the pregnant tip of (Another) Scott, we proceeded to what seemed a possible cure - if hardly a believable explanation. That is, since the 8100 model and W2K surfaced in a similar time frame, and surely these two long-term bedmates have pillow talk - HTF could the firmware in BOTH a DVD player and a CD/RW (stamped out in the 100Ks one supposes) be "incompatible" with the timimg loops of a #%*$& Billy Install program??

When last we messed with this mess:
Having been snookered into letting W2K go with a lone selection of HPFS at last stage -- (having mysteriously swallowed the FAT-32 option at this particular point).. we found that M$ considers this a one --> way 'choice'.

FDISK might remove the partition marks and think it wiped the sucker - but the W2K Install *just knew* we really wanted Only *HPFS. (Media Descriptor byte? Subtlety in MBR?). Ditto using the Dell secret 'clean1K' alleged wipe util. we were tipped on.

* (when *you* folks argue FAT-32 vs HPFS: well, I had to go with De Sitting One's recap: just maybe you win a bit on HP if.. you have a humongous number of small files -- like some boring SPAM dbase? But she will be doing streaming video to an actual purpose. More tools around for FAT - you need so many.)

Dredge up Ghost; install on a laptop to decompress gdisk. Wipe MBR. Try again. Not enough. Set options to create in one-pass, 1 primary partition, set active and Quick-format FAT-32 (ie skip media test - already SpinRited) It did that rilly fast.. for 80 MB!

THAT got back the choices. On with FAT-32. This time used CD/RW as boot device, thinking perhaps the DVD was possibly Dubya-impaired. No dice: Endless Install Still.

OK, per Billy Note: W98 boot-disk w/CDROM drivers (and add-on xcopy.exe from its DOS 7 repository in \\command, on YAN laptop = NOT a hint from BillyCo of course).

Copy the whole schmeer of "i386" onto HD. This time Install asks if we want to nuke "a previous install" - You Bet. Now it looks as if it might be doing it. Until the unannounced reboot AGAIN at what should have been EOF for the drill.

NO CHANGE! Used Norton Commander to erase some leftover $-temp humongous files still left on HD, for the ultimate try. Nope - remains stubborn as a Vulcan in a blood-lust marriage contract.

Since Dell won't tell you shit unless you buy your W2K from them, no matter how much Other grief they have caused elsewhere (what a Fucked industry you guys suffocate in).. we're running outta ideas. This same CD has routinely installed W2K on now 2 laptops and an e-Machine, for test of course. Not a peep put of these installs. A child could do it - maybe that's mandatory..

Moving the ".cabs" to HD eliminates any supposition of a CD-reader problem - unless that 'problem' tricks xcopy's CRC too (!?) Lastly, to test the CD-reader M$-excuse: we used the Restore CD (on the unused replacement HD) to successfully install *that* POS - without any taxi .cab dances: from SAME CD/RW..

And all this with a refurb? = different MB than first tries, and SpinRite tested media. ALSO: both the DVD and CD/RW will boot BBC-Linux just like a real piece of hardware would! SO then - what possibly might Dell insert in the BIOS? == which could discriminate between a Retail W2K package and a Dell-W2K purchased package? Subtly mad DDR? mem chip = not bad enough to nuke MErde? My thought is: anything so overtly scurrilous as a 'special' W2K for Dell? would have been detected by now and broadcast widely with suitable mockery.

We'll prolly put on 98-SE, about the last vaguely-reliable spy-free kluge (not counting NSA trapdoor and a few others, perhaps). No SP-3 with a EULA there (we wouldn't install SP-3 anyway - for W2K). Maybe the fancy Autodesk graphics program can live in a dejunked 98 enviro and maybe not - ME isn't even a remote selection, even tho 'free'/ it's ~ worth.

Now I'm more curious about how this might be done ... than pissed at the dedicated and OBV intransigence and silly juvenile obstructions of the Dell Droids, y'know?

Anyone ever experience similar? Thanks for perusing our soap of the day, even if you ain't got no theory..

Ashton
Screw You Bally - HPFS *IS* reversible you slimy Bastards, and you could make it EZ!
H.T.F. do youse gals n'guys stay ~sane-like~ dealing with THIS kind of crap?
Daily ?!?
A pirated sample selection, "Carmen Fantasy" - played by Sergei Nakariakov on trumpet: to the solutionizer! (Damn, been paying too much attention to W-speak lately)
Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 8, 2002, 06:17:50 AM EST
New Maybe there's a way around it...
Can you install the Dell's HD in the e-Machine (as a slave), copy the whole Win2K CD there, then install the HD in the Dell and do the install from the HD? That should get around the CD problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dell put some mumbo-jumbo in the BIOS to look for a Dell version of the Win2K CD. Have you entered the Win2K serial number before all the nonsense happens? Maybe there's something about the serial number that's bothering it. Recall that DeSitter (IIRC) said his Dell laptop would only accept Dell-numbered repalcement laptop HDs. If it still crashes on installing from the HD after asking for the serial number, then see if she can find a Dell Win2K serial number at work as a work-around. If it still fails then, then I think you've got to try different hardware.

Before sending money to Dell for an "approved" copy of Win2K, I'd stick another non-Dell motherboard in it. Abit (KT7A) and Soyo (Dragon+) are AMD boards I've used recently and have been happy with. The Soyo board is nice in that it has 4 IDE ports, built-in sound and 10/100 ethernet, and comes with a smart-card reader. Newer ones are faster and fancier. You should be able to a reasonable P3/P4 board for less than Dell would charge for Win2k. Just make sure all your memory, etc., will transfer and that the board will fit in the case. Browse around [link|http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=280&DEPA=1|http://www.newegg.co...atalog=280&DEPA=1] for NewEgg's Intel CPU boards.

It's a real hassle to put up with all of this. I hope you get it figured out for your friend soon. She's going to owe you a bottle of [link|http://www.bbr.com/GB/db/product/32568B?sort_order_F=R&ID=QCZTBWSD4180013|Lefite Rothschild 1982], if you're into the smell of "lead pencil" in your wine... :-)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Mobo is a one-off..
Thanks for suggestions. I had in fact installed W2K on that HD in my e-Machine. I recall someone's idea of booting into SAFE on the Dell and nuking the whole hardware setup folder - for redetection of Dell's h/ware.

Perhaps I should have tried that; if I'd suspected an intentional ploy on Dell's part re desire for a s/ware monopoly too: I would have. (It's unclear though - if this is a clever enough BIOS flag? - that that ploy would have had any more success ??) I went with the popular concept that - all M$ stuff loves to see/make a blank repartitioned disk, for best luck.

Besides - having moved entire i386 folder to HD: this was an install from HD, most recently. It cannot be a DVD, CD firmware question - only something endemic to Dell firmware - which I presume is the oNLY affecting source, once POST has passed a boot process onto the OS. (Remember - the LNX-BBC booted from either reader OK - prolly no Dell auto-kill-Linux flag installed. Yet.)

Mobo: This assembly is a combo of actually fairly convenient tool-less access + cheesy plastic parts, plus: a mobo with a rivetted L-panel on back - which fits into a hole in the case back. Onboard this L are the useful diags. LEDs (which worked, led to possible bad connection in the mem. chips initially. Fixed with Tweak.)

I can't imagine a generic mobo fitting sanely - for another thing, the mobo has affixed a metal slider which is the one point bottom support via a stud in case bottom [+ a big grounding screw] as only physical attachment points. Clever discriminatory design: use Dell parts or die.

I / we'll have to ponder the vicissitudes of court action - non-performance on her extended On-site service contract, never honored, VS a need for her to get some specific s/ware running. So unless someone has troubled to out-fox Dell for the sheer Goodness of such a project - this devolves to a political problem as much as technical = how best for her to move on: maybe to Apple, which can also run her prof.-needed s/ware.

Of course too, maybe even 98SE install will run into same problem; no doubt her Rescue-98 for the laptop is model-coded similarly. Will try a generic 98SE install, of course too. MErde is not an option for her pro software (accounting, graphics) needs. Even the s/ware mfg. folks say That. (Besides - they didn't provide her with the Key code for her 'facory installed' MErde/disk => YAN call to get That from Dell) No point in asking a droid about crippled BIOS now, is there?

Heh.. she cooks well. And I wouldn't go through all this crap (and with another friend who Likes screwing with M$-crapware! Poor guy.) for anything less than love. I take this to be a microcosm of just how shitty has been the fallout, for millions? of M$-Intel-Dell predators who make these toy machines with 0 concern for end-users. But then - you guys knew that.

This lady gave clear info on all her calls, exhibited monumental patience (she is well informed about biz-psych and about transparent ploys intended to stall). She documented the conversations and has phone-extension 2nd party admissible evidence of the methods employed. (I wasn't involved until recently).

We both want to take this to court - only question next to be answered is: prob. of collecting - even with a Judgment on her behalf. Dell has no shame and likely would defy via all possible means. As in this [link|http://www.summitlake.com/COMPUTERS_NET/DELL_20020209.html| letter].

Hey.. she recently talked to an old acquaintance who had similar problems with a Dimension - and after One Thousand phone calls over a couple years [This one is the def'n of Persistent] - that person finally got a new machine recently, but with XP and.. she has New Problems and ... {sigh}

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I think thus far - she's screwed if 98 also won't load. And she will buy Nothing next from Dell, even if it might 'run' for a time. Let them whistle for return of the 'old' mobo/HD for at least as long a time as she has been ignored.

Regards,

Ashton.
New Oh well. One final suggestion (that you may have tried)....
What's the BIOS version? Have you tried the A09 (last) version dated 10/5/2001? Maybe it'll straighten out whatever the problem is. Check [link|http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/results.asp?sid=DIM_PNT_P4_8100&lang=EN&lib=1&os=WNT5&searchtype=filter&devid=308|here] on Dell's site.

A post is archived in Google's USENET archive say that Dell machines often act better on using a generic version of Win2K - e.g. [link|http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/MS_Access/Q_20097662.html|WarrenGlass's comment] - so going to Dell's version may not be an answer.

If you're running the latest BIOS, then maybe small claims court is an option.

Dimension 8100s on ebay are going for < $500-$600 or so with no OS.

If she just needs a Win2K machine there must be a cheaper and less aggravating way to get there. Perhaps buying a < $250 barebone mini-chassis boxes from NewEgg (if her expansion cards will fit), or this [link|http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2078637553|Compaq Presario with WinXP] for $299 ("buy it now") or less on ebay. (I've had good luck with Compaq Presarios running Win98 and WinMe but I know they have bad reputations.) There may be some other machines on ebay that already have Win2K and reasonable prices, but none came up in my quick checking.

Having a friend with computer problems who isn't able to spend any money to solve them really bites. :-(

I hope you get it figured out. That's about all I can suggest. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks again.
Yes, I think BIOS version is earlier than that - so this is next obvious change to make. That was on list to ask a Dell tech, if we could find a way to phrase the question w/o triggering a Dell s/ware purchase-only impasse.

I'll try signing in with her S/N later (they won't let in random browse, I note). Certainly we have to confirm with latest BIOS Rev - whether her court claim would be based on nondelivery of On-Site Service or.. something also more sinister concerning the 'merchantability' of the machine.

I note that the problems at your eXpertsXchange link seems ~ in her build time-frame, so maybe it is all about unintended BIOS glitches

There'll be a lawsuit in any event though, unless Dell reverses all previous behaviour and pays a claim for at least refund of the unfulfilled Service Agreement (etc). We'll ask a pro for some legal hints.

Thanks again, Scott for the germane suggestions. It may come to a bare-bones machine, though with enough moxie to run her GeForce2 Ultra, etc. In fact, with the new HD loaded with ME, peddling it may be next best relief.

re eBay: I noted long ago that they do whatever M$ 'suggests', concerning sales of even unopened legit. sealed s/ware. I stopped following the debate over their M$ policies, as the management is intentionally fully insulated from "The Community\ufffd" -- and has been for a couple years. As they become a virtual monopoly of web auctions - they emulate the Leader more and more. Of course.

Anyway, I'll have to see this through - maybe even via Presario or a sl. more fancy e-Machine than my own. Like most of us (I suppose) - I'll hekp until it becomes 'expected'.. the start of that familiar slope \\.

Ashton
New Re: More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze
Will you please produce a prose version of this? I just can't parse this. It's like Perl.
-drl
New Captain Irascible wades in with
techno-pop irrelevance. Let's see..

There's a sequential list of exact steps in the process tried, with (I believe) descriptions at least as intelligible as your X-Man666.JPG monologues. YOU are gonna lecture ME on 'clear prose'?

Offhand I can't think of any omitted info that is relevant: This is a Dell Dimension 8100, ordered in early 2001 (and shipped a month late of promised delivery). It is a deal made in Hell - which she could not get a RMA to return - and she ain't no dummy. (Delivery too late - to merely cancel CC payment) Of Course she was not Aware! at the time, of what a viper's nest of unconscionable mercantile Bastards she had gotten in with - HTF Would a civilian know all the crap you guys have heads infested with ??

This is a person who spends a Lot of time rescuing animals abused by Yuppie households who like to give puppies to the Logo-clad kiddies, never train the animal (or the kid.. about responsibility for same miserable creature) -- then drop it off at the local 'Shelter' for asassination as er, it's Too Big Now and the kid's into SoccerBalletTaeKwan-D'Oh and Nintendo Gorillas Eat Virgins after Flamethrowers Rot Their Flesh.

So THAT's why I am involved - she has been screwed out of an operational machine, flaky from Day One; purchased from an alleged reputable Peddler of what now seems to be sabotaged Crap - mangled to assure that only Dell$ BillyWare will function on the POS. This total purchase included a notebook (fortunately w/ 98 and not MErde installed). Total with other stuff was >$4 K IIRC. Her records of interactions with the DellDroid purveyors of delay - is a (likely soon) court-ready dossier of nasty obstructive behavior.

Probably it is as A-Scott suggests - somewhere there's a flag for Non-Dell purchased ordinary s/ware, a la Compaq's same dance in the early days, using hardware with special mechanical shapes. The mobo is Special, and an attached L-shaped panel is a part of the rear of the case. So much, I think for - freeing of Dell BIOS / sabotage.

Maybe she will choose Apple, write this off - invoke Song-Beverly CA consumer protection Act and go after Dell, win, then try to collect. yada yada. That takes more money, and most of her activities do not generate money.

If you haven't a techno insight into getting around this likely scenario, then Fuck Off. She hasn't $$ to waste for the immediate satisfaction of crushing this POS. And if you can't understand my prose - you didn't get this far.

Ashton
New Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :)
Well, you translated it into another form of Ashton! Can you separate the tech support issue from the editorial? No offense, but I'm interested in the problem as perceived by the user.
-drl
New Re: Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :)
No, just my reply to quips. I know about catching more bears with honey, when dealing with Corp droids (who may know better but must follow exact scripts - I never judge them stupid until an answer reveals such; have to deal with them in any case.) Please see my reply to Greg re recap.

Thus far it appears there's a BIOS upgrade to be done and, the M$-site instructions failed to list correct? expected directory for the I386 compressed files as, C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386. This may be the final glitch - and the remedy just may work next. WHY? the need for remedy with Dell - may or may not emerge.

Actually, from the first - the machine was plagued with instabilities - various kernel32 and other errors (she wrote down) and then.. the oft-reported Win-ME extreme slowdowns. There were errors made re other things she ordered. I omitted what seemed irrelevant to present situation, now using a new HD (and exchanged mobo). Among ongoing complaints: frequent crashes of an indispensable billing program; insufficient info to see a pattern in crash messages (where there were any, before lockup).

When I arrived on the scene, it was issuing a self-diagnostic on the HD, "I'm about to die" - somewhere I noted exact wording. That was enough for Dell to send a new one. Various other reports induced the Dell tech to send a new (refurb) motherboard too. Events with the W2K install attempts followed the sequence I described. My listing may be bare enough for you to grok, in the version after Greg's suggestion.

Thanks,

Ashton
New This may or may not be relevant
I have a bunch of IBMs that have W2K pre-installed
unless you use the IBM restore disk you can't install 2K on these machines w/o first upgrading the BIOS (like by using a MS W2K CD)

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New How's about....
Okay Ashton. Here we go:
1. Make a bootdisk from Win98SE withCHOICE.COM, DOSKEY.COM, EBD.CAB, EDIT.COM, EDIT.HLP, EMM386.EXE, EXTRACT.EXE, FDISK.EXE, FORMAT.COM, HIMEM.SYS, MSCDEX.EXE, OAKCDROM.SYS, SMARTDRV.EXE, XCOPY32.EXE, XCOPY.MOD, XCOPY.EXE in A:\\command. And AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS in A:\\. IO.SYS, COMMAND.COM and MSDOS.SYS should be there from the FORMAT A: /s
2. Make CONFIG.SYS look like this:
[menu]\nmenuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.\nmenuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.\nmenudefault=CD,30\nmenucolor=7,0\n\n[CD]\ndevice=a:\\command\\himem.sys /testmem:off\ndevice=a:\\command\\oakcdrom.sys /D:cd001\n\n[NOCD]\ndevice=a:\\command\\himem.sys /testmem:off\n\n[COMMON]\nfiles=60\nbuffers=20\ndos=high,umb\nstacks=9,256\nlastdrive=z\n
3. Make AUTOEXEC.BAT look like this:
@ECHO OFF\nset EXPAND=YES\nSET DIRCMD=/O:N\ncls\nset temp=c:\\\nset tmp=c:\\\npath=a:\\;a:\\command\n\nIF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT\nLH a:\\command\\MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd001 /L:D\nLH a:\\command\\SMARTDRV.EXE\n\n:QUIT\n
4. Next boot machine from Diskette with either choice (without is faster)run FDISK, answer YES to the "Do you want to use Large Addressing (or what have you). Proceed to delete all exisitng partitions. Create *A* single new large partiton using the whole disk. Reboot machine.
5. Rebooting machine *WITH* CDROM support this time.Do a FORMAT C: answering yes to the question (no "system" transfer though). Do a MD C:\\Windows, then MD C:\\Windows\\Options, then MD C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386, then CD C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386. Put the "Windows2K" or "WindowsXP" CD in the CD-ROM Drive. Do a CD D:\\ . Next from there(C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386) do an xcopy D:\\I386\\*.* /s/e .
5. From there you will need to run the:C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386\\WINNT.EXE answer all of your questions the way you want. WindowsXP has drivers for most of the common Drive Controllers out the now.

If you want to convert the Drive to NTFS, that is your option. You can always do it after you upgrade and all is well. From a "CMD" window, CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS it won't be able to, but will ask if you want to schedule it for the next re-boot. You should answer YES (seeing as you just tried to anyway).

Any problems addressed, when NON-Obfuscated tales reported to *US* Shakesperian(sp?) deprived individuals.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Dec. 9, 2002, 12:37:16 PM EST
New Re: How's about....
Hmm - a work of art, yet - gracias.

It's a beautiful summary, and I'll save it in event of any encounter with XP, also apply the corrections [see below]. This is alas, about W2K-Pro. There may be something there I haven't grokked in relation to the present problems, but so far it looks as if my sequential tale was inadequate. (Yes the Oak CD-ROM drivers, etc. were part of the W-98 std. 'emergency boot disk' - though agreed that above config.sys and autoexec.bat are different). Obv. the drivers worked well enough to load until the GUI-Install stage.

The recurrent problem has been:
With wiped new HD (or re-wiped after trial) the W2K Pro retail CD appears to do all the normal steps of an install, but at end - it bounces back to the box, "Starting Install... ".

On my e-Machine it completes the install. With CD removed, a reboot produces normal HD startup of W2K-Pro. Ditto for the other trials on two Toshiba laptops. Only the Dell NG.

To clarify the matter of NTFS (which I mistakenly titled 'HPFS'!) At end of last session, during what (always does) seemed like a normal install - the FAT-32 option disappeared from the early Setup screen. I elected to try for an install anyway - just one more tested option. That scheme failed to get out of the loop, either. M$ considers a switch to NTFS a one-way switch, at least as far as the CD install capabilities go.

The prestidigitations to nuke the NTFS: showed that a mere FDISK wipe was insufficient; that is - a next attempt via CD produced also a screen with no FAT-32 option. Sorry but.. I lacked the time and PFY? to record verbatim every stage of this now-familiar sequence of screens in a W2K install.

I aborted that install, and we used the gdisk util in Norton Ghost to wipe partition table and do a Quick-format of FAT-32. That succeeded in that, on next install attempt: the FAT-32 option returned to the screen; it was selected and install proceeded -- to same loop as before.

After reboot from HD w/o any CD (in either tray), an error message seeking the Install CD appears after what seems a W2K 'normal Install-type' screen in PATRIOT-Act colors. Cancel the request for CD [which will just restart another loop] elicits (finally) the sys complaint:
Setup failed to install the product catalog. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press [OK] to view: <I did>

E:\\1386 or was that i386?\\ NT5INF.CAT catalog file could not be found. The error code is 1.

Incorrect function.

The Signature for WIndows 2000 Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is 1.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error
(Another) Scott found this [link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228852| M$ note] which seems to address the same error message, and describes the Problem as being: "loss of CD-ROM access when GUI-Mode Setup starts".

Since the 'stages' of Install are not at all defined, I cannot be sure that that IS the problem of the enless loop - but I followed the Rx
WORKAROUND
Use a Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98 Startup disk with CD-ROM drive support to copy the I386 folder from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM to the hard disk. Then, run Winnt.exe from the copied folder to install Windows 2000.

Now I note in your above procedure (which does not state the Problem it is addressing?) that the location for the i386 directory should be a subdirectory, C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386. And perhaps that WILL make the difference in the W2K (not XP) install also. I'll incorporate what I can glean from above in another try.

In fact, the Install did start, following setup as this rather terse M$ hint suggested: via running WINNNT.EXE from the HD and with CD removed. This was done from DOS and from C-drive. It ended in same loop.

In brief, while the autoexec.bat and config.sys files were more complex and with different options available than above -- all along there has been no apparent problem in the CD being read from either the DVD reader or the CD/RW writer/reader: until this stage. Maybe M$'s description is spot-on and the GUI-Install point uses a different CD-reader driver.. which a Dell DVD OR CD/RW can't use.

I could post the lengthy contents of these, if that seems appropriate (?). Prolly better to just use yours. In fact there was no need of manual intervention in the original and subsequent partitioning, FAT-32 selection, etc. All occurred normally via W2K-Pro Instll CD.. UNTIL the one event which I described above. That alone required some DOS manipulations to restore the FAT-32 Option on the table of available disk format choices.

(A) Scott mentioned the BIOS version and I see that's the next logical upgrade before next try. I'll try your XP method - which in effect is what we did = via xcopy and all, but the directory path was just C:\\I386 = I see that, that alone might have rendered it unreachable. How silly of us to take M$ instructions literally..

Thanks for the help,

Ashton
New Well, Well, Well...
It almost seems to me that Memory might be your biggy problem... Or a Bad IDE Cable for the CDROM and or HD.

But, the Preference of C:\\I386 or C:\\Windows\\Options\\I386 is merely a matter of choice. The reason I put them there is to make it so all my drivers and updates I want to put on the machine are all there. Also the Diskette is a Great one to have in your "Arse"nal anyway.

Therefore, just a matter of consolidation and standardization.

Back to your real probs, Still I'm betting it's memory. Take out half of it and install. If still Flaky, swap the other half in. Careful with static and all...

More responses will generate more replies... ;)

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
New Rilly Volatile memory..
Hmmm RVNVR! - added to list, both. Thanks. There isn't much to swap next, besides that and the CPU

Agree on naming convention - it's where it blong.. just wasn't *sure* that Doze was smart enough to find-later the I386 directory from an unexpected full address: even if one started winnt.exe from within that directory. After reboot, perhaps Doze comes back dumb? then punts.

My order next:

Get BIOS upgrade - once past the Dell sentry (ya gets no info w/o logging in with S/N, apparently, or I'd already have the file)
Use your recipe.
If no joy - pull one of the 128Mb chips, then other.
" " replace data cables. ("inspected" OK but not e- tested. No nicks.)

Then try A Scott's idea - reload the HD on my superior e-Machine, install on Dell. Boot to SAFE. Nuke hdwre list and redetect. Can't hoit.

Thanks for the sleuthing options,

Ashton
New I dunnah remember...
Did you ever get this resolved?
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
New Nope.
It would have come to buying new memory (or at least one of a necessary pair) - and since even the "Restore" disk could not even restore MErde on a blank disk.. my guess is that your guess is likely the case: ^*$&#@ memory. They were too cheap to send a populated mb, with vaguely-'tested' mem and CPU. L. (and we) had had about enough.

It's now in the limbo of just-about to file in Sm.Caims, though a local Tee Vee consumer show has twice brought up this charade with Dell-rep(o)s; wants us to hold off a bit more - each Dell PR promised to call L. and straighten out.. unimaginitive liars, those.

(She bought the G-4 and is getting work done)

If... they show her video/sound of my end of the conversation with various droids - I'll have to get an air check and pass on any juicy bits. ;-) Somehow the Simple Baldfaced lie irks me more than.. the massively orchestrated faith-based 'WMD'-sized one -- after all, at the moment, it's a Voice-Voice Personal Lie that has happened! Scum; Billy has sown the seeds well. It's most obnoxious of all - when an intentional dumbth is read off of cue cards, killing any chance for actual joint thought about The Problem. Y'know?

If in the end, this pile of debris doesn't go back.. I'll try to borrow a couple mem chips and give it another go -- thing is.. it booted Knoppix! thus somewhat vetting the cabling, CD and.. memory, less'n Lx is big about RAS-tafarian matters.

Thanks for your interest (I too hate to just drop a puzzle :(

Ashton

PS - apologies for ignoring the Q - I hadn't marked this forum read in a while, so just missed the new entries.
Expand Edited by Ashton Jan. 4, 2004, 08:12:11 AM EST
New Waiting on pins and needles...
Any updates?

Or was [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=68047"|this] a reference to this thread? :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New [cackle] ... pining for the Fjords here.
(Er that was about.. the return of the Addled Poster(s).)

I was hoping to have something +positive+ lest reports seem mere er more whinging.. {sigh}

Turns out: the label on the refurb mb was wrong - said BIOS Rev A01 == the old one. But.. it's really A09 == latest. Scratch therefore one small hope for an explanation of the Endless Install.

So then I asked self - can this POS install ANYTHING? (It was 'running' on old HD warts & all) Ran the Restore ME disk + the new HD: it got through to Key code - there was no key code stuck to or noted on anything Dell included. Tried the W2K one (in old days, this sometimes worked) - no dice.

Now I'm waiting for Owner.. to er interface with Dell folks and get a code; save my on-fone appearances as conslutant with meter-running, for when we battle over compensation for her denied On-Site service. yada.

Can't try Greg's suggestion re memory exactly - there are the minimal 2 (one pair) so I can't try just one. I will however swap places - on off chance it will matter. As they're already 'Tweek'ed for good contact.. fat chance.

I still don't understand how the default (Oak) CDROM drivers can function well enough to transfer all this stuff (from either DVD or CD/RW players), how it can boot BBC-Linux! while auto-detecting hdwre etc. Then go all Dubya on the last part! I'll try Greg's hot-setup in any next session.

ie yeah.. I wanna find out the solution to this mystery too, and hope she gets on the horn soon. This is nutty and IF there's some BIOS flag which recognizes Dell-sold VS other Doze versions: then I can imagine a few things to do with that info. Nutty indeed.

I envision another wearing down of excuses not to assist, via the Brandioch Aristotelian Method - to get a &*$%# pair of memory sticks and a NEW CPU and/or a new reader (or reason why these need also a BIOS update: something Dell *should* know). I can't reach that data without signing in -with S/Ns- it may come to that (with her #s). Silly you can't access their Kbase generally; what's to lose?

My Dream: new entry at fuckedcompany.com: Dell. [hah]

Cheers,
Ashton, suspended.
Time to bug someone again..
New The Dell fails final test, ignominiously.
We resolved that the final test for the duration would be: that it simply load its own Restore disk of Win MErde, onto the new HD and the refurb mobo. If it accomplished that, to a first approximation, Dell might conclude they had fulfilled a major requirement. (Then we would address the W2K and other issues.)

Alas - random crashes persisted during install, though it did complete, unlike the W2K endless loop. Moot that it did not find the GeFORCE driver and instead defaulted to 640/480, or that first install was mouseless. The fact of kernel 32 and other messages, random crashes on a clean install with no aps loaded: is as far as I/we shall persist. (Greg's memory clue could well be apt) We won't be letting them ship that, then a week later a CPU. Then CD/RW? Another mobo? yada

Letter, reports to Mikey Dell next, prep small claims court forms - prepare for presentation to a consumer muckraking show on local Tee Vee station (in SF). She wants a full refund for entire purchase - as she had requested within 72 hrs/ of its arrival. By now, maybe it's in the cards: Dell has in fact done nothing re her warranty. We shall have to become a thorn.

I'd sorta like to find out what broke, of course - but this-all has reached the ridiculous stage. Time to fight. More tasty tidbits as & when.

Ashton
When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
New Thanks for the update. Luck!
New Well? Didja get this fixxored
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
New Re: The Dell fails final test, ignominiously.
Ashton, I have some Dell parts that you may or not be able to use. They came out of my niece's Dell machine with a motherboard failure that I disassembled for parts. I threw away the case and can no longer tell you what model it was. However it was a Pentium III 733 Mhz desktop machine. The processor is of the slot type (i.e. plugs in like a card edge) with attached cooling fins. The memory is one 128Mb module made by NEC -- [link|http://www.chipdocs.com/pndecoder/datasheets/NEC/MC-4R128CEE6C-745.html|MC-4R128CEE6C-745]. It is non-ECC memory. I believe, but do not know for a fact, the parts good.

If the parts could be of use, you are welcome (i.e. gratis ) to either or both of these items. Let me know here and if you do, I'll email you (at vom) for a mailing address.

Alex

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true. -- Demosthenes, Greek orator (384-322 BCE)
New Sorry.. missed these recent comments.
Appreciate offer; alas this be a P-4 with (whatever is the fancy paired RAS-sensitive memory spread of now near-3 years ago).

As mentioned in (belated) reply to Greg - depending on how court? or TeeVee? goes - I may give a try with known good memory, on the boxed-up entrails. Hope is: a guy shows up at door and we give him a big box, in exchange for a check.. or maybe CASH.

(Irony abounds - no problems with down-grading the later Dell 4400 recently; of course I needed no 'support' from Dell, nor would they have answered any questions about nuking Ex Pee!)

Thanks for kind offer,

Ashton
New Good luck with the plan!
Alex

In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty. -- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US president
     More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze (or Crime Forum) - (Ashton) - (23)
         Maybe there's a way around it... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Mobo is a one-off.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Oh well. One final suggestion (that you may have tried).... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Thanks again. - (Ashton)
         Re: More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze - (deSitter) - (3)
             Captain Irascible wades in with - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Re: Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (Ashton)
         This may or may not be relevant - (andread)
         How's about.... - (folkert) - (5)
             Re: How's about.... - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Well, Well, Well... - (folkert) - (3)
                     Rilly Volatile memory.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         I dunnah remember... - (folkert) - (1)
                             Nope. - (Ashton)
         Waiting on pins and needles... - (Another Scott) - (7)
             [cackle] ... pining for the Fjords here. - (Ashton)
             The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Thanks for the update. Luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Well? Didja get this fixxored -NT - (folkert)
                 Re: The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Sorry.. missed these recent comments. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Good luck with the plan! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Not CRRRRRRAP!
144 ms