Yes, I think BIOS version is earlier than that - so this is next obvious change to make. That was on list to ask a Dell tech, if we could find a way to phrase the question w/o triggering a Dell s/ware purchase-only impasse.

I'll try signing in with her S/N later (they won't let in random browse, I note). Certainly we have to confirm with latest BIOS Rev - whether her court claim would be based on nondelivery of On-Site Service or.. something also more sinister concerning the 'merchantability' of the machine.

I note that the problems at your eXpertsXchange link seems ~ in her build time-frame, so maybe it is all about unintended BIOS glitches

There'll be a lawsuit in any event though, unless Dell reverses all previous behaviour and pays a claim for at least refund of the unfulfilled Service Agreement (etc). We'll ask a pro for some legal hints.

Thanks again, Scott for the germane suggestions. It may come to a bare-bones machine, though with enough moxie to run her GeForce2 Ultra, etc. In fact, with the new HD loaded with ME, peddling it may be next best relief.

re eBay: I noted long ago that they do whatever M$ 'suggests', concerning sales of even unopened legit. sealed s/ware. I stopped following the debate over their M$ policies, as the management is intentionally fully insulated from "The Community\ufffd" -- and has been for a couple years. As they become a virtual monopoly of web auctions - they emulate the Leader more and more. Of course.

Anyway, I'll have to see this through - maybe even via Presario or a sl. more fancy e-Machine than my own. Like most of us (I suppose) - I'll hekp until it becomes 'expected'.. the start of that familiar slope \\.

Ashton