IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 3 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Maybe there's a way around it...
Can you install the Dell's HD in the e-Machine (as a slave), copy the whole Win2K CD there, then install the HD in the Dell and do the install from the HD? That should get around the CD problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dell put some mumbo-jumbo in the BIOS to look for a Dell version of the Win2K CD. Have you entered the Win2K serial number before all the nonsense happens? Maybe there's something about the serial number that's bothering it. Recall that DeSitter (IIRC) said his Dell laptop would only accept Dell-numbered repalcement laptop HDs. If it still crashes on installing from the HD after asking for the serial number, then see if she can find a Dell Win2K serial number at work as a work-around. If it still fails then, then I think you've got to try different hardware.

Before sending money to Dell for an "approved" copy of Win2K, I'd stick another non-Dell motherboard in it. Abit (KT7A) and Soyo (Dragon+) are AMD boards I've used recently and have been happy with. The Soyo board is nice in that it has 4 IDE ports, built-in sound and 10/100 ethernet, and comes with a smart-card reader. Newer ones are faster and fancier. You should be able to a reasonable P3/P4 board for less than Dell would charge for Win2k. Just make sure all your memory, etc., will transfer and that the board will fit in the case. Browse around [link|http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=280&DEPA=1|http://www.newegg.co...atalog=280&DEPA=1] for NewEgg's Intel CPU boards.

It's a real hassle to put up with all of this. I hope you get it figured out for your friend soon. She's going to owe you a bottle of [link|http://www.bbr.com/GB/db/product/32568B?sort_order_F=R&ID=QCZTBWSD4180013|Lefite Rothschild 1982], if you're into the smell of "lead pencil" in your wine... :-)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Mobo is a one-off..
Thanks for suggestions. I had in fact installed W2K on that HD in my e-Machine. I recall someone's idea of booting into SAFE on the Dell and nuking the whole hardware setup folder - for redetection of Dell's h/ware.

Perhaps I should have tried that; if I'd suspected an intentional ploy on Dell's part re desire for a s/ware monopoly too: I would have. (It's unclear though - if this is a clever enough BIOS flag? - that that ploy would have had any more success ??) I went with the popular concept that - all M$ stuff loves to see/make a blank repartitioned disk, for best luck.

Besides - having moved entire i386 folder to HD: this was an install from HD, most recently. It cannot be a DVD, CD firmware question - only something endemic to Dell firmware - which I presume is the oNLY affecting source, once POST has passed a boot process onto the OS. (Remember - the LNX-BBC booted from either reader OK - prolly no Dell auto-kill-Linux flag installed. Yet.)

Mobo: This assembly is a combo of actually fairly convenient tool-less access + cheesy plastic parts, plus: a mobo with a rivetted L-panel on back - which fits into a hole in the case back. Onboard this L are the useful diags. LEDs (which worked, led to possible bad connection in the mem. chips initially. Fixed with Tweak.)

I can't imagine a generic mobo fitting sanely - for another thing, the mobo has affixed a metal slider which is the one point bottom support via a stud in case bottom [+ a big grounding screw] as only physical attachment points. Clever discriminatory design: use Dell parts or die.

I / we'll have to ponder the vicissitudes of court action - non-performance on her extended On-site service contract, never honored, VS a need for her to get some specific s/ware running. So unless someone has troubled to out-fox Dell for the sheer Goodness of such a project - this devolves to a political problem as much as technical = how best for her to move on: maybe to Apple, which can also run her prof.-needed s/ware.

Of course too, maybe even 98SE install will run into same problem; no doubt her Rescue-98 for the laptop is model-coded similarly. Will try a generic 98SE install, of course too. MErde is not an option for her pro software (accounting, graphics) needs. Even the s/ware mfg. folks say That. (Besides - they didn't provide her with the Key code for her 'facory installed' MErde/disk => YAN call to get That from Dell) No point in asking a droid about crippled BIOS now, is there?

Heh.. she cooks well. And I wouldn't go through all this crap (and with another friend who Likes screwing with M$-crapware! Poor guy.) for anything less than love. I take this to be a microcosm of just how shitty has been the fallout, for millions? of M$-Intel-Dell predators who make these toy machines with 0 concern for end-users. But then - you guys knew that.

This lady gave clear info on all her calls, exhibited monumental patience (she is well informed about biz-psych and about transparent ploys intended to stall). She documented the conversations and has phone-extension 2nd party admissible evidence of the methods employed. (I wasn't involved until recently).

We both want to take this to court - only question next to be answered is: prob. of collecting - even with a Judgment on her behalf. Dell has no shame and likely would defy via all possible means. As in this [link|http://www.summitlake.com/COMPUTERS_NET/DELL_20020209.html| letter].

Hey.. she recently talked to an old acquaintance who had similar problems with a Dimension - and after One Thousand phone calls over a couple years [This one is the def'n of Persistent] - that person finally got a new machine recently, but with XP and.. she has New Problems and ... {sigh}

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I think thus far - she's screwed if 98 also won't load. And she will buy Nothing next from Dell, even if it might 'run' for a time. Let them whistle for return of the 'old' mobo/HD for at least as long a time as she has been ignored.

Regards,

Ashton.
New Oh well. One final suggestion (that you may have tried)....
What's the BIOS version? Have you tried the A09 (last) version dated 10/5/2001? Maybe it'll straighten out whatever the problem is. Check [link|http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/results.asp?sid=DIM_PNT_P4_8100&lang=EN&lib=1&os=WNT5&searchtype=filter&devid=308|here] on Dell's site.

A post is archived in Google's USENET archive say that Dell machines often act better on using a generic version of Win2K - e.g. [link|http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/MS_Access/Q_20097662.html|WarrenGlass's comment] - so going to Dell's version may not be an answer.

If you're running the latest BIOS, then maybe small claims court is an option.

Dimension 8100s on ebay are going for < $500-$600 or so with no OS.

If she just needs a Win2K machine there must be a cheaper and less aggravating way to get there. Perhaps buying a < $250 barebone mini-chassis boxes from NewEgg (if her expansion cards will fit), or this [link|http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2078637553|Compaq Presario with WinXP] for $299 ("buy it now") or less on ebay. (I've had good luck with Compaq Presarios running Win98 and WinMe but I know they have bad reputations.) There may be some other machines on ebay that already have Win2K and reasonable prices, but none came up in my quick checking.

Having a friend with computer problems who isn't able to spend any money to solve them really bites. :-(

I hope you get it figured out. That's about all I can suggest. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks again.
Yes, I think BIOS version is earlier than that - so this is next obvious change to make. That was on list to ask a Dell tech, if we could find a way to phrase the question w/o triggering a Dell s/ware purchase-only impasse.

I'll try signing in with her S/N later (they won't let in random browse, I note). Certainly we have to confirm with latest BIOS Rev - whether her court claim would be based on nondelivery of On-Site Service or.. something also more sinister concerning the 'merchantability' of the machine.

I note that the problems at your eXpertsXchange link seems ~ in her build time-frame, so maybe it is all about unintended BIOS glitches

There'll be a lawsuit in any event though, unless Dell reverses all previous behaviour and pays a claim for at least refund of the unfulfilled Service Agreement (etc). We'll ask a pro for some legal hints.

Thanks again, Scott for the germane suggestions. It may come to a bare-bones machine, though with enough moxie to run her GeForce2 Ultra, etc. In fact, with the new HD loaded with ME, peddling it may be next best relief.

re eBay: I noted long ago that they do whatever M$ 'suggests', concerning sales of even unopened legit. sealed s/ware. I stopped following the debate over their M$ policies, as the management is intentionally fully insulated from "The Community\ufffd" -- and has been for a couple years. As they become a virtual monopoly of web auctions - they emulate the Leader more and more. Of course.

Anyway, I'll have to see this through - maybe even via Presario or a sl. more fancy e-Machine than my own. Like most of us (I suppose) - I'll hekp until it becomes 'expected'.. the start of that familiar slope \\.

Ashton
     More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze (or Crime Forum) - (Ashton) - (23)
         Maybe there's a way around it... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Mobo is a one-off.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Oh well. One final suggestion (that you may have tried).... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Thanks again. - (Ashton)
         Re: More aDellterous happenings - moved to Doze - (deSitter) - (3)
             Captain Irascible wades in with - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Re: Is This How You Deal With Tech Support? :) - (Ashton)
         This may or may not be relevant - (andread)
         How's about.... - (folkert) - (5)
             Re: How's about.... - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Well, Well, Well... - (folkert) - (3)
                     Rilly Volatile memory.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         I dunnah remember... - (folkert) - (1)
                             Nope. - (Ashton)
         Waiting on pins and needles... - (Another Scott) - (7)
             [cackle] ... pining for the Fjords here. - (Ashton)
             The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Thanks for the update. Luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Well? Didja get this fixxored -NT - (folkert)
                 Re: The Dell fails final test, ignominiously. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Sorry.. missed these recent comments. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Good luck with the plan! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

If the enemy is in range, so are you.
135 ms