IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, Bitburg
I remember. Although I’ve known people who would disagree to the point, I daresay, of insisting that no German combatant from that conflict deserves a grave marker, there are inevitably military cemeteries full of Wehrmacht dead throughout the Bundesrepublik Deutschland, and I haven’t a problem with this myself. Reagan’s visit was, I think, merely tone-deaf (although profoundly so) rather than indicative of actual Nazi sympathies (I wouldn’t extend Trump the benefit of the doubt on this point any farther than I could spit a rat, as Douglas Adams once put it). Recall that Ross insists that the statues of Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Nathan Bedford Forrest, et cetera are to be understood as—well, I’ll let him speak for himself: “If I have any sympathy it is for the common soldier, who was lucky to own livestock, much less a slave, and who felt himself to be defending his country against invaders. And it is he who is represented by the monuments.” So, see, it only looks like a statue of Bloody Bill Anderson, but it’s really a celebration of the brave irregulars who fought for their country.

cordially,
New I remember Ross.
But you might want to pass along this link to him.

A very dear and longtime friend (one of the first members of my college club I mention below) sent that link to me. It's impossible to argue against being a "useful idiot" for the Confederate 1 per cent whilst arguing for the statues to remain. Having an ancestor who was one of the paupers that fought for the Confederacy in the storied NC 26th regiment, survived Pickett's Charge, and surrendered with Lee at Appomattox (I have his POW card to prove it) that Ross apparently thinks so highly of, I can perhaps better understand Ross' position on the statues than many. But if he reads that article, it will be impossible for him to conclude anything other than being a proponent of keeping the statues up is nothing more than continuing to be a useful idiot for the Confederate one per centers; just as was my ancestor.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     of cornerstones and plinths - (rcareaga) - (29)
         Re: the common soldiers of the Waffen SS - (mmoffitt) - (28)
             Yeah, Bitburg - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 I remember Ross. - (mmoffitt)
             How is that hypocritical? - (drook) - (3)
                 "widely suspected" - (Ashton)
                 And yet, he persisted. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     (I bloody-well visited THAT pernicious Place/also described an odd event--in these parts.) - (Ashton)
             Huge diff. Says so right in the first sentence of the NYT article: - (CRConrad) - (21)
                 Ellie Wiesel thought I did. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                     Well-done, young Nazi-Stalker! (one of the few [+] connotations of that word? :-) -NT - (Ashton)
                     They were a) actual corpses, not statues; b) 2.5 % Waffen-SS, 97.5 % Wehrmacht. - (CRConrad) - (18)
                         Re: He could be wrong, and there he was; - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                             Intent matters - (drook) - (12)
                                 Yes, it does. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                     Do you know the difference between "action" and "intent"? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                         One more time, slowly. - (mmoffitt)
                                     You're still just as wrong. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                         Re: You're still just as wrong. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                             Heh - (drook) - (3)
                                                 I'm sorry. I didn't know you were so unfamiliar with English. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                     More - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Preamble qualified all of that as "In my view." HTH. Again. Context is everything. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 There can be 'intent' ... clouded with umm.. ... insouciance? - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     You sure you want to go there? - (drook) - (1)
                                         Umm, where is that 'Writ-for-textbook-adornment' ? - (Ashton)
                             There is also significant difference among . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 Heh. "Administrative". You mean like scheduling trains? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Yup, and placing orders for more ovens. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Disctinctions are of scale only - (scoenye)

As Sam Goldwyn said, "I'm sick of the old cliches. Bring me some new cliches."
52 ms