IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ellie Wiesel thought I did.
WASHINGTON, April 19— President Reagan listened intently today as Elie Wiesel, chairman of the United States Holocaust Memorial Council, implored him to cancel a visit to a German cemetery where Nazi war dead are buried.

''That place, Mr. President, is not your place,'' Mr. Wiesel told Mr. Reagan at White House ceremonies honoring the 56-year-old writer. ''Your place is with the victims of the SS.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/20/us/wiesel-confronts-reagan-trip-president-visit-bergen-belsen-survivor-holocaust.html

I remember this very vividly. I had just established a new club at my college named "Students for the American Way" and our first campus display was a poster showing Holocaust victims along side a Christmas celebration for Nazis. The title of the poster said, "President Reagan says these are victims (above Holocaust victims) and these are victims, too (above the Nazis)". We had a bucket of gray armbands and asked that students wear one that day to "Honor the victims of the people our President goes to honor today." It was sad to see only a few armbands on students, but nearly the entire faculty wore them that day.

Edit: My horrid misspelling of Wiesel.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Aug. 22, 2017, 08:36:37 AM EDT
New Well-done, young Nazi-Stalker! (one of the few [+] connotations of that word? :-)
New They were a) actual corpses, not statues; b) 2.5 % Waffen-SS, 97.5 % Wehrmacht.
Not to say Elie Wiesel was more fallible than anyone else, but even he wasn't infallible either. He could be wrong, and there he was; just as wrong as you.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Re: He could be wrong, and there he was;
YMMV, but I'd a whole hell of a lot rather be just "as wrong as Ellie Wiesel" on a moral issue than stand with people advocating honoring Nazis - live or dead.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Intent matters
Reagan acknowledged the evils of the past, and was making a point to show that despite that past we could now work together.

Those who erected the Confederate statues in the 20s - and more in the 60s - were saying that despite the official surrender of the South, whites are still in charge.

Jews and skinheads alike go to Auschwitz. One group to remember, the other to reminisce. Intent matters.
--

Drew
New Yes, it does.
Knowingly laying a wreath at the graves of dead SS is equivalent to saying, "All is forgiven." Which sounds awfully like the argument you're making.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Do you know the difference between "action" and "intent"?
--

Drew
New One more time, slowly.
"Reagan acknowledged the evils of the past, and was making a point to show that despite that past we could now work together." That's what YOU said, right? So, the intent of the wreath laying was to say, "We forgive you the atrocities, now let's move forward". It was fucking clear to even the most blind that we were capable of "working together" with West Germany (FFS!!!ONE1) without have to lay a wreath on the graves of dead SS.
bcnu,
Mikem

New You're still just as wrong.
Da Moff confidently proclaims:
"Knowingly laying a wreath at the graves of dead SS is equivalent to saying, "All is forgiven."
A) No it isn't. That's your interpretation, and as so often from you, it's wrong again. It could just as well be equivalent to saying "we grieve for the deaths of these ordinary soldiers" -- and I'm pretty sure that was what Reagan meant. For one thing, that goes for the Waffen-SS too; for another, you seem to very quickly have got into this silly habit of pretending those other 1,950 guys weren't there.

B) Even if it were: So what? Are the Germans, as a people, never going to be forgiven; pariahs for ever and ever? (Dunno if you've noticed already, but pretty much all of them that were around then are long dead.) How is that attitude different from "Never forgive the Jesus-killers!" anti-semitism?
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Re: You're still just as wrong.
A) Merely stating as a fact YOUR opinion does not define a fact. Nor does it even offer the weakest of arguments as to the superiority of your opinion to that of Ellie Wiesel, me and the overwhelming majority of sentient beings who do not give a rat fuck that those "brave boys in brown" who were not SS, technically, and were, I suppose you'd argue, not really Nazis in that grave yard helped keep the trains running on time or maybe just killed or helped others to kill Allied Forces who where trying to overthrow Hitler. Fuck them, the memory of them and their contributions to the Reich.

B) WTF? Who is advocating never forgiving the German people? We're talking about not honoring the corpses of the people who aided Hitler in his atrocities FFS.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Heh
Merely stating as a fact YOUR opinion does not define a fact.

Physician, heal thyself.
--

Drew
New I'm sorry. I didn't know you were so unfamiliar with English.
How'd this sub-thread start? Oh yeah, I posted this:
I don't disagree with your sentiment on the issue(s) of today. However, I can understand why some would view your latest post, if taken to be the general consensus, as hypocritical given how popular Ronnie Rayguns was and remained even after he shamed (in my view anyway) our nation with his antics on that horrible day in May, 1985.

"In my view anyway" is not a phrase used in English to express statements of fact.

HTH.
bcnu,
Mikem

New More
Anyone who claims that Reagan was not (at the very least) a Fascist sympathizer didn't pay attention to the 1980's.

Knowingly laying a wreath at the graves of dead SS is equivalent to saying, "All is forgiven."

So, the intent of the wreath laying was to say, "We forgive you the atrocities, now let's move forward".
--

Drew
New Preamble qualified all of that as "In my view." HTH. Again. Context is everything.
bcnu,
Mikem

New There can be 'intent' ... clouded with umm.. ... insouciance?
As when {same guy..} LET FAIL that Genuine, genuinely-Possible *real* Joint-Action to begin eliminating All Nukes. Period.

Ronnie had this little-dream-inside; "Star Warz" == close-enough - and By-golly (plus a jar of Jelly Beans)
He Waren't gonna let that little (er WEAPON-dream) be upstaged by [see ^above^]

So, sorry then: pure-intent don't mean a whole lot, where the Reasoning is defective / emulates what was LOST at Reykjavik :-/

There is no algorithm extant, far as I've heard, as bestows Instant Wisdom on ..a flake.
Now let's define flake, Wash/rinse.. (Let's not even Try 'Reasoning', 'K?)

[Referents] Don't Leave Home without a correct one, sez Chase (et al)
New You sure you want to go there?
If his reasoning is so faulty you won't give him credit for a positive concept, then you can't give him fault for the negative ones.
--

Drew
New Umm, where is that 'Writ-for-textbook-adornment' ?
IIR~C the overall-mood there was about Hopes in that --> Direction, so any credit is Shared-already. Boolean has its limits, (I have wotted.)
;^>
New There is also significant difference among . . .
Waffen SS (regular soldiers in the field),
Allgemeine SS (General SS, political and administrative)
SS-Totenkopfverbände (ran the death camps).

In Germany Waffen SS veterans have long campaigned for veteran's benefits, as they considered themselves soldiers like other soldiers, not involved with the nasty stuff.
New Heh. "Administrative". You mean like scheduling trains?
bcnu,
Mikem

New Yup, and placing orders for more ovens.
The Waffen SS was not entirely innocent either, having participated in several massacres, but blame can be more specifically placed there.

A major weakness of the "I was just following orders" defense is that many German soldiers did refuse to participate in executions, and were not punished for that.
New Disctinctions are of scale only
The Waffen SS participated in the Einszatsgruppe and its vagaries towards the occupied populations and opposing forces are notorious.
     of cornerstones and plinths - (rcareaga) - (29)
         Re: the common soldiers of the Waffen SS - (mmoffitt) - (28)
             Yeah, Bitburg - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 I remember Ross. - (mmoffitt)
             How is that hypocritical? - (drook) - (3)
                 "widely suspected" - (Ashton)
                 And yet, he persisted. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     (I bloody-well visited THAT pernicious Place/also described an odd event--in these parts.) - (Ashton)
             Huge diff. Says so right in the first sentence of the NYT article: - (CRConrad) - (21)
                 Ellie Wiesel thought I did. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                     Well-done, young Nazi-Stalker! (one of the few [+] connotations of that word? :-) -NT - (Ashton)
                     They were a) actual corpses, not statues; b) 2.5 % Waffen-SS, 97.5 % Wehrmacht. - (CRConrad) - (18)
                         Re: He could be wrong, and there he was; - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                             Intent matters - (drook) - (12)
                                 Yes, it does. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                     Do you know the difference between "action" and "intent"? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                         One more time, slowly. - (mmoffitt)
                                     You're still just as wrong. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                         Re: You're still just as wrong. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                             Heh - (drook) - (3)
                                                 I'm sorry. I didn't know you were so unfamiliar with English. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                     More - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Preamble qualified all of that as "In my view." HTH. Again. Context is everything. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 There can be 'intent' ... clouded with umm.. ... insouciance? - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     You sure you want to go there? - (drook) - (1)
                                         Umm, where is that 'Writ-for-textbook-adornment' ? - (Ashton)
                             There is also significant difference among . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 Heh. "Administrative". You mean like scheduling trains? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Yup, and placing orders for more ovens. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Disctinctions are of scale only - (scoenye)

I don't usually win conversations this decisively.
172 ms