I tried it once when I was about 6. That was enough for me.

so you want the program and prefer that someone else bears the cost, no wonder you like the Obama tax plan steal from the other guy and pass the savings on to you

Heh.

I don't have any kids either, so SCHIP doesn't affect me personally. It affects society, though, so that affects me.

a better idea would be to expand the medic taxes they already deduct from everyone to cover SCHIP

Maybe. I have no problem with tobacco taxes, myself. If people want to smoke or chew or sniff tobacco, they should be willing to pay part of the price for the damage it does to society.

Whether SCHIP should be partially/mostly/exclusively funded by tobacco taxes is certainly debatable. Presumably if the taxes are draconian enough then eventually there will be too little money coming in to fund SCHIP. As I said, I think SCHIP is a good program that should be funded. I personally have no qualms with paying for it another way.

I like Obama's tax plan because I think that we pay for government expenditures, one way or another. Directly paying for them through high-enough taxes makes more sense to me than paying for them through inflation or excessive interest rates or the other alternatives that damage society as a whole. The upper income portion of our society is much better able to pay higher taxes than the bottom half or two-thirds.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.