IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thats why you exempt food and clothing.
Apparently you neglected to read the post.

The reason people perceive sales tax as regressive is because the poor spend more of their income on basic goods (food clothing) so a higher percentage of their income is taxed...which is why you exempt those items.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New And that makes it non-regressive?
Nope. I read your post. I just want to see you say that a sales tax is non-regressive.

Or to see you put restrictions on it so you can say it is non-regressive.

I'm going to bet that you will refuse to say that simple thing.
New I never made that claim.
By itself, a sales tax, even one that exempts clothing and food, >is< regressive.

However, I did not say that sales tax alone should be used, did I? So why are you even bothering to try and pigeon-hole the argument around it?

New Just wondering why you're advocating it.
Since you seem to agree that it is regressive.
-AND-
You're the one with the big rants about "fairness".

So, why are you even considering a REGRESSIVE tax in your plan?

In fact, combined with the flat tax, the ENTIRE plan you've proposed would be REGRESSIVE.

And you think this is a good idea?
New Entertaining yarn at IRS site.
There are some broken links, but [link|http://www.irs.gov/individuals/display/0,,i1%3D1%26genericId%3D15601,00.html|What is Fair?] is an entertaining yarn. Marlowe might enjoy it. :-)

Regressive taxation has problems. Progressive taxation has problems. Proportional taxation seems appealing (it's aka as a Flat Tax). But (if truly flat) it causes the government to lose control over encouraging or discouraging certain economic actions, so is less appealing to politicians.

A national sales or VAT tax is more appealing if it is simple and transparent. It might or might not be regressive depending on how it is structured. (Just as an income tax isn't automatically progressive, a sales or VAT tax isn't automatically regressive.) If it's not simple and transparent, then it's of little advantage over an income tax, IMO. But the people writing the laws usually have people yelling for exceptions - e.g. the [link|http://www.flatoday.com/legislature/stories/0121prevtaxref.htm|recent difficulties in FL with the state sales tax].

Cheers,
Scott.
New If you insist...
...on being an idiot...don't ask me to assist.

Sales taxes alone are regressive. Exempting necessities reduces the amount by which they are regressive.

Now...why are they regressive? Because >some< people don't spend all of their money.

SO...you add a flat tax on all income over a certain amount. >That< tax would be >progressive<.

Would you mind detailing how a combined system of one regressive and one progressive makes the whole thing regressive? I'm really up for some entertainment...and I'm sure your attempt to explain this will provide that.

New It isn't me that has the problem.
I ask you why you're advocating a tax structure that is regressive.

If you insist......on being an idiot...don't ask me to assist.
So, I'm being an idiot because I'm asking why you're advocating a tax structure that is regressive.

Hard to argue with logic like that.

Sales taxes alone are regressive. Exempting necessities reduces the amount by which they are regressive.
Ummm, regressive is regressive is regressive. Are you saying that regressive is a good thing?

Now...why are they regressive? Because >some< people don't spend all of their money.
Ummmmm, no. They are regressive because the people who make less money pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes than people who make more money.

Regressive.

SO...you add a flat tax on all income over a certain amount. >That< tax would be >progressive<.
Ummm, no. That would be a flat tax. Progressive is when, the more you make, the more you pay (percentage).

Would you mind detailing how a combined system of one regressive and one progressive makes the whole thing regressive?
Ah, trick question. Because you've "defined" a "flat tax" as "progressive" does NOT mean it is progressive.

The reason why your proposal is REGRESSIVE is that, once over the exclusion amount (flat tax) you have a simple sales tax. Which is regressive. In other words, if the cut-off is $20K, someone making $25K is going to pay a larger percentage of his income than someone making $1million.

That is what "regressive" means.
New whatever.
Sales tax with exclusions.

Flat tax on income over a threshhold. So people under the threshhold don't pay any flat tax.

And with the exclusions...People who make less spend more on basic necessities such as food and clothing. More of their income would be exempt from this tax. People with more disposable income spend more on things OTHER than basic necessities...meaning MORE of their income is subject to the sales tax. Certainly sounds progressive.

In addition...anyone over the threshhold will be subject to even more tax. Even more progressive.

New Target acquired. Proceeding with SLAM!
Regressive != progressive.

Allow me to quote you.

So, sales taxes are regressive. You admit it.

And with the exclusions...People who make less spend more on basic necessities such as food and clothing. More of their income would be exempt from this tax. People with more disposable income spend more on things OTHER than basic necessities...meaning MORE of their income is subject to the sales tax. Certainly sounds progressive.
So, sales taxes are progressive. You admit it.

So, in one posting you admit that, even with the exclusions, sales taxes are regressive.

Yet, in another posting, you claim that, because of the exclusions, sales taxes are progressive.

You >DO< understand the difference between "progressive" and "regressive" in regards to taxes, don't you?

Oh, I guess you don't.
New Carry on...
you appear to have nothing to add.

You gave your definition of progressive.

I showed you how the proposal fits within your definition.

Enjoy the remainder of your recess without me.

Expand Edited by bepatient Feb. 12, 2002, 03:35:15 PM EST
New "Less regressive" != progressive.
I'm sorry if that minor fact has managed to elude you.

Or did you also envision some sort of mandatory purchasing scheme in your fantasy?

Something like, everyone MUST spend 20% of their annual income (non-adjusted) on taxable goods and services?

Now THAT would be a progressive sales tax.

Oh, but why don't we just cut out the requirement to purchase and just tax their income directy?
     Can he do it? - (mmoffitt) - (118)
         trickle down economics, smells like P - (boxley) - (1)
             "Austerity" my foot! - (wharris2)
         Fuzzy Math... - (jb4)
         Keeping your eye on the prize... - (screamer)
         I think he can - (ben_tilly)
         "Supply side" economics never works - (nking) - (112)
             Slight disagreement... - (jb4)
             Actually, upside down is how it all started. - (mmoffitt) - (104)
                 You do remember that government revenues increased, right? -NT - (wharris2) - (103)
                     Don't bother them with such trivial details. - (bepatient) - (101)
                         Jed Clampet syndrome - (nking)
                         Doh! forgot about the trivial detail syndrome - (wharris2) - (98)
                             Amen - (SpiceWare) - (97)
                                 How about 7% if you make a billion, 28% if you make 50K? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     hang those suckers -NT - (wharris2)
                                     and where did you get that from? - (SpiceWare)
                                 Hold on a minute thar! - (nking) - (93)
                                     Elimination of loop holes is a major point of the Flat Tax -NT - (SpiceWare) - (92)
                                         I know, we'll have the Tooth Fairy write the new law. - (mmoffitt) - (91)
                                             Geesh, what 's up your ass? - (SpiceWare)
                                             Oh...you mean the guys who yell.... - (bepatient) - (89)
                                                 The flat tax will never work - (nking) - (1)
                                                     Whoa, there, it was Jerry Brown first! -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                 On fairness. - (mmoffitt) - (86)
                                                     Different definitions of fair. -NT - (bepatient) - (85)
                                                         Re: Different definitions of fair. (more) - (bepatient) - (84)
                                                             Hasn't a sales tax been proven to be regressive? - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                                                 Thats why you exempt food and clothing. - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                     And that makes it non-regressive? - (Brandioch) - (9)
                                                                         I never made that claim. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                             Just wondering why you're advocating it. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                                                 Entertaining yarn at IRS site. - (Another Scott)
                                                                                 If you insist... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                     It isn't me that has the problem. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                                         whatever. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                             Target acquired. Proceeding with SLAM! - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                                 Carry on... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                     "Less regressive" != progressive. - (Brandioch)
                                                             No one wants to punish anyone for success. - (mmoffitt) - (28)
                                                                 Well... - (bepatient) - (26)
                                                                     Let's get a couple things straight. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                                                                         Bravo!! - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                             Thanks ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                         Lets do. - (bepatient) - (9)
                                                                             Iaccoca a good example - (Silverlock) - (8)
                                                                                 Incorrect assertion... - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                                                     So we misunderstand each other - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                                                         Hard to get at the real heart of the matter.. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                             Here's some real heart for you ;-) - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                                 Correction - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                     "stated position" inferred from your posts. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                         Ahhh, IC - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Re: Lee Iacocca - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                         Ahem...back to the original subject... - (Simon_Jester) - (7)
                                                                             On Force, study California in the 1940's. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                                                 Cecil doesn't think so. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                                     Thanks - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                         Google on The Straight Dope - (Another Scott)
                                                                                     Heh. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                 Evil Grin - before you start praising mass transit... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                     RightO! Thanks for reiterating the original point! -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                     7 billion consumers? Me thinks you make a huge mistake - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                         Missed a comma and 3 - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                             Sounds much better -NT - (wharris2)
                                                                     I'm not replying to this one__ baby from candy. (you owe me) -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                     That is capitalism for you - (nking)
                                                                 Re: No one wants to punish anyone for success. - (nking)
                                                             The rich get away with too much - (nking) - (42)
                                                                 Assertions without foundation. - (bepatient) - (41)
                                                                     The way it really is - (nking) - (7)
                                                                         Take a chill pill, ya whiner -NT - (bbronson) - (6)
                                                                             I already have - (nking) - (5)
                                                                                 They don't seem to be working. Please move it to Flames. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                                     Thanks for expressing my thought so well, Scott. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                                     Wow. - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Sorry this IS Politics, rant away! -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         Thank you - (nking)
                                                                     Re: the entire scrooges argument. - (mmoffitt) - (32)
                                                                         Progress. - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                                             You don't like "screwing"? How about... - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                                                                 Bizness is morally neuter, ethically impoverished. - (Ashton) - (21)
                                                                                     I expected you here sooner ;-) - (bepatient) - (20)
                                                                                         I will never understand this. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                             Knock, knock... - (screamer) - (2)
                                                                                                 Simpler explanation. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                     Fair enough... Now I understand... - (screamer)
                                                                                         My solution? has always been: actual OPERATING checks & - (Ashton) - (15)
                                                                                             Re: govt. - (a6l6e6x) - (14)
                                                                                                 Yes but.. in concentrating on that 'least' - (Ashton) - (13)
                                                                                                     Federal - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                                                         Missed point, I think. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                                             You can't believe that - (bepatient)
                                                                                                         Bravo! - (screamer)
                                                                                                         That delicate balance.. - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                                                             I hope this isn't lost. I have a question. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                                                                 anarchy and chaos is much preferable to a benevolent - (boxley)
                                                                                                                 I can't imagine such a construct as, - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                     But then, Plato's philosopher king, comes to mind. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                                                                 Benevolent dictatorship? - (Silverlock)
                                                                                                                 The King is coming - (nking) - (2)
                                                                                                                     Indulge your fantasy. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                         It is a question of when - (nking)
                                                                                 Overestimating marketing. - (bepatient)
                                                                                 Mood rings should have been illegal? :-P -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                     YES! Mine was always black :-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                             Wrongo! - (nking) - (4)
                                                                                 Read one book. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                     I'm already shocked - (nking) - (2)
                                                                                         Laugh. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                             Like I said - (nking)
                         It doesn't pay me personally. - (mmoffitt)
                     You do remember the Debt sextupled, right? -NT - (mmoffitt)
             My favorite trivia question - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                 Some references. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Sorry, no good references - (ben_tilly)
                 Damn you, Ben. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     I can but try :-) - (ben_tilly)
                 And what was the balance of trade? - (bepatient)

Same thing we do every night, Pinky...
229 ms