IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Me too,
which is why I built another system over a year ago for my son, his friends, and his cousins to use so they can leave mine alone. 300Mhz Celeron, 128M of RAM, 3G IDE HD, 56X CD-ROM, SIS 620 Video, Crystal Audio, VGA monitor (only gets 640x480 but the kids don't mind), etc. Cost me under $300 to slap some spare parts into a working system.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New might work but would get tired of rebuilding
"If you're half-evil, nothing soothes you more than to think the person you are opposed to is totally evil."
Norman Mailer
New Well yes,
but do what I did and if they mess up their system, leave it messed up for a week or two. When they ask to use it, tell them they could if they didn't mess it up. My son stopped putting things in the Recycle bin on his computer because he didn't want to have a non-functioning computer.

Does OSX have policies so that the kiddie account does not have delete access on important files? I know that policies on Windows 95 and above would prevent certain things from happening. Also since OSX is *BSD based, it should also have non-root access for the kiddies so they cannot futz up important files?

New OS X and permissions
OS X has two kinds of users: administrative and regular. Administrative users can use sudo and have access to the 'locked' system settings, ex. Network, Date/Time, Sharing and Startup Disk. Even Admin users can't delete system files (or files in someone else's home directory) without using sudo and root is locked out by default.

As far as I know, there aren't 'profiles' in the sense of Windows user management, just what I've mentioned.

Of course, the only other beings in my house are my wife (seriously computer-phobic) and two cats (who are still busy working on the 'Doorknob Problem'*.)

Thus, I haven't had a lot of hands-on in locking down an OS X desktop.

* see Gary Larson.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

The Emperor had all the qualifications for a corpse except, as it were, the
most vital one.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
New Cats and computers
a friend of mine used to have his cats walk on the keyboard. This was back in the DOS Days before Windows was popular. He ran a BBS, and when a cat walked on the keybioard or sat on it, it sent a series of keys to the BBS software. If the user was online, they would think it was line noise or a SYSOP messing with them. He had to eventually use that keyboard lock key to disable the keyboard. He joked that his cats wanted to chat with the users of the BBS, but couldn't learn English or how to use a keyboard yet.

Doorknob problem? Most of his cats were big, and could push the door until it opened. The door had no lock on it, and he rented the apartment and couldn't modify any doors in it. A good hard shove by a 50 pound cat or heavier could push the door open even if it was closed all the way.

New OT: our cyberkittie
Our youngest (2 yr. old Main Coon, 22 lbs.) *loves* hanging around with me when I'm on the computer. I'm not sure if it's the warmth, the hum of the drives or what but he snuggles right up and even tries to catch the mouse cursor while I'm working. In fact, I have to watch that he doesn't drape himself on the keyboard and nap.

The older one (16 yr. old ginger tom), on the other hand, couldn't care less and in fact, actively avoids the computers.

Ah, the digital generation gap....

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

The question seldom addressed is *where* Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair
is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the
deodorant bottle.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)
New Did you just say '50 pound cat'?
Holy crap that's a lot of cat. What is it, a freakin Puma?
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New May have been a typo - he's actually 22 lbs.
Maine Coons can get up to 30 lbs, so he's about mid-range.

Anyway you slice it, he's a big-ass cat....

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and
Americans. A European says: "I can't understand this, what's wrong with
me?" An American says: "I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?"
-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
New That was for Norm, actually. Check his post
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Not a typo, fat cat
and the cat was diabetic as well. But was about that big. Actually I think that a Puma would be like 80 or 100 pounds? One thing that I do know, is that when we bug-bombed the apartment and had to carry out the cats, that we could hardly lift them.

New For a second you had me thinking...
...that you bugbombed the cats. Eek!

Meerkat is having a Dumb Attack...
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Okay, enough with the cat chat....
We're starting to annoy the straights.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

"I'm a cat person, myself," she said, vaguely. A low-level voice said:
"Yeah? Yeah? Wash in your own spit, do you?"
-- It's a dog's life
(Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)
New Clarification
We moved the cats out of the apartment before we bugbombed the apartment. This was around 1988 that we did this.

The cats were huge, ate a lot, and didn't get out much. Stayed in the apartment and slept a lot when they weren't laying on the keyboard or swatting at it.

New World record territory for a domestic cat...
According to [link|http://www.catscans.com/facts.htm|this] the record for a domestic cat is a little less than 47 pounds.

According to the Guiness Book of World Records, the heaviest cat on record was Himmy, an Australian cat, who weighed 46 pounds, 15.25 ounces in 1986. Himmy's waist was 33 inches! The previous record-holder had been Spice, a ginger-and-white tom cat from Connecticut, who weighed 43 pounds when he died in 1977.

A mountain lion/puma weighs up to 200 pounds according to some WWW pages out there...

Cheers,
Scott.
New I was estimating
the cat may have been under 50 pounds, but it sure was heavy. The thing about cats is that when they don't want to be picked up, they can seem to be heavier than they really are. But one thing that I know for sure, those cats were really heavy, heavier than any other domestic cat I've picked up before.

New A friend had a computer problem with her cat
The cat began chewing mice. Computer mice that is.

My friend felt really bad, but after losing 2 mice she wound up taking the cat back to the pound and trading it for another. She knew that it practically doomed the one cat, but she had not had it for long, saved another one, and on a graduate student stipend couldn't afford to replace a long chain of mice...

Cheers,
Ben
New This must have been before the cheapo mice
that get sold for $4 to $10 a mouse for the really cheap generic serial and PS/2 mice.

New It was mid 90's and her computer was a mac
New Ugh! Point taken.
Back then mice must have cost $100 to $200 each to replace. Bad kitty! :)

help with 3 yrold hackers - (boxley) - (29)
         The problem, at least with OS 9 - (tjsinclair)
         I've not tried this, but... - (Meerkat) - (1)
             with OSX not a problem - (boxley)
         My own 3 year old hacker - (nking) - (20)
             But Box wants his 3 year old to use the machine! - (a6l6e6x) - (19)
                 Me too, - (nking) - (18)
                     might work but would get tired of rebuilding -NT - (boxley) - (17)
                         Well yes, - (nking) - (16)
                             OS X and permissions - (tjsinclair) - (15)
                                 Cats and computers - (nking) - (14)
                                     OT: our cyberkittie - (tjsinclair)
                                     Did you just say '50 pound cat'? - (drewk) - (8)
                                         May have been a typo - he's actually 22 lbs. - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                                             That was for Norm, actually. Check his post -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                                                 Not a typo, fat cat - (nking) - (5)
                                                     For a second you had me thinking... - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                         Okay, enough with the cat chat.... - (tjsinclair)
                                                         Clarification - (nking)
                                                     World record territory for a domestic cat... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         I was estimating - (nking)
                                     A friend had a computer problem with her cat - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                         This must have been before the cheapo mice - (nking) - (2)
                                             It was mid 90's and her computer was a mac -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 Ugh! Point taken. - (nking)
         Can you do a home network? - (drewk) - (4)
             Isn't VMWare x86 only? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 try Virtual PC for the Mac - (nking)
             rather use the OS to teach them computer manners - (boxley) - (1)
                 Yes, take it away with they break it - (nking)

For Wade, it is to wait.
97 ms