Arguably, it began off topic.

Anyway, I've read Job more than once, and I distinctly remember that God didn't promise Job anything. God did bless him in the end, but it had nothing to do with any deal. There was no quid pro quo.

This is an important distinction. The book of Job does not advocate making a deal with God. Quite the opposite. It mentions the idea only to refute it with extreme prejudice.

Another point: Job was blessed only after he 1) came to comprehend God's majesty and 2) prayed for his friends to be forgiven for their misguided philosophising. The blessings came after Job was able to see beyond his own situation, and glimpse, however imperfectly, the larger picture. He included others in his sphere of consideration.

And my reply to Buddha is this: life is indeed suffering, but not all suffering is bad in itself. Suffering can be a way to learn. Getting rid of all attachments would end suffering, only inasmuch as it amounts to a kind of death. Life is a process. Process implies direction. Direction, if one is conscious of it, amounts to attachment. If you don't have motivation, you don't move.