IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I agree
But I think the doctors should approach the parent and say "Now, don't freak out, but..." and offer some tips to the parent(s) for handling the situation. That way, there is some "training" involved that will encourage communication with the child and not turn it into some kind of finger-pointing.

I think most parents would take a loving, concerned approach. It's the redneck, uneducated parents that would start with the name-calling and blame-throwing.

Unless I am just totally naive. :-/

Peace,
Amy

" I tend to believe the great voices of peace throughout history {were} right, and this voice from this little hamlet here in Texas is absolutely wrong. The world is watching what you do here. It is important that you be calm, that you be peaceful, but you be firm. My grandmother {used to} say, \ufffdFight them \ufffdtil hell freezes over, and when hell freezes over, fight them on the ice.\ufffd

Dallas Reverend Peter Johnson, former staff member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
New try punch throwing, not blame throwing not confined to
rednecks, hell most rednecks were scoring off their cousins younger than 16. It would be the uptight religeous nuts like this [link|http://www.rickross.com/groups/house.html|http://www.rickross....groups/house.html] that you need to be afraid of.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Puh-LEEZE, Amy...Who you crappin'?!?
But I think the doctors should approach the parent and say "Now, don't freak out, but..."

read: "I'm about to tell you something you won't want to hear, and it's all but guaranteed to piss you off. Oh, and its about your daughter, whom you still think is as pure as the driven snow, but as it turns out is actually somewhere between basic promiscuous and a total slut. But don't take it personally, and just sit there calmly while I proceed to skewer evey last pretense about your daughter's, and your, moral standards."

Yeah, comma, right!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Now wait a gosh darn minute, boyo!
The days of "Ol' Doc So-and-so" are gone. Doctors nowadays give the facts straight up, with little or no value judgement attached. I don't know what kind of backwater town you live in, but here in the Mighty Metroplex, doctors just give you the straight scoop. And they don't editorialize whilst they are doin' it. Hence, my comment.

I know I am more likely to have a doctor that says,"Now, don't get your shorts in a wad, but..." , than a doctor who hurls epithets at my kid for their promiscuity.

If I did have a doc like the latter, my words to him/her would be like The Donald's..."You're Fired!"

As a matter of fact, I have fired a doctor because of her inconsideration with regards to a child of mine. My daughter was having a series of UTI's. She has always had a phobia of doctors and this one had the gall to suggest my daughter had been molested...IN FRONT OF MY 8 YO DAUGHTER! It was totally unprofessional and only served to heighten my daughter's phobia.

The appropriate action would have been for her to usher me into her private office and discuss the matter. Nevermind the fact that my daughter has never been molested, the issue was from my daughter's improper hygiene technique...which was rememdied by instruction on the proper way to wipe.

When told of this heinous action, other doctors shudder with disbelief at the callousness of the situation, which leads me to believe that the bad ones are in the minority. We just happened to have one of the bad ones...cancelled out by the myriad good ones.

So,the argument becomes "What type of relationship do you have with your doctor?" rather than "You're Whistlin' Dixie at Yankee Stadium if you think your doctor won't editorialize." Believe it or not, there are plenty of doctors who don't even want to go there for fear of a slander/defamation of character lawsuit.

How 'bout them apples?

Take a piece o' one,
Amy

" I tend to believe the great voices of peace throughout history {were} right, and this voice from this little hamlet here in Texas is absolutely wrong. The world is watching what you do here. It is important that you be calm, that you be peaceful, but you be firm. My grandmother {used to} say, \ufffdFight them \ufffdtil hell freezes over, and when hell freezes over, fight them on the ice.\ufffd

Dallas Reverend Peter Johnson, former staff member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
New Get to the source of the problem..
There are fewer and fewer generalists out there chiefly because that ain't where the money is and money is the real motivator for physicians. Back in the 70's a lot of people hated the way they were treated by physicians at Kaiser because Kaiser physicians didn't have time to get to know their patients or their families. Now days, with the overwhelming majority of clinicians more concerned with private wealth than public health, most physicians operate like Kaiser physicians: churn, baby, churn, gotta see enough patients today to pay for my kids private schools, my country club memberships, my multi-million dollar home, my chalet, my beach house, etc. ad nauseum.

That's why we have this predicament with kids. If the physican actually had time to get to know his wealth generators (read patients) and their families, the physician could use his own judgement about whether or not anything should be said to the parents. But time is money and practicing medicine is almost exclusively about the acquisition of wealth for the clinician. The days when your physician actually knew or cared about your family (except for how much money they could make from you) are gone forever. Patients are "consumers of healthcare" in the modern paradigm, and physicians are merely hawkers.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New There's that literary device again...
If the physican actually had time to get to know his wealth generators (read patients) and their families, the physician could use his own judgement about whether or not anything should be said to the parents.

I hope that now you know how to interpret this sentence, Amy.

;-)
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New But he'd spell it 'judgment'.. Oh! those Idiom-thingies

New Apparently, there is a literary style in use here...
...with which you are unfamiliar. Sorry bout that. Let me try to explain without using that [link|#literarydevice|literary device].

When someone in a position of authority, who has (or potentially has) information that can be unpleasant to listen to, prefaces his/her statement with something along the lines of, "Don't freak out, but...", you are immediately keyed to expect the worst. It has been my experience (on both ends of such a statement — which is why I don't preface my remarks so) that once so conditioned, the purported listener actually stops actively listening, and starts racing ahead filling in the spaces between the words with mind noise twinged with the coloring of the aforementioned worst. So when the doctor in your scenario starts out with, "Don't freak out, but...",what is really happening is that the doctor is conditioning the recipient of the bad news about his daughter to freak out, with negative effects to both the immediate problem at hand (the curing of the disease) and the long term relationship with the daughter ("You promiscuous slut...your grounded until you're 30!"). My response, girlo, is to your simpleminded, almost pollyannaish approach to something that needs anything except a simpleminded, pollyannish approach.

Clear?

The "literary device" I was referring to is the use of the word "read:" (with the colon), followed by a translation of the target phrase into what the phrase is supposed to mean to someone when they read it. I'm sorry if you were unaware of the device; I hope this explanation makes my previous post more clear.
jb4

New Bite me, asshole (new thread)
Created as new thread #221653 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=221653|Bite me, asshole]

Ok, how do I talk to my daughter? - (jbrabeck) - (51)
         Clintonitis? - (SpiceWare) - (3)
             Agreed, this is odds on the case. - (Silverlock)
             Not just teenagers think that. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 and what age were they in 1998? :-) -NT - (boxley)
         The possibilty exists - (bepatient)
         What do you want to say? - (tuberculosis)
         Time to leave a book or two around the house. - (imqwerky) - (1)
             I'm with Amy. This is a great time for education - (bionerd)
         simple - (boxley) - (1)
             bad assumption - (boxley)
         Chlamydia can be carried other ways - (JayMehaffey)
         Go with her to the clinic. - (Another Scott)
         I just asked my wife - (ben_tilly)
         As the father of two girls,one that just started high school - (mmoffitt)
         How old is your daughter? -NT - (imqwerky) - (35)
             #207935. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Thanks, Scott :-) -NT - (imqwerky)
             Re: How old is your daughter? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 But young enough... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Ewwwwww! -NT - (bionerd)
                 :-D -NT - (imqwerky)
             Scott was correct. 16 almost 17. - (jbrabeck) - (28)
                 Treatment - (bionerd) - (2)
                     single oral dose of azithromycin -NT - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                         Re: single oral dose of azithromycin - (bionerd)
                 You are about to destroy your marraige - (broomberg) - (1)
                     Brutal, but honest - (imqwerky)
                 Want to know why the clinic will not discuss? - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                     rightfully so for the safety of the child - (boxley)
                     I understand the reasoning behind all this - (bionerd) - (20)
                         I agree - (imqwerky) - (8)
                             try punch throwing, not blame throwing not confined to - (boxley)
                             Puh-LEEZE, Amy...Who you crappin'?!? - (jb4) - (6)
                                 Now wait a gosh darn minute, boyo! - (imqwerky) - (5)
                                     Get to the source of the problem.. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         There's that literary device again... - (jb4) - (1)
                                             But he'd spell it 'judgment'.. Oh! those Idiom-thingies -NT - (Ashton)
                                     Apparently, there is a literary style in use here... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Bite me, asshole (new thread) - (imqwerky)
                         Well said. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Just for the record - (bionerd)
                         It can but... - (ben_tilly)
                         Another problem - (drewk) - (7)
                             Thank you for expressing my thoughts - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                 Should provide consult w/ both of you there - (tuberculosis)
                             I still don't like it - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 It's the dog that didn't bark - (drewk) - (3)
                                     Point. But... - (ben_tilly)
                                     then you ask who signed the consent to treat forms - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Or, given the predilection physicians show for ... - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Ok, how do I talk to my daughter? - (ubernostrum)

You hijacked the conversation. You get to land it.
92 ms