IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 2 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not stupid, just lacking education

Then leave them WITHOUT ANY frigging answer, ferchrissake!

If they're too stupid (of course they are; that only proves they're relatives of yours) to understand that you gotta do your own stuff before theirs, then leave them as they are: Understanding nothing.

That's their problem, not yours.

Not understanding how a computer works or how to troubleshoot it is not a sign of stupidity. It is a sign of a lack of education and knowledge in computer science. Some relatives I have thaught to do their own work, and some have learned it on their own.

No, due to you not knowing shit about statistics.

For the piddling elementary assignments I'm almost sure is what you get in an introductory statistics class, you DON'T NEED a calculator with any "statitistcal functions".

Considering that my statistics class was over 15 years ago, and my memory is a bit fuzzy from that era. They did allow us to use a calculator and did not teach us how to do things by hand. Again it is not stupidity, but a lack of education. Had I been taught how to do these problems by hand and keep my skills up to date, it would have been a different story.

Of fucking course not!!!

What do you think the test is supposed to be ABOUT -- think they're trying to find out if your CALCULATOR can do statistics?!?

A calculator cannot do statistics, it takes an operator to operate the calculator properly to do statistics. Gee here I thought you were smart and understood that a calculator is a tool and cannot do things all by itself. It makes about as much sense to me as trying to create a computer program without the use of a development tool like Delphi. Imagine if they took Delphi away from you and then asked you to write Delphi programs anyway. How good a job could you do without that tool?

Ooh, poow widdle Nowmy-Wowmy, haf to do hif own wowk!

How fucking hard is it, really, to calculate a standard deviation?!?

It's not like those test assignments have zillions and zillions of data points, do they? (My guess is, if they're anything like what we used to have, it's five or eight or, at most, a dozen -- right?) Use a frigging paper and pencil, and, yes, a NON-"statistical" calculator. Like this:

1. Calculate the mean by adding all the numbers (ordinary calculators have a "+" button) and then dividing the sum by the number of numbers (ordinary calculators have a "/" button, too). Write down the mean.

2. Calculate each deviation by subtracting each number from the mean (ordinary calculators have a "-" button). (Or do it the other way around; the sign of the deviation doesn't matter.) Write them all down in a list; I'd suggest lining them up in a column below each other, and making sure to leave space for another column to the right of it.

3. Calculate the square of each number in the "deviation" column from step 2 (most ordinary calculators have a "^2" button; if yours doesn't, you'll just have to type in each number twice, with a "*" in between), and write it down (in the next column to the right).

4. Calculate the sum of the "squared-deviations" column from step 3 in the same way you did in step 1 (remember, ordinary calculators have a "+" button). Write down the sum.

5. If the assignment purports to be a complete survey of a "population", divide the square-sum from step 4 by the number of numbers (remember, ordinary calculators have a "/" button); if it is a sample from some "population", divide by the-number-of-numbers-minus-one. If you don't understand what I'm on about, with "complete survey", "population", and "sample", then go with the first alternative; forget the "minus-one" bit. Write down the result. (This is called the "variance", and is the square of the standard deviation that we're after.)

6. Calculate the standard deviation by taking the square root of the variance from step 5 (almost all ordinary calculators have a "SqRt" button; if yours doesn't, you're shit-outta-luck; get another one).

There you are: Calculating the standard deviation is so easy, a fucking MONKEY could do it -- WITHOUT any "statistical" calculator!

Don't know about the "permintations, etc", though.

What part of "The online calculator would not work" did you not understand? Your reading comprehension skills must be worse than mine? I was not allowed to use anything except for that which the Java program provided. Otherwise that would be cheating. I had to do math problems in my head without the use of a calculator and scored pretty good. It was the statistics problems that threw me, I did well in figuring out the mean, that is easy. I just cannot do complex methods in my head without the use of a calculator.

Anyway traced my problem with Aleks, apparently I used IE 6.0 with MS's Java VM which apparently has issues with the software they wrote. Like the calculator breaking, looping in the practice questions, etc, all that I had. They said to try Netscape with JRE 1.4.1, not JRE 1.4.2 as it has issues with that.

BTW I was told I was not allowed to use paper and pencil, so I didn't use them.

Guess you "could have used" a sheet with the answers all ready and printed out for you, too, eh?

How the fuck do you think you're going to LEARN this shit, if you don't DO it all the way through by yourself?!?

Perhaps you have a point there, I hope my instructor teaches us how to do these things by hand. I admit I do not know how to do that, with the exception of the mean, factorials, etc.

With that attitude, yes, it probably is going to feel like an eternity.

The problem isn't with the subject, though; it's with your attitude.

I talked to other students who seem to feel the same way. I got 140 pages to read by monday and so far they aren't talking about how to do these things by hand. Interestingly enough the resource page has Excel spreadsheets to download. I guess they do not teach us how to do these things by hand anymore?

"Who else wants to negotiate?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Stupid, just like you.
Norm
quotes me:
Then leave them WITHOUT ANY frigging answer, ferchrissake!

If they're too stupid (of course they are; that only proves they're relatives of yours) to understand that you gotta do your own stuff before theirs, then leave them as they are: Understanding nothing.

That's their problem, not yours.
and replies:
Not understanding how a computer works or how to troubleshoot it is not a sign of stupidity. It is a sign of a lack of education and knowledge in computer science. Some relatives I have thaught to do their own work, and some have learned it on their own.
Further down in his whine, he asks:
Your reading comprehension skills must be worse than mine?
Don't think so, Bub.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Ah yeah, but you ignored the rest of my post
Let me focus on a part of your post I ignored:

> "Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

That's what separates "Corbin Dallas" from Norm, who only speaks one of those.

Referring, of course to my posts. Which aren't spoken, but written. I am dealing with someone who apparently does not understand the difference between speaking and writing.

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New That's because I don't give a shit. Noone does. So STFU, OK?
New That is where you are wrong and I can prove it
if you didn't give a shit, you wouldn't have even bothered to post to me in the flame forum. You simply would have ignored my post like most everyone else did. If you said you don't give a shit, you must be lying.

Therefore you must give a shit, for some fucking reason. You apparently care, but about what, nobody knows.

As for me shutting up, never! Only time I will ever shut up is when I am dead.

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Sheesh - How fucking stupid ARE you, Norm?!? - (CRConrad) - (36)
         2 additional comments - (ben_tilly) - (22)
             A little help here - (orion) - (21)
                 Any introductory statistics book should explain permutations - (ben_tilly) - (20)
                     Factorials - (orion) - (19)
                         I should HOPE you got that right - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                             I am just asking questions to learn more. - (orion) - (14)
                                 Norm, stuff it. - (inthane-chan) - (13)
                                     I would have reacted differently - (orion) - (12)
                                         Blah blah. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                             Can't contribute positively can you? - (orion) - (10)
                                                 WTF? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                     Prove it - (orion) - (8)
                                                         You said society - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                             I am a member of society - (orion) - (5)
                                                                 Oh please do fuck off, there's a good chap. -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                     I love you, man. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                                                     Make me! -NT - (orion) - (2)
                                                                         MOM... Peter is being mean again! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                             Leave my mother out of this pukeboy! - (orion)
                                                         OK. (new thread) - (pwhysall)
                             My educational situation - (orion) - (2)
                                 Thirty seconds on Barnes and Noble - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                     I took action - (orion)
         Calculators? What calculators? - (Arkadiy) - (6)
             OT and OF (off forum) - (jb4)
             My prof did that one step further - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                 I remember doing finite-difference solution to diffusion eq - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     That's nothing - (FuManChu) - (2)
                         I do the same thing - (boxley) - (1)
                             Management Information And Storage System - (lincoln)
         Not stupid, just lacking education - (orion) - (4)
             Stupid, just like you. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Ah yeah, but you ignored the rest of my post - (orion) - (2)
                     That's because I don't give a shit. Noone does. So STFU, OK? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         That is where you are wrong and I can prove it - (orion)
         Looking for good research - (orion)

Did you recently read an article?
74 ms