IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not sure what your point is
I'm not sure what your point is here, but I suspect you are forgetting the context of this conversation. It's not a question what our constitution says, but rather a question of what a constitution should say.

And just so it's clear, I certainly do agree that defense is matter for the government. It's just that I also think health care is a matter that our government should cover. And I don't see any absolute difference between them that says that one must be a government matter and the other shouldn't be.

Jay
New why should government cover health care?
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Why should business 'cover' health care?
And for those not-working for a plethora of reasons:

Should there be any healthcare?
(After the local hospital is bankrupted by indigents at Emergency rates: mandated by State govt but unfunded.)

Practicing up for social Darwinism again, Box?

ie.
Screw your 6 word slogans about complex matters. Is that Geek-debate or something? We get enough of that horseshit on FOXX.
New Lets start a new thread, free medical care for all or not (new thread)
Created as new thread #150188 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=150188|Lets start a new thread, free medical care for all or not]
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
New Things to consider
These are some of the things I would consider when deciding if something should be run and/or managed by the government.

1. It is something that everybody needs.
For both defense and health care this is obvious.

2. It is something that need to be organized on a vast scale.
Obviously true in both cases.

3. It is not something that can be run well for profit.
More arguable, but experience shows in both cases that maximizing profit involves reducing quality of service. For mercenaries this means dragging out conflicts while minimizing actual combat. For medicine, it means forcing people to use cheaper medicine even if better ones are available and denying coverage as much as possible.

4. It is something that is better run by governments then others.
For military service this has been historical true, countries that depend too much on mercenaries end up in trouble. It's more arguable for medicine, but the experience of European countries says that at the least it can be run as well by the government as by buisness.

5. It's in the government's best interest that this be handled well.
Obvious for the military, more arguable for medicine. But I think it's in a countries long term interest to have healthy citizens.

Jay
New Have you visited a VA hospital or IHS clinic lately?
     Defining the "next" constitution. - (inthane-chan) - (37)
         "is not a living, self-aware organism" ... coma? - (drewk) - (11)
             If you've got better verbiage, I'm all ears. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                 How about - (jbrabeck) - (6)
                     Artificail life? Alien life? -NT - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                         Re: Artificail life? Alien life? - (jb4) - (2)
                             I think granting them the rights of citizens... - (inthane-chan)
                             But when they are made/found - (Arkadiy)
                     Re: How about.. don't forget my cats - (xtensive) - (1)
                         That's a long limb, alright. - (inthane-chan)
                 Current legal standard is "natural person" - (drewk) - (2)
                     Thanks, incorporated. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                     Needs clarification - (tuberculosis)
         I have problems with your use of "truth" - (Arkadiy) - (1)
             Freedom of religion. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Defining the "next" constitution. - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             on your post right to assemble and seek redress from the gov - (boxley)
             Good food for thought. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Defining the "next" constitution. - (jb4) - (1)
             Re: Defining the "next" constitution. - (inthane-chan)
         Give it a shot - (boxley)
         Another thing to consider as a source - the UDHR. - (Another Scott) - (16)
             total disagreement on a few things - (boxley) - (15)
                 Re: total disagreement on a few things - (JayMehaffey) - (14)
                     that is not a basic function of states - (boxley) - (13)
                         The basic function of states . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Re: that is not a basic function of states - (JayMehaffey) - (10)
                             what the state is better doing? - (boxley) - (1)
                                 US doesn't do it very well - (JayMehaffey)
                             Actually, it is... - (danreck) - (7)
                                 Confucius said it better - (Ashton)
                                 Not sure what your point is - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
                                     why should government cover health care? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                         Why should business 'cover' health care? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             Lets start a new thread, free medical care for all or not (new thread) - (boxley)
                                         Things to consider - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                             Have you visited a VA hospital or IHS clinic lately? -NT - (boxley)
                         Re: that is not a basic function of states - (Ashton)

I know members of the legislature who would disagree with you under oath.
87 ms