IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: assumption missing
I just think the industry needs a *good* remote GUI protocol, and your approach is not it. That is all I am saying.

Cross platform, check.
Application-independent, check.
Low bandwidth, check.
Low latency, check.

[link|http://www.citrix.com|Click Here]

You really don't know ANYTHING about this area, do you?

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Cytrix is NOT latency-friendly, and....
I have never seen it run over HTTP. Have you?
It runs over links as slow as a 28.8k modem! It's *extremely* "latency-friendly". (I think you really mean "low latency" as in "interactive but what the hey. It's too late to expect you to start making sense now)

Gah, you really know nothing at all about it.

And why would I care if it runs over HTTP?

Yeah, running a *binary* protocol (Citrix ICA) over a *textual* one (HTTP). Uh huh.

Yeah.

Pass me the crack pipe when you're done.

Peter
Shill For Hire
New HTTP is important
>> And why would I care if it runs over HTTP? <<

Because HTTP is choppier than other protocols (that may work over an 28.8 modem). Often corporate firewalls only work with HTTP, and the admins don't like exceptions. I have seen it happen multiple times.

Tell me that Cytrix works fine over a modem using HTTP.

You're seriously telling me that corporate networks don't allow Citrix ICA traffic through - as a matter of policy?

*looks at his corporate firewall*

Well, MY firewall lets it through. Firewall-1 even has a predefined port range, just tick the "Citrix" box and make a rule.

You're blowing hot air.

You know *nothing* about Citrix products and you know *nothing* about corporate network administration (which is what I do for a living, you numbskull).

Peter
Shill For Hire
New I saw it happen
>> You're seriously telling me that corporate networks don't allow Citrix ICA traffic through - as a matter of policy? <<

Here is the deal. I contracted at a place that sent sales leads to hundreds of businesses. They used VB with Cytrix. Enough of those 100+ "consumers" of the data complained that either their firewall would not let the information through, or they did not have the staff to troubleshoot/change/approve the firewall problems. (Some customers were big and some were small.)

It was a big enough complaint that the data distributor (the place I contracted at) decided to make a web-based version using Java. (Coordinating Java certs was a major pain, and was not yet fully solved by that developer when my stint was up. They used Java because they wanted a decent grid and HTML didn't give it. But that is another story. Personally IMO they didn't think it through enough.)

The customer is always right and enuf customers complained about Cytrix and the firewalls.

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New And that proves what?
That some people don't see a business benefit for using Citrix products?

You, as a contractor, know precisely bugger all about the reasoning behind the rejection of Citrix products as a solution. Get real.

The fact that some of these clients were small leads me to think that it was primarily rejected on cost grounds. It's feary expensive stuff. Small clients also see the cost and go "no, we're not modifying our budget plans^W^Wfirewall for that".

If there's a business need for poking a hole in the firewall, it will be done. no amount of raving that you do will change that. Remember, Microsoft recently bought one of the most popular accounting packages, Great Plains - this is one of the most common ICA applications.

There's a remote GUI solution that kicks SCGUI's ass off the map. It's called Java. Or it's called JavaScript. Take your pick, SCGUI does NOT solve any problems.

YOU can't throw a VB app onto my Linux computer. Citrix Metaframe can do that.

Until you can run your SCGUI thing on more than one platform, you're just not in Metaframe's league.

Peter
Shill For Hire
New One last thing
I've finally grown tired of trying to impart clues to you.

That was my last post on the subject - it's quite clear you're not interesting in learning anything, only arguing.

Peter
Shill For Hire
New Actually Bryce has a point here
The fact that your corporate network allows Citrix through doesn't mean that all of them do. In fact many do not.

As you well know, well-run firewalls start out with a default "deny all". And then you start adding things you allow. If they don't have an exception made for Citrix traffic from outside, you won't get it without a bureaucratic hassle.

And at many companies the corporate firewall kills Citrix. If you want to deliver a product over the net using Citrix, you will lose potential clients because of that. It is no fun calling up a prospect and finding that the group you are dealing with don't receive Citrix. You may have a perfectly good product. But you can't demo it to them. And even if you did sell them on how nice your stuff is, they won't bother because they don't have the time or energy convincing their BOFHs that they really need this.

(And yes, the company where I work looked long and hard at trying to deliver products to clients using Citrix. And for our client base it wasn't worthwhile. We, in fact, get better penetration of our core market from our Bloomberg product than we could get with Citrix. That should tell you a lot about who our clients are.)

Cheers,
Ben
New But I'm wondering how relevant it is.
Scott's application was IIRC for a private network. Such a scenario would be unlikely to have firewalls restricting traffic. And if it did, they would be more likely to be configured to let the appropriate traffic through.

But you're right; Bryce does have a valid point about sending that stuff over the 'net.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New It is at least halfway
There are people who sell things like the application under question. So whether or not it is for public sale, the concerns of publically selling it are not irrelevant for applications like that.

Furthermore even if it is private, as a developer Scott may face IS barriers if he wants to modify current network policy and use Citrix. Again, if they have Citrix, it isn't an issue. If not, then it could be.

Which is, of course, irrelevant since he delivered through HTTP. :-)

Cheers,
Ben
New Not quite irrelevent...
Which is, of course, irrelevant since he delivered through HTTP. :-)

The current crop of firewalls are (for just this purpose) able to look into packets and ensure that they *are* HTTP packets.. Packets that look to be encapsulated other protocols can be rejected, or filtered.

So if you're 'denying all' you've likely got that [passing of HTML encapsulated packets] turned off, too.

Addison
     Stopping the browser throbber - (admin) - (159)
         "This is the page that never ends... - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
             Prescient - (kmself) - (1)
                 Just have someone call - (imric)
         Infinite content or just infinite wait? - (tseliot) - (139)
             Wrong angle :-) - (admin) - (138)
                 Ahhhh. Circumventing another man's app by DESIGN. - (tseliot) - (137)
                     Don't control the deployment that much. - (admin) - (136)
                         Well, sure. - (tseliot) - (3)
                             One connection per session regardless. - (admin) - (2)
                                 Feh. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     ROFL - (admin)
                         Auto refresh? - (tablizer) - (131)
                             Re: Auto refresh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 ...which should be subject to user override - (kmself) - (1)
                                     We are talking B-to-B or intranet, right? - (tablizer)
                             The application uses auto refresh now. - (admin) - (127)
                                 Why is auto-refresh not satisfactory? - (tablizer) - (125)
                                     Because I work on actual large scale applications. - (admin) - (124)
                                         depends on needed refresh rate - (tablizer) - (123)
                                             Re: depends on needed refresh rate - (admin) - (122)
                                                 Nothing is truely "instant" - (tablizer) - (121)
                                                     Re: Nothing is truely "instant" - (admin) - (95)
                                                         JavaScript but *not* client-side script? - (tablizer) - (94)
                                                             Re: JavaScript but *not* client-side script? - (admin) - (93)
                                                                 that is still client-side script/applet - (tablizer) - (92)
                                                                     Fundamental disconnect - (Yendor)
                                                                     Re: that is still client-side script/applet - (admin) - (90)
                                                                         "generic" by what scope? - (tablizer) - (89)
                                                                             Re: "generic" by what scope? - (admin) - (88)
                                                                                 security risks - (tablizer) - (87)
                                                                                     Re: security risks - (pwhysall) - (77)
                                                                                         Turing-complete == more-problems-complete - (tablizer) - (76)
                                                                                             Re: Turing-complete == more-problems-complete - (pwhysall) - (48)
                                                                                                 Using 3 protocols is just plain silly, admit it! - (tablizer) - (47)
                                                                                                     Patently false: DHTML is not the same as DOM - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                         I did not say it was - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             JS/DOM is not the same as DHTML. - (admin)
                                                                                                     Patently false: three different protocols - (admin) - (22)
                                                                                                         How does that make any difference? Browser still deals w/ 3 -NT - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                                                             How does that make any difference? Developer still deals w/1 -NT - (admin) - (20)
                                                                                                                 NOPE, 2 - (tablizer) - (19)
                                                                                                                     Same in SCGUI. - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                                                         odd counting - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                                                                             Re: odd counting - yes, you do count oddly. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                 assumption missing - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                     That's even nuttier for you - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Clarification - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                                     Re: assumption missing - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                                                                                                         Cytrix is NOT latency-friendly, and.... - (tablizer) - (11)
                                                                                                                                             Yes it bloody well is! - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                                                                                                                 HTTP is important - (tablizer) - (9)
                                                                                                                                                     Bollocks - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         I saw it happen - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             Get a room guys... -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                                                             And that proves what? - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                                                             One last thing - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                                                         Actually Bryce has a point here - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             But I'm wondering how relevant it is. - (static) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 It is at least halfway - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                     Not quite irrelevent... - (addison)
                                                                                                     Patently false: HTML/DOM/JS requires full page reloads - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                         Sorry, I misread it. - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                             Once again: strawman alert - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                                 so you say - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Re: so you say - (admin)
                                                                                                     Only one protocol in use - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                         wrapping is not ridding - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             Well I never - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                     Patently false: SCGUI is immune to versioning problems - (admin) - (9)
                                                                                                         dancing widgets - (tablizer) - (8)
                                                                                                             SCGUI: moving the complexity to the server. - (admin) - (7)
                                                                                                                 VB, Delphi, Powerbuilder, etc. - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                                                     Once again, where is the value-add? - (admin) - (5)
                                                                                                                         same arguments over and over - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                                                                                             I'll agree with that. - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                                                 So at least you agree that they want GUI's - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                     Re: So at least you agree that they want GUI's - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         and YOU don't have to present code examples? -NT - (tablizer)
                                                                                                     Patently false: DOM/JS is too complex - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                         "Come here! I'll bite you to death" -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                     No, it's not. - (static)
                                                                                             Re: Turing-complete == more-problems-complete - (admin) - (26)
                                                                                                 The "assembler" argument again - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                                                     And your proof is? - (admin) - (20)
                                                                                                         first choice? really really? first? - (tablizer) - (19)
                                                                                                             Er, gotcha? - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                                                 Lame first choice - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                                                                     Sez you. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                         Grid? - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                             Re: Grid? - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                                                                 more to grids than that - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                                                                                     Re: more to grids than that - (admin) - (12)
                                                                                                                                         Frame == Grid? Egad! - (tablizer) - (11)
                                                                                                                                             What's "Half-ess"? Half an S? -NT - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                                                                                                                 Reply re: S/2 - (tablizer) - (9)
                                                                                                                                                     Don't swear then - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         anyhow, anybdy still wanna defend frames as grid substute? -NT - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                             Not frames, frame. - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                                 problems with that approach - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                                     Nobody is defending "frames == grid" after all these weeks - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                                         Bryce - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                             I will bet you $100.00 - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                                 I don't care - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                     And stop it with the "listen" sh8t - (tablizer)
                                                                                                 Asynchronous xmit - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                                     Re: Asynchronous xmit - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                         Thanks... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                                                                             We're using it for updates... - (admin)
                                                                                     Re: security risks - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                         Skinny client, skinny needs - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                             Re: Skinny client, skinny needs - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                                                 The "assembler" argument again - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                                     Your "point of view" - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                         I dn't care whthr it's new nor not. It is better than JS+DOM -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             You have yet to demonstrate that. -NT - (admin)
                                                                                                         Re: Your "point of view" - (addison) - (1)
                                                                                                             "Plug-in"? Uhm, isn't that called an X Server...? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                     I can see I'm going to have to go back to this again. - (admin) - (24)
                                                         This is *not* an OO battle.......yet - (tablizer) - (23)
                                                             I think I'd give up, Bryce. - (static)
                                                             Funny... I could have sworn you said: - (admin) - (21)
                                                                 "doable" is not the criteria I am using. - (tablizer) - (20)
                                                                     ROFL - (admin) - (19)
                                                                         not GUI. QED - (tablizer) - (18)
                                                                             Nothing like answering the question, eh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                 and you did NOT answer my question - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                     Because... - (pwhysall)
                                                                             Ideal? No. Better than SCGUI? Yes. - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                 HTML + DOM + JS is a fricken mess - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                                     A little challenge - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                                         user interface - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                             Re: user interface - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                                                 Because nobody wants to use that crap for GUI's - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                     Re: Because nobody wants to use that crap for GUI's - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                         Forgot one. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                         sloppy counting - (tablizer)
                                                                                     A little challenge - (pwhysall)
                                                                                     Re: HTML + DOM + JS is a fricken mess - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                         starting a new road when traffic is sufficiently high - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                             Re: starting a new road when traffic is sufficiently high - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                 I have to disagree with your #2 response -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                     No, you don't "have to". You just do so anyway. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                 I'll have a large anchovy pizza, please. -NT - (pwhysall)
         Can you replace the frame with server-side push? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Meaning? - (admin) - (5)
                 I thought it did but... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     The object is to avoid opening a connection every second. - (admin) - (3)
                         40 per second? Faster than a MOVIE - (tablizer) - (2)
                             Re: 40 per second? Faster than a MOVIE - (admin) - (1)
                                 From the mouth of.. erm.. babes. - (addison)
         Synchronized browsing? - (ChrisR) - (4)
             That might not be a bad idea... - (admin) - (2)
                 Simpler than that... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                     Gah. :-) - (admin)
             I just said that (above)!! Copycat! :D -NT - (tseliot)
         Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (dshellman) - (3)
             Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (admin) - (2)
                 Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (dshellman) - (1)
                     Re: Stopping the browser throbber (new thread) - (admin)

...introduce an "if", and you're down the slippery slope. You add "for", and it's an avalanche. Then the "while" falls on you, and you're buried.
358 ms