IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Turing-complete == more-problems-complete
But it complicates the browser. A browser that only chomps "static" commands is going to be less complicated and have less problems and less security risks than one that chomps Turing-complete commands.

Once again (with feeling): that complexity has already been spent. The DOM/JS browsers are already out there, already installed, already working, already available for our use. This is a non-argument.

Not downloading code. I will agree that it may exchange an up-front wait for smaller, incrimental waits in some cases. But remember that SCGUI has asynchonous "send" options. Thus, the server can be checking stuff in-between "submits".

Funny, I'm doing asynchronous sends with DOM/JS. No advantage to SCGUI there.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New The "assembler" argument again
>> Once again (with feeling): that complexity has already been spent. The DOM/JS browsers are already out there, already installed, already working, already available for our use. This is a non-argument. <<

That is like saying, "well, since you can write a GUI handler in assembler, we will stick with assembler for everything."

If you throw enough client-side coding at a complex, bloated HTML browser; yes, you can emulate more or less what SCGUI does. However, that misses the point that a REAL GUI protocol that works over HTTP is generally needed.

Like I said, there is a general desire to do internet-enabled GUI's without a lot of pain. It can be FAKED with JS+DOM for only so long.

And your list of things that can't be done with DOM/JS is where?
Regards,

-scott anderson
New first choice? really really? first?
>> And your list of things that can't be done with DOM/JS is where? <<

And your list of things that can't be done in SCGUI?

That is moot anyhow. I agree that with enough arm-twisting, JS+DUM can probably handle most or perhaps all of it.

However, IT IS AWKWARD! For one, it requires at least 2 protocols. SCGUI is one protocol.

1 < 2

Second, JS+DUM is optimized for dancing brochure-like screen stuff, and NOT REMOTE BIZ GUI'S.

If you were assigned the task of designing a remote biz GUI protocol that worked over HTTP, would JS+DUM be your FIRST choice??????????

That is the key question that you refuse to answer. Gotcha!

I don't need one. It doesn't run on my client's machines, therefore it is out of the running from square one. Besides, I'm not the one claiming we need the Extra Special Brand New ActiveVisualNET SCGUI plugin thingy to Solve All Our Programming Needs.

Burden of proof is yours.

However, IT IS AWKWARD! For one, it requires at least 2 protocols. SCGUI is one protocol.

Once again, wrong. The developer using my JS/DOM library doesn't need to know any JS or DOM.

Second, JS+DUM is optimized for dancing brochure-like screen stuff, and NOT REMOTE BIZ GUI'S.

ONCE AGAIN, I am using it VERY SUCCESSFULLY in a "REMOTE BIZ GUI". As many times as you try to deny that, brush it under the rug, or otherwise ignore it, the fact remains that it WORKS.

If you were assigned the task of designing a remote biz GUI protocol that worked over HTTP, would JS+DUM be your FIRST choice??????????

That is the key question that you refuse to answer. Gotcha!

Er, sorry, I believe I already answered that (or at least implied it). Yes, it was my first choice, the implementation was extremely straightforward as compared to the complexity of the task, and in fact it will be going into production at the end of the year.

Don't try to be clever, Bryce... you actually have to be clever for that to work.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Lame first choice
>> Burden of proof is yours. <<

Because you say it is? I canNOT inspect your JS-dom crap, I only have the words that come out of your mouth.

>> Once again, wrong. The developer using my JS/DOM library doesn't need to know any JS or DOM. <<

The developer that made the library does. Plus, the browser still has to handle 2 protocols, regardless of how you divide your programming teams. The browser does not know nor care how the cubicles are arranged in your office.

>> Er, sorry, I believe I already answered that (or at least implied it). Yes, it was my first choice <<

So if you were the KING OF PROTOCOLS, JS+DOM would be how you would design a remote GUI protocol? (I am talking macro here, not micro.)

That sh*t is the best you can do?

>> the implementation was extremely straightforward <<

Again, I have no way to independantly verify that task. Besides, there is more to GUI's than updating textboxes fast.

That doesn't mean you can't come up with a list of things that DOM/JS can't do/isn't suitable for doing.

The developer that made the library does. Plus, the browser still has to handle 2 protocols, regardless of how you divide your programming teams. The browser does not know nor care how the cubicles are arranged in your office.

Just as the developer who made the SCGUI browser needs to know VB or whatever you wrote it in. Who cares.

So if you were the KING OF PROTOCOLS, JS+DOM would be how you would design a remote GUI protocol? (I am talking macro here, not micro.)

No, if I were king of protocols, we'd have wxPython and Python embedded in Mozilla, but I'm not, and we don't.

Again, I have no way to independantly verify that task. Besides, there is more to GUI's than updating textboxes fast.

Yup, you're right, which is why you can do thing like add table rows and the like with the library as well.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Grid?
>> That doesn't mean you can't come up with a list of things that DOM/JS can't do/isn't suitable for doing. <<

[insert standard "assembler" argument]

>> No, if I were king of protocols, we'd have wxPython and Python embedded in Mozilla, but I'm not, and we don't. <<

Then you would need a Turning Complete interpreter at the browser side.

>> Yup, you're right, which is why you can do thing like add table rows and the like with the library as well. <<

Does it actually have a "grid" widget, or does it just use a bunch of textboxes aligned in a grid?

Yup. And I could care less. You haven't made the case that this is a bad thing.

Does it actually have a "grid" widget, or does it just use a bunch of textboxes aligned in a grid?

The latter, which is exactly how "grid widgets" are built in the first place. Again, since the developer doesn't know or care how it's done, this is a specious argument.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New more to grids than that
>> The latter, which is exactly how "grid widgets" are built in the first place. <<

Real grid widgets also have vertical and horizontal scroll-bars and resizable column widths.

>> Again, since the developer doesn't know or care how it's done, this is a specious argument. <<

Partitioning development so that one does not have to care about the other's work does not get away from relying on 2 protocols/langs. To recreate your solution, a company would have to hire somebody(s) who knows both JS and DOM. Your use of the term "generic library" is very loose.

1 < 2

One word: Frames.

Partitioning development so that one does not have to care about the other's work does not get away from relying on 2 protocols/langs. To recreate your solution, a company would have to hire somebody(s) who knows both JS and DOM. Your use of the term "generic library" is very loose.

So assume that I create such an open source library and release it. Do your objections then go away?
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Frame == Grid? Egad!
>> [Real grid widgets also have vertical and horizontal scroll-bars and resizable column widths.] One word: Frames. <<

Frames are the kind of "half-ess GUI" solutions I keep talking about. It is tough to get the column name headers to line up as you scroll on both axi, for one. Plus, column widths still don't resize well without a lot of putzing around.

I can't call that a "real" GUI.

(In all fairness, my demo does not impliment an actual grid. But if it did, it would use a *real* GUI grid {a VB Grid widget in this case}, not a hokey simulation.)

>> So assume that I create such an open source library and release it. Do your objections then go away? <<

They would be reduced. Plus, we all would have something to actually compare and inspect.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Reply re: S/2
>> What's "Half-ess"? Half an S? <<

It is a slightly nicer way to say "half-ass", you dumb-ass!

Some people are offended by cussing due to religion or whatnot. I am just trying to respect their wishes a little bit.

I am a nice person, you see. Got that fuckhead!?

Peter
Shill For Hire
New anyhow, anybdy still wanna defend frames as grid substute?

Containing a single table.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New problems with that approach
1. The column headings don't stay at top or don't stay aligned if there is horizontal scrolling. (Most grids can "lock" columns vertically also.)

2. Frames mess up or confuse bookmarks (favorites) and printing.

3. You can't resize the column widths (by dragging the column heading borders).

(I normally don't brag about such, but after all the unjustified clubby hammering I get from you guys, I feel entitled.)

We've explained time and time again about this, and if you don't want to accept the clue I don't really think there's any profit to be gained in pursuing the matter.

Code your stuff the way you want to -- but don't be surprised when you can't get a programming job with "oop.ismad.com" in your signature.

The only thing worse than the OO zealots in comp.object is your *continual*[1] clue-free yammering about stuff that the people you're yammering at don't care about. You only add noise to those discussions. (Yes, I lurk on comp.object - it's a fascinating, growing psychological document)

[1] And it bloody is continual, too - I counted 80 posts in a day from you, once. That's not "having a debate", that's "having a an obsessive-compulsive disorder".

Peter
Shill For Hire
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 9, 2001, 05:42:46 AM EST
New I will bet you $100.00
>> We've explained time and time again about this, and if you don't want to accept the clue I don't really think there's any profit to be gained in pursuing the matter. <<

"accept a clue" is a personal insult. If you wish to insult somebody over technical claims, then please be prepared to back it up. If you want to discontinue your participation in this discussion, then simply say, "I disagree with you, but do not wish to participate in this discussion anymore". There is no need to post hit-and-run insults, like your "clue" shit.

Such insults just make me more determined to present more details to back my view. Insults DON'T make me go away.

If you can get HTML to do a grid "right" WRT to the column heading scrolling and left-locked columns, I will give you $100.00.

I still don't care. You don't listen amd I don't give a flying fuck.

You want an argument? Go troll elsewhere.

Peter
Shill For Hire
New And stop it with the "listen" sh8t
You ain't no teacher, you are a preacher.

Show me science and metrics and western reductionalism, not cliches and scripture.

I haven't been following this right shifted thread too closely, but I am interested in hearing how you achieved the asynchronous transmission (assuming you are at liberty to discuss it). No need to get real specific, just wondering about the general approach.

I've got a management tool that I wrote a couple of months back - in some ways it's similar to a project management tool. It draws a dynamic tree where nodes can be added based on the rights of the users. Currently, each node addition/subtraction is requiring a complete turnaround - though I do some cheats here and there for a couple of screens.

Anyhow, it sounds like your approach might be useful for some aspects of my application. :-)

New Re: Asynchronous xmit
Open an "endless" HTTP session in a hidden frame (or in another "pop-up" style window) and use that for communication back from the server. If you need to communicate to the server, do another POST.

The server connection sends back Javascript commands to the hidden frame that are executed as they arrive. There are some intricacies (batching commands for efficiency and the like) but those are the basics. It's actually pretty simple.

If that isn't sufficient, you can use a Java applet for two-way communication instead. It doesn't seem necessary, however.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Thanks...
I thought that's what you & TSEliot were discussing - I just couldn't tell whether that's the route you took. In my case, I don't really want to use applets because of various issues (firewalls, JVM versioning, etc). I have been doing some popup browsers that synchronize and redraw the display based on operator input for the popup browser - but only to a limited extent for a few of the easier screens. Sooner or later, I need to account for having multiple users hitting the same info and updating all the attached clients as the database information is modified.
New We're using it for updates...
Thousands of clients at a time. We have an in-house messaging server that is connected to by the endless servlet pushing the JS.

Regards,

-scott anderson
     Stopping the browser throbber - (admin) - (159)
         "This is the page that never ends... - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
             Prescient - (kmself) - (1)
                 Just have someone call - (imric)
         Infinite content or just infinite wait? - (tseliot) - (139)
             Wrong angle :-) - (admin) - (138)
                 Ahhhh. Circumventing another man's app by DESIGN. - (tseliot) - (137)
                     Don't control the deployment that much. - (admin) - (136)
                         Well, sure. - (tseliot) - (3)
                             One connection per session regardless. - (admin) - (2)
                                 Feh. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     ROFL - (admin)
                         Auto refresh? - (tablizer) - (131)
                             Re: Auto refresh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 ...which should be subject to user override - (kmself) - (1)
                                     We are talking B-to-B or intranet, right? - (tablizer)
                             The application uses auto refresh now. - (admin) - (127)
                                 Why is auto-refresh not satisfactory? - (tablizer) - (125)
                                     Because I work on actual large scale applications. - (admin) - (124)
                                         depends on needed refresh rate - (tablizer) - (123)
                                             Re: depends on needed refresh rate - (admin) - (122)
                                                 Nothing is truely "instant" - (tablizer) - (121)
                                                     Re: Nothing is truely "instant" - (admin) - (95)
                                                         JavaScript but *not* client-side script? - (tablizer) - (94)
                                                             Re: JavaScript but *not* client-side script? - (admin) - (93)
                                                                 that is still client-side script/applet - (tablizer) - (92)
                                                                     Fundamental disconnect - (Yendor)
                                                                     Re: that is still client-side script/applet - (admin) - (90)
                                                                         "generic" by what scope? - (tablizer) - (89)
                                                                             Re: "generic" by what scope? - (admin) - (88)
                                                                                 security risks - (tablizer) - (87)
                                                                                     Re: security risks - (pwhysall) - (77)
                                                                                         Turing-complete == more-problems-complete - (tablizer) - (76)
                                                                                             Re: Turing-complete == more-problems-complete - (pwhysall) - (48)
                                                                                                 Using 3 protocols is just plain silly, admit it! - (tablizer) - (47)
                                                                                                     Patently false: DHTML is not the same as DOM - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                         I did not say it was - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             JS/DOM is not the same as DHTML. - (admin)
                                                                                                     Patently false: three different protocols - (admin) - (22)
                                                                                                         How does that make any difference? Browser still deals w/ 3 -NT - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                                                             How does that make any difference? Developer still deals w/1 -NT - (admin) - (20)
                                                                                                                 NOPE, 2 - (tablizer) - (19)
                                                                                                                     Same in SCGUI. - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                                                         odd counting - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                                                                             Re: odd counting - yes, you do count oddly. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                 assumption missing - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                     That's even nuttier for you - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Clarification - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                                     Re: assumption missing - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                                                                                                         Cytrix is NOT latency-friendly, and.... - (tablizer) - (11)
                                                                                                                                             Yes it bloody well is! - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                                                                                                                 HTTP is important - (tablizer) - (9)
                                                                                                                                                     Bollocks - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         I saw it happen - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             Get a room guys... -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                                                             And that proves what? - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                                                             One last thing - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                                                         Actually Bryce has a point here - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             But I'm wondering how relevant it is. - (static) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 It is at least halfway - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                     Not quite irrelevent... - (addison)
                                                                                                     Patently false: HTML/DOM/JS requires full page reloads - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                         Sorry, I misread it. - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                             Once again: strawman alert - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                                 so you say - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Re: so you say - (admin)
                                                                                                     Only one protocol in use - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                         wrapping is not ridding - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             Well I never - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                     Patently false: SCGUI is immune to versioning problems - (admin) - (9)
                                                                                                         dancing widgets - (tablizer) - (8)
                                                                                                             SCGUI: moving the complexity to the server. - (admin) - (7)
                                                                                                                 VB, Delphi, Powerbuilder, etc. - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                                                     Once again, where is the value-add? - (admin) - (5)
                                                                                                                         same arguments over and over - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                                                                                             I'll agree with that. - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                                                 So at least you agree that they want GUI's - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                     Re: So at least you agree that they want GUI's - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         and YOU don't have to present code examples? -NT - (tablizer)
                                                                                                     Patently false: DOM/JS is too complex - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                         "Come here! I'll bite you to death" -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                     No, it's not. - (static)
                                                                                             Re: Turing-complete == more-problems-complete - (admin) - (26)
                                                                                                 The "assembler" argument again - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                                                     And your proof is? - (admin) - (20)
                                                                                                         first choice? really really? first? - (tablizer) - (19)
                                                                                                             Er, gotcha? - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                                                 Lame first choice - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                                                                     Sez you. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                         Grid? - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                             Re: Grid? - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                                                                 more to grids than that - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                                                                                     Re: more to grids than that - (admin) - (12)
                                                                                                                                         Frame == Grid? Egad! - (tablizer) - (11)
                                                                                                                                             What's "Half-ess"? Half an S? -NT - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                                                                                                                 Reply re: S/2 - (tablizer) - (9)
                                                                                                                                                     Don't swear then - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         anyhow, anybdy still wanna defend frames as grid substute? -NT - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                             Not frames, frame. - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                                 problems with that approach - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                                     Nobody is defending "frames == grid" after all these weeks - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                                         Bryce - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                             I will bet you $100.00 - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                                 I don't care - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                     And stop it with the "listen" sh8t - (tablizer)
                                                                                                 Asynchronous xmit - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                                     Re: Asynchronous xmit - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                         Thanks... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                                                                             We're using it for updates... - (admin)
                                                                                     Re: security risks - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                         Skinny client, skinny needs - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                             Re: Skinny client, skinny needs - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                                                 The "assembler" argument again - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                                     Your "point of view" - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                         I dn't care whthr it's new nor not. It is better than JS+DOM -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             You have yet to demonstrate that. -NT - (admin)
                                                                                                         Re: Your "point of view" - (addison) - (1)
                                                                                                             "Plug-in"? Uhm, isn't that called an X Server...? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                     I can see I'm going to have to go back to this again. - (admin) - (24)
                                                         This is *not* an OO battle.......yet - (tablizer) - (23)
                                                             I think I'd give up, Bryce. - (static)
                                                             Funny... I could have sworn you said: - (admin) - (21)
                                                                 "doable" is not the criteria I am using. - (tablizer) - (20)
                                                                     ROFL - (admin) - (19)
                                                                         not GUI. QED - (tablizer) - (18)
                                                                             Nothing like answering the question, eh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                 and you did NOT answer my question - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                     Because... - (pwhysall)
                                                                             Ideal? No. Better than SCGUI? Yes. - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                 HTML + DOM + JS is a fricken mess - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                                     A little challenge - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                                         user interface - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                             Re: user interface - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                                                 Because nobody wants to use that crap for GUI's - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                     Re: Because nobody wants to use that crap for GUI's - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                         Forgot one. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                         sloppy counting - (tablizer)
                                                                                     A little challenge - (pwhysall)
                                                                                     Re: HTML + DOM + JS is a fricken mess - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                         starting a new road when traffic is sufficiently high - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                             Re: starting a new road when traffic is sufficiently high - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                 I have to disagree with your #2 response -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                     No, you don't "have to". You just do so anyway. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                 I'll have a large anchovy pizza, please. -NT - (pwhysall)
         Can you replace the frame with server-side push? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Meaning? - (admin) - (5)
                 I thought it did but... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     The object is to avoid opening a connection every second. - (admin) - (3)
                         40 per second? Faster than a MOVIE - (tablizer) - (2)
                             Re: 40 per second? Faster than a MOVIE - (admin) - (1)
                                 From the mouth of.. erm.. babes. - (addison)
         Synchronized browsing? - (ChrisR) - (4)
             That might not be a bad idea... - (admin) - (2)
                 Simpler than that... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                     Gah. :-) - (admin)
             I just said that (above)!! Copycat! :D -NT - (tseliot)
         Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (dshellman) - (3)
             Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (admin) - (2)
                 Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (dshellman) - (1)
                     Re: Stopping the browser throbber (new thread) - (admin)

It's a Berkeley DB file - neat! I love retro.
254 ms