IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This is probably a natural evolution.
The natural evolution of a purely capitalist system, I mean. The first hint that something was amiss came to me long ago when employees stopped being people (who were routed through the now defunct "Personnel Office") and became YAN resource to be consumed by bizness (hence, routed through "Human Resources").

A perfect capitalist systems does not require working people. The only people required in such a system are the handful of people who own all the capital. Uber-capitalists in this country, somewhat paradoxically, could look to the UAW's experience to learn an invaluable lesson. In the 1970's, GM employed roughly 490,000 living, breathing, and yes, consuming people. Today that number is roughly half that of what it was. This is in no small measure because the UAW maintained that its semi-skilled people continue to be paid $25-$30/hour in their efforts to construct a product targetted to sell to a populace that, on average, made $6/hour. It had to fail, at least for many, and it did.

What capitalists can never seem quite to grasp is when they have enough. Moreover, they fail to see that when they continue to get more beyond what is enough they will ultimately lose it all.

To borrow from the pResident, "Bring 'em on."
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New One doomed to failure
get rid of the other people, and who will buy their products? If the Capitalists cut out all the blue collar workers and only leave the top 10% employed, what consumer is going to be able to afford their products and/or services? Do they just do business with themselves, sell to other countries, or let the business rot away due to a lack of customers? If you create a nation of $5/hr wage-slaves flipping burgers, working as security guards, working as store clerks, etc they are not going to even be able to afford to own a home much less a car or two.

No, this economy and business needs middle-class workers to be able to keep business and the economy moving.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Another take on the Man | Machine question - (Ashton) - (44)
         The Rise of the machines - (orion)
         This is probably a natural evolution. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             One doomed to failure - (orion)
         The absurd Progamme of Communist Party of Soviet Union - (Arkadiy) - (17)
             Different goals. - (inthane-chan) - (16)
                 The difference is in results - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                     Except this time real advances are being made. - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                         Perfect. - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                             Not quite true. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                 You assume that human behaviors are simple - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                     Children working in factories - (orion) - (1)
                                         Another example - (JayMehaffey)
                                     Next step in chain - (JayMehaffey)
                                     I view any AI wishful thinking similarly.. - (Ashton)
                     Be judicious with "never". - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         I wonder if we'll have reverse immigration soon - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                             Now? - (mmoffitt)
                             Won't work - (orion)
                             Already here - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                 That's different . - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                     Americans will never do that. - (mmoffitt)
         Why automate? - (gdaustin) - (16)
             Not necessarily a low mark to reach. - (hnick) - (12)
                 It's the repetition that makes machines cost-effective. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     Yeppers on that. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                         Printer assembly - (kmself) - (4)
                             Think about this for a minute.... - (gdaustin) - (3)
                                 I think that this forks into 2 different process streams - (hnick) - (2)
                                     Second Stream - (gdaustin) - (1)
                                         Heh.. Not the bus I was thinking of - (hnick)
                     But always in the narrow-trained Econ mind - - (Ashton) - (4)
                         I think you're thinking of Arundhati Roy - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Exactly - thanks. - (Ashton)
                         The problem - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                             In accord. - (Ashton)
             Why use third world country labor? - (orion) - (2)
                 Employees Don't Have a Choice... - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     Boomers >>> THE. G.I. BILL. <<< - (Ashton)
         Glacial change of social mores | Accelerated machines? - (Ashton)
         Player Piano - (tuberculosis)
         I've long thought something like that - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Oh, I expect . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 (er IF not when) Shall attend thine enthronement Oh #1-ASIC -NT - (Ashton)
                 Re: Oh, I expect . . - (kmself)

The parents are generally the last to know.
106 ms