IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good... now onto...
...making sure it's the hardware and NOT the OS. Boot Knoppix and *USE* it... Just like you'd do to get the re-boots... If it don't reboot it AIN'T the hardware... if it REBOOTS... then it's the hardware...

Assuming it's the OS (yes I know...) I am wondering when the last time you actually defragmented the drive... I'd schedule it for everynight. Yes, even with NTFS it can get severly fragmented and affect peformance *AND* stability. Don't revert to older drivers... especially with the nVidia stuff... usually it's a good thing... *I* don't believe it's the hardware persay... maybe some BIOS settings are not "optimal" for your setup.

Play around with them, but change one-two at most at a time *UNLESS* you know for sure WHAT it is. Use it, run it for a while, no change... put it back or leave it works either way. Then change some more... use it, if worse chnage it back... better leave it, and continue to tweak. You'd ve surprised how touchy SOME ASUS motherboards can be... Especially the VIA chipset boards... like you have... BUT they also tend to be the BEST boards out the ONCE you tweak em right... (on and ASUS A7V-133 Right NOW) as I have had experience (as has Wade) with Crappy doings on ASUS *UNTIL* you hit that Magic Sweet Spot... then it is typically SMOOTH sailing... for a long while. I STILL am having to tweak an Asus A7V-333 right now... to get it stable... grr... BTW, Auto for Voltages and such on ASUS boards is typically a good thing too... unless Over-Clocking... which you aren't.

I also have GigaByte Motherboards... GA-7VRXP (2), and GA-7VAXP (1)... love em to death too... but they as well require the tweakers touch... but not as much.

Wish it were easier than that... but... you know...

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New ok, but... what is KNOPPIX?
Because I'm not familiar with it at all. Its mention here in this forum is the first I've heard of it.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Well... _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Chris READ!!!!!
... it's a FULL Linux Distribution run from CD-ROM... Never touches your Hard Drive at all... unless you want it to.

GNOME, KDE, OpenOffice, the whole nine yards. LOTS of tools, browsers, editors, graphics tools, you naem it probably on it...

[link|http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html|Knoppix Homepage], Klaus Knopper is a Great Guy...

[link|ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/|Best D/L speed] I can find, yeah it's a ways away, but I always get cranking thoughput on it

If, yah don't have a BroadBand connection, or a high-speed to D/L the ISO or a Burner... e-mail me, I'll send you a few copies of it... (and Debian Woody CD's as well) for the simple reason... I want to...

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Jan. 13, 2003, 09:12:40 PM EST
     Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this problem - (cwbrenn) - (49)
         Check the mounting holes on the MB - (folkert) - (33)
             Re: Check the mounting holes on the MB - (cwbrenn) - (32)
                 It could be the Current Draw with the BAD - (folkert) - (31)
                     Hehehe, glad you like it - (cwbrenn)
                     Yeah, try a BIOS upgrade. - (static) - (29)
                         Well, I tried updating the BIOS - (cwbrenn) - (28)
                             Updating the BIOS doesn't seem to work. - (cwbrenn) - (27)
                                 Try resetting the CMOS - (orion)
                                 That it's now reporting the CPU correctly is actually good. - (static) - (25)
                                     Or check the CPU fan - (orion) - (1)
                                         Well, the CPU fan/heat sink - (cwbrenn)
                                     But if it were a bad driver for one of the peripherals, - (cwbrenn) - (22)
                                         Not particularly... - (folkert) - (21)
                                             OK, the specs. - (cwbrenn) - (20)
                                                 Good... now onto... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                     ok, but... what is KNOPPIX? - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                         Well... _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Chris READ!!!!! - (folkert)
                                                 Windows XP hardware registration ... ick. - (static) - (16)
                                                     More information - (cwbrenn) - (15)
                                                         Ouchy.... - (folkert) - (13)
                                                             of cards and coolers... - (cwbrenn) - (12)
                                                                 Review the placement of each card - (Steven A S)
                                                                 On cooling... - (folkert) - (10)
                                                                     Re: On cooling... - (deSitter) - (9)
                                                                         I use airflow dynamics... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                                             "Airflow dynamics?" - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                                                                                 Uhhh.... *SHRUG* - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                                     I can't help it - (cwbrenn)
                                                                         Add a component and it does work - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                                                             Ugh :) - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                 Huh? - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                     LMAO! - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                     Re: Huh? - (deSitter)
                                                         Check the IRQ->slot list in the m/b manual. - (static)
         Chris, I did not see mention of thermal compound. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Yeah, using Silver thermal compound - (cwbrenn)
         Timing issue? - (deSitter) - (2)
             I think so. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 Oh yes - (deSitter)
         Re: Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this pro - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
             Re: Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this pro - (cwbrenn) - (8)
                 They're different generation, so different T not unusual. - (Another Scott)
                 Odd - (JayMehaffey) - (6)
                     That's *very* hot. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         I'm very sure. - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                             Oh, nevermind. You were talking to Jay. :D - (cwbrenn)
                             Nothing to see. Move along. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         That is what it says - (JayMehaffey)
                     AHHH... YIKES... - (folkert)