IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this pro
When I attached a top-of-the-line heat-sink/fan combo to the 2000xp, it would start to boot and then immediately shut off three seconds later. I don't know why. When I attached the heat-sink/fan combo that came with the processor (which was substantially smaller) it booted just fine. Jim-dandy, even.

That would almost have to be head problem, even if if they rest isn't.

Still, I noticed (to my horror) that whenever the machine was running a game with particularly intensive cpu work (high graphics content like Morrowind, or lots of background calculations like civilizations III) or whenever I was doing a lot of heavy multitasking, the computer would often REBOOT, damn it all.

That could be a temperature problem or power problem or mix of both. One way to check is to leave the case of the computer and setup a fan blowing onto the CPU heatsink/fan. If that cools it enough to keep it stable, then your probably looking at a cooling problem.

I thought at first it was CPU heat, but I don't think it is, because I've switched to the old cpu and it actually seems to put out MORE heat, according to my hardware monitor, than the new one. Which is odd, but there you are

That sounds bogus. The Athlon 2000+ should be putting out way more heat then an Athlon 1000.

Could a computer actually draw in MORE power when it's doing more work?

Yep. A CPU uses power at every operation. The more it's doing, the more it uses.

Jay
New Re: Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this pro
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but according to my hardware monitor my Athlon 2000 was runing at about 48 degrees (celsius) and my Athlon 1000 is currently running at 51.

Both are with the case off.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New They're different generation, so different T not unusual.
AMD's web page could give you details on the power consumption, etc. The 2000 probably has a smaller die size so has less parasitic power consumption than the 1000, so even though it's running twice as fast it might actually consume similar or even less power and have similar or lower temperatures.

I doubt that your reboot issues are due to heat myself. I'd guess a BIOS update (as Greg suggested) or a BIOS memory timing issue or something like that. Can you try KNOPPIX with it and see if it's not an OS or driver issue?

Maybe grab a copy of [link|http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php|SpeedFan] and play with the memory timing, etc. Freeware (with donations requested).

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Odd
My Athlon 1800+ runs a temperature of 80-85 degrees celsius even when it's not doing anything. And that is with the case off also.

Jay
New That's *very* hot.
Are you sure that's correct? My Athlon 1000 (Thunderbird) at work runs at 34-35 C using a Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu heatsink/fan (with some cheap white grease). My IBM 60 GB hard drive is much hotter (54 C IIRC).

[link|http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1162&page=2|This] page measured 53-54 C for AthlonXPs with 2000+ and 2100+ ratings.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm very sure.
The mainbord is 29.0 deg. C, currently CPU1 is 49.0 deg. C, but just a minute ago it was 51. This is for the Athlon 1000.

- Edward Young
New Oh, nevermind. You were talking to Jay. :D
/me is egotist. :)
- Edward Young
New Nothing to see. Move along. :-)
Expand Edited by Another Scott Jan. 12, 2003, 04:21:40 PM EST
New That is what it says
I'm using a GA-7VAXP, which comes with a utility that reads the temperature off the motherboard sensor. The CPU is running 80 right now and the motherboard reads 45.

The only thing I've got tweaked on the system is the memory settings. To get it to run stably in the fastest memory mode I had to jack up the memory power one step. This increases the voltage for the memory only from 2.5 to 2.6. I've tested it both ways and this doesn't effect the CPU at all.

Heck, even on my old 1.1 Ghz Athlon I've never seen the temp go below 70 once the system is warmed up.

Jay
New AHHH... YIKES...
My Athlon 1800+ runs a temperature of 80-85 degrees celsius even when it's not doing anything. And that is with the case off also.

Wow, I have my thermal alarm set at 60 degree C. Maybe when playing UT2003 I get to 55 degree C. Or when running a couple of VMs on the same box... WHILE Overclocking it...as well...

You are sucking the life outta that THING!!!

Me, I have an XP1900+ running at ~1704 MHz all day everyday... Tweaked the Voltage up 2.5% on the CPU, RAM, PCI and AGP... all is well an good...

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
     Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this problem - (cwbrenn) - (49)
         Check the mounting holes on the MB - (folkert) - (33)
             Re: Check the mounting holes on the MB - (cwbrenn) - (32)
                 It could be the Current Draw with the BAD - (folkert) - (31)
                     Hehehe, glad you like it - (cwbrenn)
                     Yeah, try a BIOS upgrade. - (static) - (29)
                         Well, I tried updating the BIOS - (cwbrenn) - (28)
                             Updating the BIOS doesn't seem to work. - (cwbrenn) - (27)
                                 Try resetting the CMOS - (orion)
                                 That it's now reporting the CPU correctly is actually good. - (static) - (25)
                                     Or check the CPU fan - (orion) - (1)
                                         Well, the CPU fan/heat sink - (cwbrenn)
                                     But if it were a bad driver for one of the peripherals, - (cwbrenn) - (22)
                                         Not particularly... - (folkert) - (21)
                                             OK, the specs. - (cwbrenn) - (20)
                                                 Good... now onto... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                     ok, but... what is KNOPPIX? - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                         Well... _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Chris READ!!!!! - (folkert)
                                                 Windows XP hardware registration ... ick. - (static) - (16)
                                                     More information - (cwbrenn) - (15)
                                                         Ouchy.... - (folkert) - (13)
                                                             of cards and coolers... - (cwbrenn) - (12)
                                                                 Review the placement of each card - (Steven A S)
                                                                 On cooling... - (folkert) - (10)
                                                                     Re: On cooling... - (deSitter) - (9)
                                                                         I use airflow dynamics... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                                             "Airflow dynamics?" - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                                                                                 Uhhh.... *SHRUG* - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                                     I can't help it - (cwbrenn)
                                                                         Add a component and it does work - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                                                             Ugh :) - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                 Huh? - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                     LMAO! - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                     Re: Huh? - (deSitter)
                                                         Check the IRQ->slot list in the m/b manual. - (static)
         Chris, I did not see mention of thermal compound. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Yeah, using Silver thermal compound - (cwbrenn)
         Timing issue? - (deSitter) - (2)
             I think so. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 Oh yes - (deSitter)
         Re: Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this pro - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
             Re: Having the darndest time trying to troubleshoot this pro - (cwbrenn) - (8)
                 They're different generation, so different T not unusual. - (Another Scott)
                 Odd - (JayMehaffey) - (6)
                     That's *very* hot. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         I'm very sure. - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                             Oh, nevermind. You were talking to Jay. :D - (cwbrenn)
                             Nothing to see. Move along. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         That is what it says - (JayMehaffey)
                     AHHH... YIKES... - (folkert)

And there was much rejoicing... yayyyyy.
84 ms