IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: The United States is an imperial power that . . .
That makes all the difference. There is nothing wrong with spreading the benefits of a market economy. Our "colonies" never have to declare independence from us - unless you count Panama as a colony. We haven't forced Puerto Rico into statehood - it's up to them. Manifest Destiny is an historical curiosity that was discredited even by the time of the Mexican War (1847-8). Grant, who served gallantly in that war, repudiated it, and was not alone. MD did have one huge success - it was pronounced upon the South and made to stick.
-drl
New Bullshit on Manifest Destiny
Manifest Destiny was outmoded when the US was busy annexing half of Mexico?

That would be news to Mexico. And news a couple of decades later to Canada when it joined together for mutual defence in 1867 against the threats of the same happening to it. Threats delivered by William Seward who in the same time frame (1866) pusued the same end more peacefully by buying Alaska.

Some historical curiousity. Flavouring US actions decades after it was "discredited", and driving politics across the rest of the continent

This history of US relations with its neighbours resembles the relationship between a neighbourhood bully and his past targets. The bully doesn't like to admit that he was a bully, and constantly pretends surprise when past targets of his abuse are resentful about it.

Regards,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New "past targets"?
The bully doesn't like to admit that he was a bully, and constantly pretends surprise when past targets of his abuse are resentful about it.
Why are you using the past tense? Aren't there enough current examples? "Current" being defined as happening within the last 20 years.

We aren't JUST a bully. We're a RICH BULLY.

And we can pay people to do our dirty work when we don't want to sully our hands.
New I use the past tense because...
...the countries most directly affected by the past policy of Manifest Destiny are currently US allies. (As if they had a realistic choice about it...)

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
     In fairness to the French - (marlowe) - (35)
         ESAD - (deSitter) - (32)
             Ask the Taliban. - (marlowe) - (31)
                 puh-LEEEZ - (jb4)
                 I'll ask Osama. - (Brandioch) - (29)
                     Yeah, go ask Osama. - (marlowe) - (28)
                         Try to keep up with the news. - (Brandioch) - (27)
                             Was it from a named source? ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                             Try to keep up yourself - (marlowe) - (25)
                                 Link - (bepatient)
                                 You'd trust the Swiss over the US? - (Brandioch) - (23)
                                     Re: You'd trust the Swiss over the US? - (rcareaga) - (20)
                                         oops - (rcareaga) - (19)
                                             You must be new here. :) - (Brandioch) - (18)
                                                 Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga) - (16)
                                                     Welcome then - (ben_tilly)
                                                     I *like* that! - (SpiceWare)
                                                     Re: You must be new here. :) - (deSitter) - (13)
                                                         We are in empircal mode since the Monroe doctrine has been - (boxley)
                                                         There are none who so blind as he who will not see - (ben_tilly)
                                                         The United States is an imperial power that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                             Re: The United States is an imperial power that . . . - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                 Bullshit on Manifest Destiny - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                     "past targets"? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                         I use the past tense because... - (ben_tilly)
                                                         Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                             Now look here,__[cackle] __ Mr. rc - (Ashton)
                                                             Re: You must be new here. :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                 Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga)
                                                         a cleareyed defense of imperialism - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                             Don't forget the "peace" part. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Well... - (bepatient)
                                     Hol' on there, Brandi... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Yes, but you have a functioning brain. - (Brandioch)
         But, who wants to be fair to the French? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I do -NT - (deSitter)

So I pulled into a Shell station. They said I'd blown a seal. I said, "Fix the damn thing and leave my private life out of it, OK, pal??"
100 ms