IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New a cleareyed defense of imperialism
...was delivered by Winston Churchill, then First Sea Lord, to Parliament a few months before the outbreak of World War I. He spoke in defense of a proposal to spend 52,800,000 pounds sterling to build four new dreadnoughts--the sine qua non of military might in that era, roughly equivalent to today's nuclear submarines, long-range bombers, cruise missiles, ICBMs and strategic missile defense rolled into one. It is remarkably unsentimental, apart from one necessary nod to the fiction of noble purpose:

"Two things have to be considered: First, that our diplomacy depends in great part for its effectiveness upon our naval position, and that our naval strength is the one great balancing force which we can contribute to our own safety *and to the peace of the world* [emphasis added--the obligatory touch of selflessness]. Second, we are not a young people with a blank record and a scant inheritance. We have won for ourselves, in times when other powerful nations were paralysed by barbarism or internal war, an exceptional, disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world. We have got all we want in territory, but our claim to be left in undisputed enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, largely acquired by war and largely maintained by force, is one which often seems less reasonable to others than to us."

"largely acquired by war and largely maintained by force" -- doesn't resemble the spheres of influence of anyone *I* know--how 'bout you?

cordially,

"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New Don't forget the "peace" part.
Peace is usually defined as no one trying to take the stuff I want.

I never viewed "diplomacy" as requiring military might.

I always thought that was a "threat" or "ultimatum"

www.dictionary.com
Ultimatum: A statement, especially in diplomatic negotiations, that expresses or implies the threat of serious penalties if the terms are not accepted.

We have got all we want in territory, but our claim to be left in undisputed enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, largely acquired by war and largely maintained by force, is one which often seems less reasonable to others than to us.
Translation: We took it by military might and you should NOT try to take it from us by military might.

In fairness to the French - (marlowe) - (35)
         ESAD - (deSitter) - (32)
             Ask the Taliban. - (marlowe) - (31)
                 puh-LEEEZ - (jb4)
                 I'll ask Osama. - (Brandioch) - (29)
                     Yeah, go ask Osama. - (marlowe) - (28)
                         Try to keep up with the news. - (Brandioch) - (27)
                             Was it from a named source? ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                             Try to keep up yourself - (marlowe) - (25)
                                 Link - (bepatient)
                                 You'd trust the Swiss over the US? - (Brandioch) - (23)
                                     Re: You'd trust the Swiss over the US? - (rcareaga) - (20)
                                         oops - (rcareaga) - (19)
                                             You must be new here. :) - (Brandioch) - (18)
                                                 Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga) - (16)
                                                     Welcome then - (ben_tilly)
                                                     I *like* that! - (SpiceWare)
                                                     Re: You must be new here. :) - (deSitter) - (13)
                                                         We are in empircal mode since the Monroe doctrine has been - (boxley)
                                                         There are none who so blind as he who will not see - (ben_tilly)
                                                         The United States is an imperial power that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                             Re: The United States is an imperial power that . . . - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                 Bullshit on Manifest Destiny - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                     "past targets"? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                         I use the past tense because... - (ben_tilly)
                                                         Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                             Now look here,__[cackle] __ Mr. rc - (Ashton)
                                                             Re: You must be new here. :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                 Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga)
                                                         a cleareyed defense of imperialism - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                             Don't forget the "peace" part. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Well... - (bepatient)
                                     Hol' on there, Brandi... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Yes, but you have a functioning brain. - (Brandioch)
         But, who wants to be fair to the French? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I do -NT - (deSitter)

Anything that takes 8 minutes to get from 55 to 65 MPH is a good starter vehicle.
60 ms