IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: You must be new here. :)
//we don't have an empire, never had an empire, never will have an empire//

When I employed the term I had in mind as an audience people whose understanding of it was not formed by George Lucas. Of course we're an empire. We do not, as 7% of the world's population, get to consume 40% of its resources merely because we are clever and virtuous (I don't, incidentally, have a problem with 7%/40% disparity in itself--certainly as an American citizen I find it personally more congenial than I would were the numbers reversed--but I don't regard the numbers and the measures taken to maintain them as reasons for the rest of the world to love us). It requires the maintenance of a global network of clients, puppets, alliances of convenience. Since WWII we've particularly favored working through regimes who can do the dirty work on our behalf, so that Uncle Sam's gloves can retain at least the appearance of whiteness. And like any mature empire...

//Even to use the word in passing is offensive to a patriot//

--we are indignant when the loftiness of our purpose is questioned. Don't these ignorant savages understand that we're expending blood and treasure to bring them peace and enlightenment? Why are they such ungrateful and churlish wretches? This was true of Rome; of the British Empire; of the Sovs (Ivan Sixpack used to complain of all the subsidies provided to the ungrateful Eastern Europeans); and, of course, of the Land of the Free.

If it comforts you to buy into the myth of a benign national purpose, you are welcome to it, but you run the risk of appearing too cute for words when you earnestly argue the case for Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy to the grownups.

cordially,

"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New Now look here,__[cackle] __ Mr. rc
If perchance you were a lieder fan, I could imagine yer droppin in one o' my favs from the immortal Franz:

Mein schatz hats gr\ufffdn so gern..

(The er pretty miller's daughter's ex-swain's drippingly sarcastic odious-ode to her new infatuation mit Der J\ufffdger ie He Knows He's Toast)

(Of course - where That 'green' was about a hunter's typ outfit du jour - with the US: it be Our Only God and no mistake)

Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle..
When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
Not accepted. Your lib-simp-faux-rationlisme leaves me cold. Ill. I avoid the bloodless.
-drl
//Not accepted. Your lib-simp-faux-rationlisme leaves me cold. Ill. I avoid the bloodless.//

You must perforce remain cold, ill and bloody.

cordially,

"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
     In fairness to the French - (marlowe) - (35)
         ESAD - (deSitter) - (32)
             Ask the Taliban. - (marlowe) - (31)
                 puh-LEEEZ - (jb4)
                 I'll ask Osama. - (Brandioch) - (29)
                     Yeah, go ask Osama. - (marlowe) - (28)
                         Try to keep up with the news. - (Brandioch) - (27)
                             Was it from a named source? ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                             Try to keep up yourself - (marlowe) - (25)
                                 Link - (bepatient)
                                 You'd trust the Swiss over the US? - (Brandioch) - (23)
                                     Re: You'd trust the Swiss over the US? - (rcareaga) - (20)
                                         oops - (rcareaga) - (19)
                                             You must be new here. :) - (Brandioch) - (18)
                                                 Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga) - (16)
                                                     Welcome then - (ben_tilly)
                                                     I *like* that! - (SpiceWare)
                                                     Re: You must be new here. :) - (deSitter) - (13)
                                                         We are in empircal mode since the Monroe doctrine has been - (boxley)
                                                         There are none who so blind as he who will not see - (ben_tilly)
                                                         The United States is an imperial power that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                             Re: The United States is an imperial power that . . . - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                 Bullshit on Manifest Destiny - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                     "past targets"? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                         I use the past tense because... - (ben_tilly)
                                                         Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                             Now look here,__[cackle] __ Mr. rc - (Ashton)
                                                             Re: You must be new here. :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                 Re: You must be new here. :) - (rcareaga)
                                                         a cleareyed defense of imperialism - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                             Don't forget the "peace" part. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Well... - (bepatient)
                                     Hol' on there, Brandi... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Yes, but you have a functioning brain. - (Brandioch)
         But, who wants to be fair to the French? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I do -NT - (deSitter)

You have no concept of an internal monologue, do you?
74 ms