IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Job description
Hey, any techies here want to take the plunge?

The following is an email from a headhunter. What he describes
are the typical skills used in the industry.

When it says kdb, it really means kdb+ drive by programs written
in 'Q'.

Check it out:
http://en.wikipedia....e_from_Kx_Systems)

That's WILD.

Box? You'd LOVE working over here.

Admin: Good possibility of going back home to work. Maybe visit the city a couple of weeks the year.

Greg: There are mountains of servers in colos that need to be attended to.

Note: I am not speaking for my company, I got this from a headhunter who of course I am not going to respond to.

But I figure the info could be useful to you guys.
================================================================

The Electronic Trading Technology team is responsible for systems that trade almost all global equities, options and futures order flow within the firm. Our products cover Algorithms, Smart Routing, Crossing, Client and Exchange Connectivity, Portals, and Analytics and service all global businesses including Cash Equities, Equity Derivatives, Portfolio Trading, Risk and Statistical Arbitrage, Broker Dealers, Prime Brokerage, Private Client, and Futures & Options. Our systems are also being leveraged across other asset classes, including Commodities, Credit, FX, and Rates.

Day to Day:

- Responsible for configuring and deploying production applications

- Mastering, understanding and being accountable for production changes

- Helping to create efficiency in current deploy process and automating manual interactions

- Understanding change procedures and being able to liaison between DEV, QA and PROD teams

Our team is focused, collaborative, and driven. We are looking for suitable candidates to join the Integration team to work on a variety of projects and products within Electronic Trading Technology.

Candidates should have:

Skillset:

- Able to create scripts in Perl, KSH, Python

- Know how to navigate/query SQL tables

- KDB knowledge is a plus

- Javascripts/HTML(CGI) is a plus

· Trading knowledge - Equities, Options, Futures desired

· FIX knowledge desired
New yabbut Im tied up til the post stability bus throwing firing
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Looks more like an ops position
kdb is a columnar database like Vertica, with some nifty additions like realtime filter queries (similar to CEP). But very, very raw. It's fast as all hell, but learning to use it is a full time job.

And Q is *weird*. Like, why would anyone *want* to use this language weird.

Of course, the answer is that Q developers can make $500K/year in New York.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Sheesh. Do they work 140 hours a week?!?!
New Prolly 3 a day
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Nope
Treated VERY well.

The language thinks in finance terms, was created for this exact purpose. It is in offshoot of APL, but not requiring a special keyboard.

No loops. As TERSE as possible. As quick as possible. Both in programming and execution time.

And yes, this description describes an ops person, but these ops people are gold. And the hours are very good. Q was an extra (holy shit, he knows q, look at all the other stuff he can do for us) type of extra.
New Aw, cmon
> but learning to use it is a full time job.

Do you know it already, or have played with a variant? Please say no.

How about you see if you can get an educational copy. We'll have a little team/challenge exercise. We'll devote 3 hours a week for education, we'll come up with some type of test for each other, we'll help each other (see, I have a real motive) when we can't figure shit out, and we'll take a year.

Competitive study buddies.

At that point I'll have enough track record and experience to move big, and you'll have an easy high priced entry (write your own terms) with pretty much any org in the industry.
New hmmm, interesting
Q is entirely based on the notions of rewrite rules, reductions and irreducible expressions (also known as normal forms) pertaining to the term rewriting calculus.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Serious question(s).
What's to keep Giant Global Finance Corp, LLC, from bringing US superstar in for that Q position and using said superstar to train a group of superstars in Mumbai to do said Q job for $15k a year? And said US superstar thereby cutting his own throat, and making himself unemployable in the future?

"Amazing resume, US superstar. Unfortunately, you're overqualified and we can't pay your rate. If we hired you, you'd just jump ship in a few months when something better came along. We can't afford to do that. Sorry."

?

Or is US superstar expected to make himself indispensable by doing everything in SuperQ that s/he creates and nobody else can understand? I thought indispensable people had to be fired by "sensible" management because they were too dangerous to the business's future?

?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Remember when I said we were one in a million?
Some fought me, others agreed. Whatever the number, a large percentage of them work in my industry.

So #1: There are NO superstars in this situation, they are ALL superstars, in both capability and general mentality. The barrier for entry is too damn high. That includes management and how they handle the "talent".

http://www.kx.com/q/d/kdb+1.htm

As Bt taught me, As want to work with As, B want to work with Cs. These people are As and they keep it that way. As are always in demand.

So, no worries on either side.
New Thanks.
New Haven't used it
Just checked it out as a possible addition to the architecture.

I'll think about it.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Cool
Went to dinner here last night:
http://togrp.com/tog...tk-midtown/about/
No, I didn't pay.
We had a room in the back and continuous stream of mind blowing stuff.
Mmm, kobe beef.

I figure after I prove myself with python I'll move to kdb+/q.
Since you already have some trading background you will have a leg up.
And since we love python here, it'll be a double win for you.
Hmm, some type of python engine to generate q code.
Just a thought.

Went to 1st day of 2 day course python course yesterday.
Yum, generators. Now that is a nice time saver.
As I'm reading the docs, I keep on thinking of Modula.
And then the docs refer to Modula, saying the OO semantics are very close to it, but Guido rarely uses Modula terminology because so few people ever heard of it.

Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 10, 2013, 06:14:10 AM EDT
New Columnar? Is that table-oriented, eh?
I know a man who'd like that.
New rofl.
New Now that is evil! :)
Alex
New I still e-mail with...
BJ from time to time.

Wow, does he have a reputation. *STILL* to this day.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Well actually, no, it's the other way around:
It's "row order" that is the traditional "table-oriented" database model; "columnar" is the newfangled speed-up thingy that would probably screw up Captain Obvious' code like a bitch. (Come to think of it, now that I've had a chance to get reacquainted with Dr Goodnight's(*) creation, Br*ce would probably like the SAS system a lot.)

---
(*): No, not Holly. More's the pity.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Ahh, SAS
Eons ago we had a standard reporting process that ran on our mainframe built on the SAS freq report function. I was forced to upload large amounts of data just for it. It took a couple of hours to run on my data. Crap mainframe, crap CPU allocation, crap, crap, crap.

We didn't use any other functionality, just that damn freq report. From a very expensive yearly leased SAS environment.

I implemented that report in Perl 20 years ago, and have been carrying that code around since. One of the best damn bits of code I ever wrote. Not the code really, but the usable output. And it ran MUCH faster.

That looks to be a good python project. Time for a rewrite.
New Technology from 1995 is "new fangled"?
That's when Sybase IQ came out and it's a columnar data store.
New Yup, everything after ABBA split up is modern crap.
Now get off my lawn, punk!
--
Christian R. Conrad

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New ABBA who?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New the swedish millie vanillie wannabees /me flees!
New Milli Vanilli? Is that a new Starbucks drink?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New ABBA, the one and only, obviously.
Here: http://www.abba.se/p...sillinlaggningar/

HTH!
--
Christian R. Conrad

New question was ficitious... obviously
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New So was the answer, didja notice? :-)
New NO NEVAR! IN A BAHMILLION YEARS!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Bah, just because none of the pickled...
...herrings is _actually_ red. :-(
--
Christian R. Conrad

New Wow...
You do catch on... eventually.

Maybe some day, you'll be able to translate BOxlish for us. If only.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New that was a gag? sheeit I ordered some
New Naah, quite serious--the only gag was mine, the bit about...
...the band being "the one and only" Abba. AFAIK, the herring canners are a lot older and still going strong.

So, which kind did you order, and how much? :-)
--
Christian R. Conrad

New garlic sauce of course
from http://www.marinamar...perpage=999&pos=0
New Yuk - the one spice that doesn't go with herring.
Well, that and tomato, of course.
--
Christian R. Conrad

New I have some Abba on my phone
Heard take a "chance on me" while walking fast through the crowds on the way to the train. If you've ever been in Times Square in the dark it's a surrealistic experience. The monster full light billboards make sure there is no such thing as darkness, and the flashes of light and dark keep the crown entertained.
New How good that Her Majesty is amused.
New What goes around comes around...
I heard the people they taught in Scandinavia to write songs are now teaching songwriting to those behind quite a number of the current K-pop songs. :-)

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     Job description - (crazy) - (36)
         yabbut Im tied up til the post stability bus throwing firing -NT - (boxley)
         Looks more like an ops position - (malraux) - (34)
             Sheesh. Do they work 140 hours a week?!?! -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Prolly 3 a day -NT - (folkert)
                 Nope - (crazy)
             Aw, cmon - (crazy) - (6)
                 hmmm, interesting - (boxley)
                 Serious question(s). - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Remember when I said we were one in a million? - (crazy) - (1)
                         Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Haven't used it - (malraux) - (1)
                     Cool - (crazy)
             Columnar? Is that table-oriented, eh? - (pwhysall) - (23)
                 rofl. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Now that is evil! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     I still e-mail with... - (folkert)
                 Well actually, no, it's the other way around: - (CRConrad) - (19)
                     Ahh, SAS - (crazy)
                     Technology from 1995 is "new fangled"? - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                         Yup, everything after ABBA split up is modern crap. - (CRConrad) - (16)
                             ABBA who? -NT - (folkert) - (14)
                                 the swedish millie vanillie wannabees /me flees! -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Milli Vanilli? Is that a new Starbucks drink? -NT - (folkert)
                                 ABBA, the one and only, obviously. - (CRConrad) - (11)
                                     question was ficitious... obviously -NT - (folkert) - (8)
                                         So was the answer, didja notice? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                             NO NEVAR! IN A BAHMILLION YEARS! -NT - (folkert) - (6)
                                                 Bah, just because none of the pickled... - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                     Wow... - (folkert)
                                                     that was a gag? sheeit I ordered some -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                         Naah, quite serious--the only gag was mine, the bit about... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                             garlic sauce of course - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 Yuk - the one spice that doesn't go with herring. - (CRConrad)
                                     I have some Abba on my phone - (crazy) - (1)
                                         How good that Her Majesty is amused. -NT - (CRConrad)
                             What goes around comes around... - (static)

Just give me credit in the Garamonde-Flighty footnotes.
131 ms