Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New {waves whiteflag} .. OK they had a PDP-5 too, but -
What was most fun was the process:

1) Write out the code in octal
2) Punch the cards for the CDC-6600
3) Order batch job (CPU time: 1 mS)
4) Fetch and bring back Big 10.5" reel of tape (.0000000001% used)
5) Run local tapedrive and punch paper tape
6) RIM for PDP-8, use switches to load binary for ~12 boot instr.
7) Run tape (!) on ASR-33
8) Now.. you can see if it worked. If not?
9) GoTo 1)

..the exercise alone, running up the hill to CDC territory, pretendin to be a geek - even kept one 'in shape' (the Real hidden cost of CRT coding... is skipping steps 2) thru 8))

A.
just not cut out for it..
New I remember...
... programming a kit micro-computer. In machine code. 'Twas a kit for electronics hobbyists featuring a Z80, 2k RAM, 20 button keypad, 6 LED digits and an expansion socket. Programming required copious pencil and paper, and an op-code listing.

It was really after I lost interest that I found out that the Z80 op-codes were designed by thinkers in octal, not hexadecimal.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

stop the violence play starts fights - (boxley) - (24)
         That's the trouble with these bozos who run public schools. - (marlowe) - (23)
             agreed -NT - (boxley)
             All that and a bag of chips! - (orion) - (21)
                 And the school admins will reply to your points: - (Ashton) - (20)
                     Ah, for the old swat-board - (wharris2) - (6)
                         You leaped there, not moi. - (Ashton) - (4)
                             Nice theory, hard to apply - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                                 Aye, there's the rub. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     I gotcher missing word right 'ere! - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Yup, I'd say we've achieved *lock-in* -NT - (Ashton)
                         Ah, memories - (altmann)
                     Well then, lets see it another way shall we - (nking) - (12)
                         Yer lookin BACK, again.. - (Ashton) - (11)
                             Back to the future. - (marlowe) - (10)
                                 I can de-trump that ______:-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (6)
                                     Oh Yeh? I did assembler on the PDP-1 in 1961! Really. :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                         {waves whiteflag} .. OK they had a PDP-5 too, but - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             I remember... - (static)
                                     I'll see yer PDP-8... - (jb4)
                                     Cool... the problem with this kind of thing is... - (hnick) - (1)
                                         I can romanticize the era a bit since, - (Ashton)
                                 Useless skills - (wharris2) - (2)
                                     Yeah, but can you post here that way? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Probably post *something*, if I could find a 300 baud modem -NT - (wharris2)

RESISTANCE IS USELESS!
76 ms