IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well then, lets see it another way shall we
f were a kid and got picked on a lot by bullies and the school refused to do anything about it, would get a lawyer and sue the school, the bullies, and the parents of the bullies for making my environment a hostile environment by the bullies harassing me. I would get a court order against the bullies to stay 300 feet away, and carry it with me. If they break it, then they can go to juvie, or military school, whatever. It would either be that, or stay at home and have a lot of sick days trying to recover from being picked on. But nothing like what happened at Colunbine, because I am against violence.

"Will work for fair salary and benefits, seeking company with integrity."
New Yer lookin BACK, again..
About what you'd do (when you get to relive that all, equipped with x years more experience, some $ and a personal lawyer plus accumulated anger to-date)

Notice how unsatisfying that is? Doesn't it also feed an er depressing view of everything?

Wouldn't it create more positive fantasies.. to imagine that you might well be quite capable of something other than VB (and the mindset which Corp brings to the employment of anonymous VB-making-machines, 'which' [not 'whom'!] they put in little boxes and flog)?

From Aardvark-minding through Zebra-tending -- can you *imagine* a future different from that past? A next... that is..

Please try. Then begin to develop imagination. Then.. try again.

A.
New Back to the future.
The one good thing about regrets is that next time you're in the same situation, other options come quickly to mind, having been thought of earlier at one's leisure.

But I'll second your point about skills development. You can never have too many. And no regrets about those of lesser value. Me, I don't even know VB. But I've got other useless skills. PDP-10 assembly language programming, anyone?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New I can de-trump that ______:-\ufffd
PDP-8 !! ASR-33, paper tape (still have one of my Argghhh33 BCD tape-reading programs of a few octal commands = on paper tape, natch). Ahhh... that smoked-grey plastic cover and all those un-coded yellow wires on the backplane. How many fabrication folk had to be committed, after a dozen iterations (?)

Yep, these namby pamby CRT-slaves don't know what Reel computing was like.. jes like - they never heard The Shadow or Charlie McCarthy and gots no idea how Much better radio was (for mysteries n'stuff cf. Orson Welles) than Tee Vee.

..buncha pampered dilettantes!

Ashton
Damn.. my Emerson needs a 35Z5, and a Nixie's out in the NLS counter, too.

My utterly biased and incompetent view of 'VB' is - were I to pay any attention to it, I would be constantly reminded of Billy's sordid history; that I was contributing to his continuance.. so then next: I'd be nauseous. I can live with the irrationality. But not with 'VB'. Or .NET or
New Oh Yeh? I did assembler on the PDP-1 in 1961! Really. :)
18-bit word machine. Paper tapes produced on a Flexowriter. [link|http://www.dbit.com/~greeng3/pdp1/pdp1.html|PDP-1 Link.]
Alex

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." -- Neils Bohr (1885-1962)
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x March 14, 2002, 12:13:14 AM EST
New {waves whiteflag} .. OK they had a PDP-5 too, but -
What was most fun was the process:

1) Write out the code in octal
2) Punch the cards for the CDC-6600
3) Order batch job (CPU time: 1 mS)
4) Fetch and bring back Big 10.5" reel of tape (.0000000001% used)
5) Run local tapedrive and punch paper tape
6) RIM for PDP-8, use switches to load binary for ~12 boot instr.
7) Run tape (!) on ASR-33
8) Now.. you can see if it worked. If not?
9) GoTo 1)

..the exercise alone, running up the hill to CDC territory, pretendin to be a geek - even kept one 'in shape' (the Real hidden cost of CRT coding... is skipping steps 2) thru 8))

A.
just not cut out for it..
New I remember...
... programming a kit micro-computer. In machine code. 'Twas a kit for electronics hobbyists featuring a Z80, 2k RAM, 20 button keypad, 6 LED digits and an expansion socket. Programming required copious pencil and paper, and an op-code listing.

It was really after I lost interest that I found out that the Z80 op-codes were designed by thinkers in octal, not hexadecimal.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New I'll see yer PDP-8...
(..on which I learned the fine art of programming...)...and raise you a Signetics 2650.
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Cool... the problem with this kind of thing is...
when you forget to take it off your resume. A couple jobs back, ~8 years or so, I neglected to scrape RMX and ISIS off the trailing end of my resume. I had hired on as a contractor with flexible duties, and wouldn't you know, every time there was a problem with the legacy RMX stuff, I got to handle it.

There's a lot of stuff that was kinda fun at the time, made you feel shit hot at the time, but you really wouldn't want to have to do it again. For the record, I *HATED* paper tape and Hollorith (sp?) cards.

I threw away the S-100 Z80 machine I built about 10 years ago. Didn't even have a hard drive... imagine...

More recently, I pitched my 8 inch floppies, then the 5 1/4 ones.

I don't really think that the good old days were good enough to go back to. The fine parts are nice to dwell upon, but most of the experience is better forgotten... (picking through core dumps, brain dead monitor programs, editors that made vi look intuitive... the list can be ghastly.) On the other paw, if this is a version of "mine's bigger than yours", on with the games!

Regards,
Hugh
New I can romanticize the era a bit since,
I escaped --> where it was leading (apparently, as we read today's little entry in Microsoft Guilty forum) to merely and permanently:

All Windoze All the Time or, yer a Terrorist and the Home Guard will getcha..

Sorry guy n' gals, but the trend seems to be: any imaginable progress in your field has just about been ceded to - almost any location far enough off-shore. You are all about to retire or become Ballmerized (if not incarcerated too).

Ashton
nostalgia ain't what it used to be..
New Useless skills
I can sing at 300 baud; eg, well enough that the other modem will connect. :=)
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Yeah, but can you post here that way?
"Look, Ma, no hands!" ;^>
New Probably post *something*, if I could find a 300 baud modem
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
     stop the violence play starts fights - (boxley) - (24)
         That's the trouble with these bozos who run public schools. - (marlowe) - (23)
             agreed -NT - (boxley)
             All that and a bag of chips! - (orion) - (21)
                 And the school admins will reply to your points: - (Ashton) - (20)
                     Ah, for the old swat-board - (wharris2) - (6)
                         You leaped there, not moi. - (Ashton) - (4)
                             Nice theory, hard to apply - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                                 Aye, there's the rub. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     I gotcher missing word right 'ere! - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Yup, I'd say we've achieved *lock-in* -NT - (Ashton)
                         Ah, memories - (altmann)
                     Well then, lets see it another way shall we - (nking) - (12)
                         Yer lookin BACK, again.. - (Ashton) - (11)
                             Back to the future. - (marlowe) - (10)
                                 I can de-trump that ______:-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (6)
                                     Oh Yeh? I did assembler on the PDP-1 in 1961! Really. :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                         {waves whiteflag} .. OK they had a PDP-5 too, but - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             I remember... - (static)
                                     I'll see yer PDP-8... - (jb4)
                                     Cool... the problem with this kind of thing is... - (hnick) - (1)
                                         I can romanticize the era a bit since, - (Ashton)
                                 Useless skills - (wharris2) - (2)
                                     Yeah, but can you post here that way? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Probably post *something*, if I could find a 300 baud modem -NT - (wharris2)

What's the point of being heavily armed if you can't be impulsive? I mean, really...
72 ms