IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 20 years is the limit of my personal experience.
The military prefers nicely placed rounds.

But......a few years ago we were ready and willing to nuke friendly countries (or the land of friendly countries). In Germany, we did not have enough force to stop the Russians (the bad Russians, then). They had way more tanks than we could hope of taking out with conventional fire.

So, we were willing to use battlefield nukes against a Russian tank offensive in Germany.

As far as I know, we haven't faced a decision like that anywhere else. China might be the only other country that could do that (field more conventional forces than we can kill).

Now, the problem with this thinking is.............................

What if our enemies start thinking like that?
New Re: 20 years is the limit of my personal experience.
[snip]

> So, we were willing to use battlefield nukes against a Russian tank offensive in Germany.
>
> As far as I know, we haven't faced a decision like that anywhere else. China might be the only other country that could do that (field more conventional forces than we can kill).
>
> Now, the problem with this thinking is.............................
>
> What if our enemies start thinking like that?
>

Eh? The only time the United States has ever been on the long end of the numbers game militarily was the second half of WWII and Viet Nam. In Korea, especially, the correlation of forces was against us. I don't know if nukes in Korea were proposed or not, though recalling Dynamic Doug I would suppose they probably were (and the proposal mashed immediately by That Hick In the White House).

Military planning is, in general, predicated on the notion that the enemy is in fact thinking the same way; this is one of its limitations, sometimes phrased as "fighting the last war" (cf. "Maginot Line"). US military planning has since the Sixties been based on the concept of small flexible forces rather than mass evolutions. This has been mostly forced, as Congress has never been willing to fund the kind of millions-of-serfs armies some of the dumber generals might have wanted, but it's also somewhat cultural. Whether you believe it or not, American military people are in fact Americans, and in many ways think the same way you and I do -- and that has for years put a premium on flexibility.

At the present moment, an opponent who "thought just like us" would be easy, because they wouldn't attack! One who was trying to copy us but didn't really have the thinking down would be faced with a modified version of the same problem al Qaeda has at the moment -- the things we use are really pretty good, considering, and they're all based on the high-tech and (especially) high-wealth society they ultimately come from. You can't duplicate anybody's tactics unless you can duplicate their weapons, or at least substitute credibly for them -- and can't nobody but us afford all the, as Jack Nicholson memorably put it in Batman, "wonderful toys".

Really, it puts the correlation firmly in our favor. Any society that actually built itself into the kind of wealth we now have wouldn't be inclined to start any wars -- war is expensive, and all your pretty toys are likely to get smashed if the other guys get lucky, plus the fact that when you come right down to it, it's easier and cheaper to trade than to fight. And that, too, is part of our military's thinking.
Regards,
Ric
New Not that thinking.
When we were faced with overwhelming Russian forces we were ready to use nukes.

We now have the overwhelming force to deploy.

What happens when our enemies see our force and resort to nukes as we were ready to?
New What was the Clancy novel?
Red Storm Rising, I think?

In it, he postulated that the main U.S. reinforcements arrived just in the nick of time to avoid having to use nukes. And he's generally thought to be reasonably good in his military hardware/ideas.

I think his hero-of-all-sorts Ryan was in that book, although Red Storm Rising seems to have dropped out of the "official" Ryan universe.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Red Storm
Red Storm Rising grew out of Larry Bond's wargame Harpoon.

It does not have any [visible] characters in common with the John Clark / Jack Ryan series.
Dave

Former 'Target' sailor
New Re: Not that thinking.
Well, that's what I was trying to address in the last paragraph. Fonzie's rule: It's gotta be credible.

One of the most enduring themes in American military thought began with Sherman's March to the Sea. It seldom gets stated, but it permeates the theory. It is this: A wealthy, industrially-based society can not profit from imperialism. The only things it can possibly want that must be taken by force are other industrial products -- and the enemy's industrial strength will enable him to resist until the very things you want to capture and take are all smashed. Democracy and the like have nothing to do with it at first remove of that theory; at second remove, they are enablers that produce the wealth in the first place. We have no reason to attack another wealthy industrial society; no other wealthy industrial society has reason to attack us; in both cases we can make more money by trading, even if we hate one another.

Building nuclear weapons requires a certain minimum of things -- uranium, machine tools, highly educated people -- that simply do not exist in a low-wealth society. The Russians managed it in what I'll call a "medium wealth" society by stripping it down to "low wealth" for most individuals in the society, and had a big pool to strip.

The people who are likely to be our enemies simply don't have the scratch. Do you seriously imagine that Saddam Hussein, or the Ayatollahs, or Osama bin Laden, or any of those folk would hesitate to blow us to smithereens with whatever they could come up with? If you do, you simply don't understand the situation. If they had nukes, they would have used nukes -- they have nothing, nothing whatever to hold them back.

The countries which could be credibly expected to have nuclear weapons can not be expected to use them -- and the question of what they'd do if we attacked is moot, since we have no reason whatever to attack them [Frog-bashing aside].

Those who can build nukes are wealthy societies with no reason to attack us, and no reason for us to attack them. [They almost certainly wargame us attacking them, and probably include nukes in the equation. We most certainly wargame them attacking us, ditto. It's something to do between real wars.]

Those with reason to attack us, and reason for us to attack them, are at their root poor societies who produce nothing, and have no chance of building nukes. They might steal or improvise a few, and kill a bunch of Americans. By their current and recent past behavior, you're in more danger from such an attack than anyone in uniform, and so am I.

So yes, your question's been thought of. And answered, as above.
Regards,
Ric
New India and Pakistan.
You're quite correct. For a segment of the population.

Saudi Arabia has the money. They also have the fanatacism.

Saddam was, from what I read, advancing fairly far in nuke development. Using a variation of an old technique that we had abandoned.

A wealthy, industrially-based society can not profit from imperialism.
If you're looking at pure cost/benefit dollars, that is true. If you're looking at it as ethnic cleansing, that's not true. If you look at it as defeating the infidels, that's not true. If you look at it as finally paying them back for what they did 150 years ago, that's not true.

Just look at the attack on the WTC. They were not poor, they had advanced training, yet they were willing to throw their lives away to kill some infidels.

Now, what would happen if, instead of being willing to die for the cause, they were willing to devote their life to the study of how to build a nuke? Remember, the first nuke we built was back in the 40's. It doesn't have to be advanced. It just has to work.

The people who are likely to be our enemies simply don't have the scratch.
And as time progresses, the technology becomes cheaper and cheaper.

Do you seriously imagine that Saddam Hussein, or the Ayatollahs, or Osama bin Laden, or any of those folk would hesitate to blow us to smithereens with whatever they could come up with?
If they had them, they would probably have used them. The falacy is thinking that, since they do not have them TODAY, they will not have them TOMORROW.

If you do, you simply don't understand the situation.
In 1945, there was ONE nation with nuclear capability. The USofA.

Today, there are NINE (The USofA, England, France, China, India, Pakistan, Israel and Russia). There are a copule dozen nations that were actively researching nukes. Libya keeps trying to buy parts from us. One day, they will find the right person to bribe and they will get them.

If they had nukes, they would have used nukes -- they have nothing, nothing whatever to hold them back.
If they had HAD them, that is true. If they acquire them, they will use them.

The countries which could be credibly expected to have nuclear weapons can not be expected to use them....
Well.........we weren't sure that Russia wouldn't use them. And we know that China might, in the right circumstances. India vs Pakistan is anyone's guess. Israel? I guess that would depend upon any Arab states getting close to nuke capability. Pre-emptive strike on their research site and all.

Those who can build nukes are wealthy societies with no reason to attack us, and no reason for us to attack them.
The average income of the median individual in Russia? India? Pakistan? China? "Wealthy" is relative. Osama has the money to send anyone to any school to learn. But he's too caught up in the individual martyr syndrome to realize it.

They might steal or improvise a few, and kill a bunch of Americans. By their current and recent past behavior, you're in more danger from such an attack than anyone in uniform, and so am I.
Exactly my point. Because they cannot match us on the conventional battlefield, they will send nukes.

And it is only a matter of time before that happens.

Unless we start dealing with the root issues now.
New Agreed - down to the root issues -
The always-present gap between Haves/Have-nots.. lately accelerating in the direction of larger and larger disparity in who has the wealth/$/power of the world.

Most everyone knows many numbers - wherein the US uses 25% of this, 20% of that - of all the stuff there is. We're ~5% by number. Add-in the rest of the rich nations -- and divide up the remaining amount: down to the folks who subsist (!..) on US 50\ufffd/day.

*Many* of us spend $25,000 for a car! vs using camel- cow- dung for fuel to heat rice with occasional protein as garnish. Waste and Excess for its own sake, is what we represent at the #1 position.. whereas in Vietnam today: many cooking pots in daily use are made from our discarded ammo-boxes, other similar detritus.

Root-cause? I wonder if we've ever been further from - wanting to assess the prospects for the world / our role in that, in any truthful way. We would have to be willing to alter some of our habits, to even begin to plot some course away from the present consumption habits and the theology-wars.

And even these are not really about any God: they are about Having/Not-having the means for a decent life, not an extravagant one. The God-stuff is merely the habit of centuries: an excuse to kill for vengeance of forgotten ancestors - because you lack the honesty and guts to say:

I want a little of what *You* have too-much of, in exchange for *My* not making your life hell in the ways which (even.. I) *Can*.

Is it any more complex an unfaced root-issue than that?

Ashton
New Ashton, you said it.
"I want a little of what *You* have too-much of, in exchange for *My* not making your life hell in the ways which (even.. I) *Can*."

Next time we try to figure out whose fault 9/11 is and what to do about it - I will remember that phrase of yours. There is an entire policy, waiting to be implemented, in this phrase alone.
New If there were a simpler explanation
for all the posturing and Jingoism rampant everywhere - I'd look for that simpler one. It might just be the variation ~ when you possess enough force to not need to* reign in unrestrained greed for It All, you get Billy n'Bally as your local model of Success and: Machiavelli incarnate.

* because no one Else can force you to.

I do realize that, none of the stuff in these forums is likely to have any effect at all on the 3% who, via Corporate overall organization: determine our fate, next.

But occasionally, words have indeed those famous consequences. If we live in a milieu where daily slogans substitute for anything like earnest solitary thinking.. then Slogans can work as much for sanity as for conserving the status quo, their usual function.

Maybe somewhere out in the soup, are some Slogans coalescing.. as counters to the current US direction of Ashcroftian Fundamentalist doggerel + massive nuclear firepower = the forming of the US Empire Worldwide (via Space, it seems).

I hope that is the case, but the momentum is growing for 'conserving' 20th century rationalization: the century of the most hideous wars yet.

Good luck to us all,

Ashton
I've lived ~ long enough, but most here: haven't. You'll have to work to keep the chance, as always.
New Aston..I must disagree...

Root-cause? I wonder if we've ever been further from - wanting to assess the prospects for the world / our role in that, in any truthful way. We would have to be willing to alter some of our habits, to even begin to plot some course away from the present consumption habits and the theology-wars.

And even these are not really about any God: they are about Having/Not-having the means for a decent life, not an extravagant one. The God-stuff is merely the habit of centuries: an excuse to kill for vengeance of forgotten ancestors - because you lack the honesty and guts to say:

I want a little of what *You* have too-much of, in exchange for *My* not making your life hell in the ways which (even.. I) *Can*.

Is it any more complex an unfaced root-issue than that?

I might be idealistic...but I do think the issue is more complex than the simple cash issue.

(Marlowe above, in a very humorous way) proves this via his cite of Kurwait attitudes.)

But I think you are close. Money (and power) are important. But the other aspect is freedom. The US has repeatedly propped up figureheads solely to protect American interests (hell, Marlowe is asking why he haven't done that in Kurwait).

In effect, we tell people they can live any way they want, as long as American interests are met. (And when they aren't met, American guns and armies seem to get used somehow.)

We (Americans) maintain that freedom is worth more than money...why do we assume that others do not feel this way?
New Koki Annann on Charlie Rose, last night
Seems there is to be something of a 'summmit' regarding the increasingly stark plight of (much of the world but esp. Africa) - about money, AIDS, etc. UN Gen. Sec, Bush and many others to attend.

(He tactfully omitted the US's non-payment of dues to the UN, BTW)

Annann spoke of creating occasions for face-to-face with businessmen of the world, of the emergent? 'standard' of IIRC "0.7% of GNP of the rich nations" - a number which reflects the "all in it together" (I paraphrase) fact of the effects upon everyone.. if many more billions --> head further down the toilet into chaos and blind rage.

It seemed that Murican businessmen were quite sparse (or nonexistant?) on that list - but both of them mentioned and praised Bill Gates' recent massive donation re childrens' medicine.. [even I have to *gulp* over that conscience-transplant.. which seems to have taken? How Nice if I have been wrong-wrong, and he has matured actually..!]

It wasn't a recitation of a list.. but, seems that several Euro countries are meeting this arb.'tithe' - the US is not even close (I think he refrained from mentioning exactly how un-close). It may be <1/10th of that. Have to hear more about this planned conference and its agenda..

Believe one factoid was, "2 billions earn <$1 USD/day"; x-hundred millions of [women natch] must walk increasingly long distances - even to get barely potable water. Noone can afford drug costs - not only re AIDS. Some figures given on the AIDS toll in Africa [1][2]

He made the case of (even mere) self interest of the wealthy nations - demanding much more than lip service and (I inferred: often later delayed or diluted) .. aid to arrest a trend which is gathering momentum downward.

He also spoke candidly of the requirement to create means of preventing the hijacking of funds.. in the usual Swiss-bank manner. (Can't recall if a plan or a Wish) -- recovery of some of the funds already in these havens for the rich and also unconscionable. Dunno if there is a plan afoot for some 'worldwide' actions on behalf of the people whose wealth was stolen in the (?) (My thought: however difficult.. about time.)

Despite Rose's occasional prodding, Annann refrained from dissing the US - didn't even mention the Fundamentalist/Ashcrofian recent withholding of family planning = even birth control funds worldwide, along with much else we regularly promise - then fail to deliver (like our UN dues). I note that this last action - has long been a Far-Right aim: to force all beneficiaries of 'aid' to join Right theology or - drown.

Rose and Annann both referred to "this wall" prior to 9/11 - between the rich nations and the majority of world's population living on a fraction of that standard. And the arguments about ~"why it is not charity but enlightened self-interest" for us all to finally act towards some efficient upgrading (my words not theirs) - were cogent and some seemed positively wise (to me).

Possibly 9/11 shall prove to have had some beneficent effects, in time and despite the horrors and subsequent local rewriting of the Constitution.. yeah, maybe we'll get lucky and then again...

Ashton

[1] Jon Carroll - prolly the widest-read SF Chronicle columnist since Herb Caen died.. had a few wry comments on the Bush determination to fund 'abstinence-only' as a substitute for sex education. YAN theological intrusion into US policy, with the obvious criticisms of defunding the other marginally effective approaches. He mentioned the 3 million AIDS deaths in sub-Saharan Africa by example:

The Giants drew about 3M to Pac Bell Park last year. Imagine slaughteing everyone in the stadium; stacking bodies in Union Square. Now do this for an 81 game season. The bodies will be higher than the buildings surrounding the Square. Etc.

[2] From 2/21 Chron: Sen Jesse Helms (!) Article was headed, Helms apologizes for not joining AIDS fight sooner.

"I have been too lax too long in doing something really significant about AIDS", Helms told hundred of Christian AIDS activists gathered for a conference in Washington. "I'm not going to lay it aside on my agenda for the remaining months I have" in office.

What more can one say?
New (cough, cough) Kofi Annan that is. :)
[link|http://www.un.org/News/ossg/sg/index.shtml|Kofi Annan link.]
Alex

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." -- Neils Bohr (1885-1962)
New India and Pakistan.
Brandioch, you have a point, from a Western left-liberal point of view.

Keep in mind the result in '92: GHWB told Schwarzkopf to stop before our troops even fully eliminated the Iraqi army, much less threatened Baghdad. He did that because from a Western perspective it's reassuring; the U.S. didn't want an empire -- they're too f*ing expensive -- and that was a way of communicating to Western Europe that we weren't heading that way. It was supposed to have the same sort of influence on the surrounding Middle Eastern states.

What it morphed into almost immediately in the Middle East was "Gee, that Saddam must be some kind of great guy! Even the Americans don't want to mess with him!"

If what it's going to turn into is "give me money or I'll kill you", Bush & Co. will just go ::shrug:: at it. So will a lot of the people I hang out with. We're 'way better at it than they are, and we've got all those wonderful toys, and we know from the above example -- and dozens, maybe hundreds, of smaller ones -- that the only result of giving in is louder cries of "More! More!" Americans do not have a monopoly on greed and selfishness.

Yes, we've got a lot of people around the world who are living on $1 a day or less, sometimes a lot less. How many of those people are the equivalent of the Iraqis? Note that the northern Iraqi "Kurdistan" is healthy and prosperous, because we (the US, and the West in general) insisted that they get their share of the oil-for-food money directly, instead of being passed through Saddam Hussein for diversion to building toys instead. If we spent the same proportion on weapons as Iraq does, we'd have squadrons of M1A1s at every podunk armory and airplanes like swarms of bees. We don't. We spend a lot of money on luxuries, instead, and fund the weapons out of what is almost literally pocket change compared to the size of our economy.

Which is what doomed the Russians, and is gonna doom just about anybody else for the next couple decades (after that, no predictions -- too chaotic). You get an Iraqi or North Korean choice: spend the money on weapons, and you don't have anything for an economy back home. Meanwhile the US can double its expenditures in a heartbeat; for instance, if they convinced all the suburbanites to give up their SUVs for the military effort, like pots and pans in WWII.

In a lesser way, it happens closer to home. Mexico has more business jets than the US did before the explosion of "fractional ownership" early this year and its growth after 9/11 -- not more per capita, more in absolute terms. What we pay Mexico for what we buy there would make a nice, lower-middle-class income for just about everybody, but it doesn't get there. It goes to the caudillos and patrons, and the peons eat dirt. Most of the world outside Western Europe does it the same way.

The irony there is that your viewpoint was gaining strength pre 9/11. We were starting to talk about, and admit, some of the things that had been done over the years when we were contesting with the Soviet Union using proxies. Much of that was, in retrospect, pretty damn foul -- but a lot of the angst is rewriting of history by ignoring things that were in the forefront of people's minds at the time. Do you really think we'd even be discussing this sort of thing in a Stalinist Empire headquartered from Moscow? -- which is precisely what those folks were after, and if you don't believe it, go check out the files from the NKVD and KGB that recently became public.

Poor people around the world deserve our help, and part of that involves reducing our consumption. You ain't gonna find many of us willing to do it at gunpoint, when we're so damn good at pointing guns back. Right at the moment, nobody believes the US about "all WMD equal nukes, and all WMD get responded to equivalently." That may change in the near future.

Regards,
Ric
New Whatever.
Is that the same as reality?

Keep in mind the result in '92: GHWB told Schwarzkopf to stop before our troops even fully eliminated the Iraqi army, much less threatened Baghdad......
Fascinating. But meaningless in the current discussion.

It doesn't matter if the US wants an empire or not. Your original statement was that only a wealthy nation could build a nuke and that wealthy nations do not attack each other and don't build empires.

I showed that there were "poor" countries that have nuclear weapons (India and Pakistan). The reason they have these weapons is because the original technology is 57 years old. Can you tell me anything else that is 57 years old that Iraq or Iran couldn't build?

If what it's going to turn into is "give me money or I'll kill you", Bush & Co. will just go ::shrug:: at it.
Hmmm, I don't recall that the hijackers flying the planes into the WTC requested any money. Nor the guy driving the explosives into the USS Cole. Nor the suicide bombers in Israel. They just did it.

So will a lot of the people I hang out with.
I'm sure you and they will.

We're 'way better at it than they are, and we've got all those wonderful toys, and we know from the above example -- and dozens, maybe hundreds, of smaller ones -- that the only result of giving in is louder cries of "More! More!" Americans do not have a monopoly on greed and selfishness.
Again, I am not aware that ObL has made any monetary demands on the US. Perhaps you can point me to a link that supports your position?

Yes, we've got a lot of people around the world who are living on $1 a day or less, sometimes a lot less.
And if you get enough of them together, you'll have a tax base large enough to support The Manhatten Project (circa 2002+).

If we spent the same proportion on weapons as Iraq does, we'd have squadrons of M1A1s at every podunk armory and airplanes like swarms of bees. We don't. We spend a lot of money on luxuries, instead, and fund the weapons out of what is almost literally pocket change compared to the size of our economy.
Well, not exactly true. Military expenses are rather sizable in this country. But that doesn't matter anyway. How much does one nuke cost to build?

Which is what doomed the Russians, and is gonna doom just about anybody else for the next couple decades (after that, no predictions -- too chaotic).
The Russian economic model doomed the Russians. Central planning just isn't efficient enough. But, again, that doesn't matter. My point was that our next enemy won't even TRY to match us in conventional forces. Well, the next enemy that chooses us as a target. You get WAY more bang for your buck when you take out a US city with a nuke. Why spend massive (insert local currency unit) on building up conventional forces that you already KNOW will not be sufficient?

Recall my ORIGINAL statement about our nuclear policy regarding Russian tank columns moving through Germany?

We didn't even TRY to match them tank for tank. We put a token force there and we let them know that we'd nuke the German landscape just to deny it to the Russians.

So, ObL wakes up and realizes that martyrdom just isn't effective. So he takes a million or so and send lots of young martyrs to school. Just so they can soak up all the nuclear information available. Then, he funds basic research into duplicating The Manhattan Project. And delivers the result to NYC in an unmarked van.

See? No massive buildup of tanks by the Afghans or Iraqi or Iranians or anyone else. No huge defense budget for them.

You get an Iraqi or North Korean choice: spend the money on weapons, and you don't have anything for an economy back home. Meanwhile the US can double its expenditures in a heartbeat; for instance, if they convinced all the suburbanites to give up their SUVs for the military effort, like pots and pans in WWII.
Again, you've lost my original point. They already KNOW that the can't match us in conventional forces.

Just like we KNEW we couldn't match the Russians in conventional forces.

So the DO NOT USE CONVENTIONAL FORCES.

Just like our policy was to not use conventional forces.

They use NUKES instead.

Just like our policy was to use nukes, instead.

In a lesser way, it happens closer to home. Mexico has more business jets than the US did before the explosion of "fractional ownership" early this year and its growth after 9/11 -- not more per capita, more in absolute terms.
That would be important, if you were talking about nukes rather than jets.

What we pay Mexico for what we buy there would make a nice, lower-middle-class income for just about everybody, but it doesn't get there. It goes to the caudillos and patrons, and the peons eat dirt. Most of the world outside Western Europe does it the same way.
So, we're already funding their nuke research, they just haven't gotten around to using the money for nuke research. Is that what you're saying?

The irony there is that your viewpoint was gaining strength pre 9/11.
No, the irony is that you've lost my original position and are filling one in now.

We were starting to talk about, and admit, some of the things that had been done over the years when we were contesting with the Soviet Union using proxies.
Strange. I've been talking about it for years. Even in these forums.

Much of that was, in retrospect, pretty damn foul -- but a lot of the angst is rewriting of history by ignoring things that were in the forefront of people's minds at the time.
Again, nothing I haven't been saying for years.

Do you really think we'd even be discussing this sort of thing in a Stalinist Empire headquartered from Moscow?
Ah, the old "My Country, Love it or Leave it".

...which is precisely what those folks were after, and if you don't believe it, go check out the files from the NKVD and KGB that recently became public.
Ummm, you're going to have to be a little bit clearer on your verbage. When you say "which is precisely", what do you mean?

Poor people around the world deserve our help, and part of that involves reducing our consumption.
Actually, reducing our consumption will hurt the poor people. Take a look at the mid-east 100 years ago.

You ain't gonna find many of us willing to do it at gunpoint, when we're so damn good at pointing guns back.
Scenario, ObL builds a few nukes and takes out NYC, LA, and DC. So, what do you do?

You see, your gun-slinging, macho talk is only good when you face an enemy who isn't willing to die as long as he can take some infidels with him.

Which is the flaw in your position. When we faced the Russians, their leaders didn't want to lose their country to our nukes so they held off their nukes.

If ObL did that, whom would we retaliate against? How?
New Oh. Drift.

Is that the same as reality?

For small enough values of "reality".

What I was trying to address in the post you responded to was the "let's help the poor people" arguments. I didn't realize we'd reverted to your particular question, since the rest of the thread had drifted away from that.

Reversion--

>
I showed that there were "poor" countries that have nuclear weapons (India and Pakistan). The reason they have these weapons is because the original technology is 57 years old. Can you tell me anything else that is 57 years old that Iraq or Iran couldn't build?

Oh, OK, we're coming from that direction. Well enough. I got distracted by the version of the argument that basically says, "Well, let's pay them off." Which is what the "let's help the poor folks so they'll love us" notion basically comes to in the end.

Realistically, India isn't a "poor" country from my point of view. They do have an industrial infrastructure and a considerable amount of wealth... that they don't spread around much. Pakistan is a little below that, but recall that there are essentially two Pakistans -- an industrial one, rather small, centered around the capital, and a viciously poor hinterland. India and industrial Pakistan are what I'd call "medium wealth".

The only Muslim country other than Pakistan that I can see having the ability and the will to come up with nukes is Iran, and I don't think they will. Somebody posted the url for IRNA; I've been visiting sporadically. Interesting.

[snippage]
> Which is what doomed the Russians, and is gonna doom just about anybody else for the next couple decades (after that, no predictions -- too chaotic).
>The Russian economic model doomed the Russians. Central planning just isn't efficient enough. But, again, that doesn't matter. My point was that our next enemy won't even TRY to match us in conventional forces. Well, the next enemy that chooses us as a target. You get WAY more bang for your buck when you take out a US city with a nuke. Why spend massive (insert local currency unit) on building up conventional forces that you already KNOW will not be sufficient?
>
> Recall my ORIGINAL statement about our nuclear policy regarding Russian tank columns moving through Germany?
>
> We didn't even TRY to match them tank for tank. We put a token force there and we let them know that we'd nuke the German landscape just to deny it to the Russians.
>
> So, ObL wakes up and realizes that martyrdom just isn't effective. So he takes a million or so and send lots of young martyrs to school. Just so they can soak up all the nuclear information available. Then, he funds basic research into duplicating The Manhattan Project. And delivers the result to NYC in an unmarked van.
>
> See? No massive buildup of tanks by the Afghans or Iraqi or Iranians or anyone else. No huge defense budget for them.

Yeah, that's a nice paranoid scenario, all too possible. Probable? I don't think so. A million wouldn't do it, but of course that's irrelevant; he can probably scare up the cash, granted.

Where we disagree is on whether Osama [taken as an avatar for thousands of people with similar ideas] is likely to reach that conclusion.

[snippage]
>
We were starting to talk about, and admit, some of the things that had been done over the years when we were contesting with the Soviet Union using proxies.
Strange. I've been talking about it for years. Even in these forums.

Do you suppose these forums are all there are? Or even very notable?

I was talking about the general society, the jingoistic Joe Sixpack types. The issues were starting to be discussed around the coffee shops and redneck bars here -- pre 9/11.
[snip]
>
Do you really think we'd even be discussing this sort of thing in a Stalinist Empire headquartered from Moscow?
Ah, the old "My Country, Love it or Leave it".
>
>
...which is precisely what those folks were after, and if you don't believe it, go check out the files from the NKVD and KGB that recently became public.
Ummm, you're going to have to be a little bit clearer on your verbage. When you say "which is precisely", what do you mean?

Brandioch, this is an example of the kind of thing that gets people fuming at you. Are you being deliberately obtuse here? The subject of the second sentence, which I rather dramatically introduced with the double dash, is "Stalinist Empire".

Votes here, folks. How many other people had to separate the two sentences out that way, and thus lost the point?

And, actually, you missed the point of the first sentence... which was addressing the stuff we did in the Fifties and Sixties. Much of it was nasty. Much of it was necessary. The jury is still out on how much the two sets intersect.
>
>
Poor people around the world deserve our help, and part of that involves reducing our consumption.
Actually, reducing our consumption will hurt the poor people. Take a look at the mid-east 100 years ago.

Something I'm truly astonished to see that you realize.
>
>
>Scenario, ObL builds a few nukes and takes out NYC, LA, and DC. So, what do you do?
>
> You see, your gun-slinging, macho talk is only good when you face an enemy who isn't willing to die as long as he can take some infidels with him.
>
> Which is the flaw in your position. When we faced the Russians, their leaders didn't want to lose their country to our nukes so they held off their nukes.
>
> If ObL did that, whom would we retaliate against? How?

Hard question. I don't think there's an answer, or that one is needed -- I don't think the man (or his group) has the resources. Furthermore, I don't think they could deliver the goods.

And you miss the point of the "gunslinging macho" attitude, which is why you called my discussion of the end of Desert Storm irrelevant. It is relevant. How is left as an exercise for the student.

BUT to give an answer --

The result would be a spasm. Baghdad, Tehran (despite the fact that we shouldn't; if there's hope in the Middle East, it comes from Iran) and Damascus. Then tell the Sons of Ibn Saud, "bring us the people who did this, alive, for questioning." Two weeks later, Riyadh, while they're still expostulating on Al Jazeera about why they can't do it.

Not that I'm saying it would work, mind you. That is what I think would happen. I don't think it would be Mecca and Q'om, at least not on the first round.

We have no leverage on ObL himself; the only leverage we have is on the people who sponsor him, which is what the President has been saying from the beginning of this episode. What we have to do is work with the leverage we have. I hope the Sons of Ibn Saud have the same opinion of nuking the U.S., and what would happen afterward, that I do.

---
New Who, what, where?
Oh, OK, we're coming from that direction. Well enough. I got distracted by the version of the argument that basically says, "Well, let's pay them off."
Who said that? Where? Huh?

Which is what the "let's help the poor folks so they'll love us" notion basically comes to in the end.
Again, filters. Think back to Japan and German after WWII. Now look at them today.

Now, the WORST thing we can do is exactly what we're doing for oil now. Instead of helping them develop like we did with Germany and Japan, we're paying billions of dollars to tyrants. So, you have people with lots of money who have no reason to love us.

Very different from your statement about helping poor folks so they'll love us.

Realistically, India isn't a "poor" country from my point of view.
Whatever. Check their per capita against the European countries.

India and industrial Pakistan are what I'd call "medium wealth".
I thought Russia was "medium wealthy" to you? There's a HUGE difference between Russia and Pakistan.

Yeah, that's a nice paranoid scenario, all too possible. Probable? I don't think so. A million wouldn't do it, but of course that's irrelevant; he can probably scare up the cash, granted.

Where we disagree is on whether Osama [taken as an avatar for thousands of people with similar ideas] is likely to reach that conclusion.
A million would definately do it. It would get a hundred of his people into the schools they need to be in. They'd learn and come back to him.

I don't think ObL ever will do that. Simply because he's still fighting the old wars. He's caught up with the concept of individual martyrs.

Now, the NEXT one just might catch onto the fact that Allah's holy fire will cleanse the infidels.

But that doesn't matter either. Time is what matters. Eventually, ONE of them will figure it out.

We've got breathing room right now. We need to use it.

I was talking about the general society, the jingoistic Joe Sixpack types. The issues were starting to be discussed around the coffee shops and redneck bars here -- pre 9/11.
Whatever. I'm aware. People I know are aware. Then you have the Marlowes of the world.

Brandioch, this is an example of the kind of thing that gets people fuming at you. Are you being deliberately obtuse here? The subject of the second sentence, which I rather dramatically introduced with the double dash, is "Stalinist Empire".
Let me explain something to you. I don't give a fuck about your emotional state. As I've explained in the past, emotions aren't logical. Emotions are used to manipulate people. Read Stuart Chase. We're getting back into filters and such. The words I use trigger mental images in your mind and you react to those images. That is filtering.

Now, as for your "Stalinist Empire". Well, seeing as how we are not currently under such a regime.....

Also, given that it seems extremely unlikely that we will be under such a regime......

What was the point of your question?

Maybe you could answer how the situation would be different if Germany had won WWII?

And, actually, you missed the point of the first sentence... which was addressing the stuff we did in the Fifties and Sixties. Much of it was nasty. Much of it was necessary. The jury is still out on how much the two sets intersect.
Specifics?

Something I'm truly astonished to see that you realize.
Then you should pay more attention to what I'm saying rather than trying to filter it through your beliefs of what a "liberal" would think.

Hard question. I don't think there's an answer, or that one is needed -- I don't think the man (or his group) has the resources. Furthermore, I don't think they could deliver the goods.
That's where we differ. I think he has the money to acquire the knowledge and technology. If not him, then another like him. As for delivery, that's the easiest part of the equation. NYC by ship. LA, just like the illegal immigrants. DC would be by van with the bomb delivered through Mexico.

We have no leverage on ObL himself; the only leverage we have is on the people who sponsor him, which is what the President has been saying from the beginning of this episode. What we have to do is work with the leverage we have. I hope the Sons of Ibn Saud have the same opinion of nuking the U.S., and what would happen afterward, that I do.
Hmmm, you should read some of Marlowe's posts about how the average people over there hate us.

But the rest of your post is fairly accurate. We'd be nuking their capitals.

Now, do you understand my reference to gun-slinging?
New Ah, yes.
Most of this boils down to difference of opinion. We aren't going to agree on most of this.

Just a few points, rather peripheral.

A million would definately do it. It would get a hundred of his people into the schools they need to be in. They'd learn and come back to him.

A million would buy the knowledge, true. Of course, that's already been spent several times over; I worked for a Pakistani in college -- at a cyclotron facility. In 1967.

A million would not buy the facilities to make a bomb. I don't think a million would buy a bomb that was already built (e.g., one of the Russian ones) and I'm almost certain a million wouldn't buy a bomb that worked. Nuclear weapons require maintenance.

> I don't think ObL ever will do that. Simply because he's still fighting the old wars. He's caught up with the concept of individual martyrs.

Now, the NEXT one just might catch onto the fact that Allah's holy fire will cleanse the infidels.

But that doesn't matter either. Time is what matters. Eventually, ONE of them will figure it out.
>
> We've got breathing room right now. We need to use it.

Interesting thought with some truth in it -- I disagree, but agree that the point is arguable. So what do you suggest?

Whatever. I'm aware. People I know are aware. Then you have the Marlowes of the world.

Yep, and the people you know are all that count, right?

Until and unless issues start getting talked about in rural coffee shops and cowboy bars, and their equivalents in Iowa and Upper Michigan, nothing will get anywhere. Unless, of course, you insist that you and the rest of the nobility can make the decisions without input from the hoi polloi.

Let me explain something to you. I don't give a fuck about your emotional state. As I've explained in the past, emotions aren't logical. Emotions are used to manipulate people. Read Stuart Chase. We're getting back into filters and such. The words I use trigger mental images in your mind and you react to those images. That is filtering.

Now, as for your "Stalinist Empire". Well, seeing as how we are not currently under such a regime.....

No, emotions aren't logical. Neither is refusal, on your part, to attempt to deal with such rhetorical devices as digression and return, argument by example, and metaphor and simile. In this case your emotions betrayed you -- you saw a chance for a zingy one-liner against the jingoistic boob, leaped on it, and failed to notice that what attracted you was actually a setup for something quite different. (Technically what follows is a "digression". Normally one reads the digression, then sees if the author brings the subject back to the point, perhaps using the digression as an example or metaphor. You might try it once.)

We aren't currently subjected to a Stalinist Empire. Part of the reason for that is that for roughly forty-five years, we fought back against attempts to establish one. Those attempts included a few military adventures, but were more often what might be called "propaganda" and "proxy" conflicts. Some of the things we did in that effort don't look very nice in retrospect, BUT it's at least arguable that if we hadn't done those things the Stalinist Empire might have worked. To take an example: we flatly bullied Cuba into pushing the missiles out. I think the ensuing embargo can legitimately be argued against, though I'd be arguing in favor -- but are you prepared to argue that we should not have forced the missiles out?

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes all the choices are unpalatable. When that happens, we (or anyone) make the choice that seems least unpalatable -- the lesser of the evils. That's a judgement call. Second-guessing judgement calls, from the safety and comfort of fifty years and a warm house, is not only stupid, it's stupidly useless. George Bush (and I) propose a method for handling the situation on the ground now. You don't like it. That's your privilege. But what do you suggest?

Specifics?

Ah. OK, a few examples:

--We supported the French against Ho Chi Minh in the late Forties and early Fifties. That was arguably a mistake. How would you address Mr. Atcheson on the subject [contemporary references only, please]

--During the same time period, the Soviet Union had a sizeable and moderately successful propaganda effort going on in Iran, and the (avowed) Communist Party of Iran looked like winning the election. We stepped in and set up the Pah-Levi Dynasty as rulers of Iran. Arguably this was an error. What would have been the effect of having Iran as the southernmost Republic of the Soviet Union? Can you suggest another method of preventing that?

--Most of the current borders in the Middle East, and the rulers of the "nations" thereof, were set up by the British after WWII; all we did is rubber-stamp the notions. What would a more sensible setup have looked like? How would you have argued with Mr. Churchill over it? When the British were disengaging, what could we have done to change things for the better? What is the definition of "better" in that sentence?

--Again to the British: When India was partitioned into "India" and "Pakistan", were those the correct boundaries?

--Oil was discovered in the Middle East in the Twenties and Thirties, between the world wars. British (BP) and American (Amoco) oil companies were involved, as well as European ones (Shell). The oil fields are incredibly rich, and the oil is easy to extract and refine. Suggest a set of arguments that would have made sense to my father for not exploiting that resource [my father was a Sergeant in WWII, in the Pacific theater]. You may not use the word "nuclear" unless you have a complete and definitive solution to the waste problem.

--And of course I could fill two or three posts with variants on the Israeli question.

That's where we differ. I think he has the money to acquire the knowledge and technology. If not him, then another like him. As for delivery, that's the easiest part of the equation. NYC by ship. LA, just like the illegal immigrants. DC would be by van with the bomb delivered through Mexico.

Nobody needs to "acquire" the knowledge -- it's general science; that genie is well and truly out of the bottle. Note Clancy's afterword to The Sum of All Fears; he obfuscated the technology, "to salve [his] conscience, not in any reasonable expectation that it matters a damn."

The technology is and will remain harder. Contrary to some belief, nuclear weapons are not made in garages, and won't be for the near future. It is possible to foresee a future of computer-powered machine tools and Star-Trek "replicators", in which nuclear weapons are readily available. That future is not now. What is, now, is the remnants of the Soviet Union stinking and leaking radiation over a quarter of the world.

Illegal immigrants tend strongly to cross the border with what they can carry and little more, and die of it; you should meet some. Smuggling, especially of good-sized objects, is harder than it looks. I'm actually less worried about smuggled nukes than I am about North Korean missiles. Do you ever do any international shipping?

Hmmm, you should read some of Marlowe's posts about how the average people over there hate us.

I do. He gets it both right and wrong sometimes; what else?

Where you and I differ, I think, is that I come from a culture where religious motivations were and are important. I don't think you do; I think you interpret the whole thing in economic and "liberation" terms, and I think you make a very, very serious fundamental mistake in doing so. ObL and a few of the other more sophisticated Islamists use those terms in talking to the West, but when speaking to their own people the rhetoric is quite different -- and many of the less sophisticated ones don't bother, or don't know how, to obfuscate the issue on those terms. The clerics leading the charges are not making economic arguments, and are not interested in liberating their people -- quite the contrary, and they make that explicit; do you know what the word "Islam" means?

You and Ashton are so focused on the [oil], and your leftist interpretation of the oil issue in terms of oppressed peoples of the world, that you seem sometimes not even to have the concepts for what I'm talking about. The oil is secondary. We -- the United States -- could do without the oil without missing it much. Leftist concepts of "oppression", "liberation", "capitalist hegemony", etc. are irrelevant. The Taliban took a country that was about as oppressed by world capitalism as a country could be -- and smashed what little was available to the people, doing their best to return them to the brutality and ignorance of twelfth-century life. And don't go all Rousseauvian on me. I'm not impressed by safe, warm, well-fed intellectuals rhapsodizing on the Nobility of infanticide, lice, and starvation.

> But the rest of your post is fairly accurate. We'd be nuking their capitals.
>
> Now, do you understand my reference to gun-slinging?

Oh, I understood well enough from the beginning. I simply think you're looking at it from too simplistic a perspective, as well has having Leftist concepts so firmly embedded that you can't think clearly on the subject. George Bush, Texas Cowboy, shooting from the hip because he can't think of a way to handle the subject sensibly, just fits really nicely with your preconceptions, doesn't it? Therefore Louis L'Amour metaphors. It Ain't That SimpleTM
Regards,
Ric
New Step #1. Knowledge.
A million would not buy the facilities to make a bomb. I don't think a million would buy a bomb that was already built (e.g., one of the Russian ones) and I'm almost certain a million wouldn't buy a bomb that worked. Nuclear weapons require maintenance.
Actually, a million probably WOULD get you a working bomb. But moving it and such would be the problem. And you wouldn't know if it WAS a working bomb until you tried it.

So, step #1. Acquire the knowledge required to build and maintain nukes. Even old style (1945) nukes.

And a million would get you that knowledge.

Then you have the experts who could tell if the bomb you're buying will work or not.

Yep, and the people you know are all that count, right?
Awareness of these issues will NOT start by congratulating yourself on bombing a 3rd rate dictatorship out of office. Or pretending that it's all right now that those bad men are dead.

Until and unless issues start getting talked about in rural coffee shops and cowboy bars, and their equivalents in Iowa and Upper Michigan, nothing will get anywhere.
Not true. All it takes is for the leaders to change their strategy. Like I said, manipulation is easy.

Unless, of course, you insist that you and the rest of the nobility can make the decisions without input from the hoi polloi.
Prior to the attack, how many of the "hoi polloi" could have located Afghanistan on a globe (unmarked)? How many of them could have identified ObL? Or his organization? Or ANYTHING about the current situtation? Even to the point of identifying the Taliban as the government of Afghanistan?

And that's just ONE example.

How many of them know what the goverment of Uzbekistan is?
Or that Pakistan has fundamentalist Islamics in its government?

You've seen how fucked up Marlowe's "facts" are regarding US history, even!

No, emotions aren't logical. Neither is refusal, on your part, to attempt to deal with such rhetorical devices as digression and return, argument by example, and metaphor and simile.
Also known as "going off on a tanget" and "rhetorical questions".

You have an example, metaphor or similie, present it. If you ask whether we'd be discussing this under a Stalinistic government, that's bullshit.

In this case your emotions betrayed you -- you saw a chance for a zingy one-liner against the jingoistic boob, leaped on it, and failed to notice that what attracted you was actually a setup for something quite different.
Really? Then feel free to correct me and proceed with your position.

To take an example: we flatly bullied Cuba into pushing the missiles out.
That was a DIRECT threat to our soil. None of the others were.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes all the choices are unpalatable.
That depends upon your definition of "unpalatable". Letting some country work out its own system of government (as we did in our's) doesn't seem "unpalatable" to me.

When that happens, we (or anyone) make the choice that seems least unpalatable -- the lesser of the evils.
Actually, what we seem to choose is whatever will advance our economic interests. Regarless of the cost in human lives or suffering (as long as they're not US citizens).

Second-guessing judgement calls, from the safety and comfort of fifty years and a warm house, is not only stupid, it's stupidly useless.
As long as you're warm and "safe", it doesn't matter how many people die how horribly in other countries. Just don't stop the oil.

George Bush (and I) propose a method for handling the situation on the ground now.
Simple, cutting off our funding of their regimes. Cutting off our oil imports. Cutting off our weapon sales to them. etc.

How would you address Mr. Atcheson on the subject [contemporary references only, please]
The simple answer, not contemporary for you, would be to not support the French on that. Don't get involved.

What would have been the effect of having Iran as the southernmost Republic of the Soviet Union? Can you suggest another method of preventing that?
Why do you insist on preventing that? What would it have mattered if they did?

What would a more sensible setup have looked like?
Again, why get involved? Why do >WE< have to determine what the border of a country is?

--Again to the British: When India was partitioned into "India" and "Pakistan", were those the correct boundaries?
Again, why do you presume it is up to us to determine the borders? Why ;can you not let the citizens over there decide upon their borders?

Suggest a set of arguments that would have made sense to my father for not exploiting that resource [my father was a Sergeant in WWII, in the Pacific theater]. You may not use the word "nuclear" unless you have a complete and definitive solution to the waste problem.
Simple, we trade with the country that has the resources we want UNTIL we have evidence that they are a totalitarian regime or that their view of human rights does not match our's. Then we stop.

Nobody needs to "acquire" the knowledge -- it's general science; that genie is well and truly out of the bottle.
No. The knowledge that it happens is general science. The specifics on how to make a bomb out of it is not. That is the knowledge that is needed.

The technology is and will remain harder.
Really? And can you tell me WHY this is so for that specific technology and not so for all other technologies?

In other words, what else did we build in 1945 that cannot be built today by just about any country or organization willing to do so?

Illegal immigrants tend strongly to cross the border with what they can carry and little more, and die of it; you should meet some.
I have. I spent some time in California. I could ask you what the mortality rate you believe is. But that would be going off on a tanget. Suffice to say that there are thousands of illegals in California.

Smuggling, especially of good-sized objects, is harder than it looks.
It would fit in a van. Smuggling isn't that hard. Like I said, thousands of illegals are in California.

I'm actually less worried about smuggled nukes than I am about North Korean missiles. Do you ever do any international shipping?
Yes I do. Missles deliver themselves. Do they have ICBM's?

Where you and I differ, I think, is that I come from a culture where religious motivations were and are important. I don't think you do; I think you interpret the whole thing in economic and "liberation" terms, and I think you make a very, very serious fundamental mistake in doing so.
What are you talking about?

I recognize ObL's religious beliefs and I understand what he can do based upon those.

What are >YOU< talking about?

The clerics leading the charges are not making economic arguments, and are not interested in liberating their people -- quite the contrary, and they make that explicit; do you know what the word "Islam" means?
"submission". specifically, submission to the Will of God.

Which is why I believe that, one day, one of them will realize that Allah's Holy Fire will cleanse the world of the inifidels.

That is why we have to deal with that situation NOW.

You and Ashton are so focused on the [oil], and your leftist interpretation of the oil issue in terms of oppressed peoples of the world, that you seem sometimes not even to have the concepts for what I'm talking about.
The oil is what they sell to raise the money.

oil == money

Money is what they use to buy weapons and training and transportation and airplane tickets.

Money is what they will use to pay for the training and the equipment to outfit themselves with nukes.

Using the transitive property....

(the sale of) oil == nuclear martyrs.

The oil is secondary.
Without the oil, would ObL have the money he does? Without the money, would they have been able to pay for pilot training and airline tickets?

We -- the United States -- could do without the oil without missing it much.
Then, for our own national security, we should.

Leftist concepts of "oppression", "liberation", "capitalist hegemony", etc. are irrelevant.
Leftist concepts such as "a 40 kiloton nuke just went off in NYC" is relevant.

The Taliban took a country that was about as oppressed by world capitalism as a country could be -- and smashed what little was available to the people, doing their best to return them to the brutality and ignorance of twelfth-century life.
Do a google search on "taliban oil pipeline deal". Whatever the Taliban did, they did with the seeming approval of the US. Fuck! They were even meeting us in TEXAS to discuss the deals. IN 19-FUCKING-97!

We knew what their religion was, we knew how they treated women, we knew EVEEERYTHING.

But we didn't >CARE<.

And don't go all Rousseauvian on me. I'm not impressed by safe, warm, well-fed intellectuals rhapsodizing on the Nobility of infanticide, lice, and starvation.
Cool. And I'm sure you'll point it out IF I EVER FUCKING DO THAT! Right?

Oh, I understood well enough from the beginning. I simply think you're looking at it from too simplistic a perspective, as well has having Leftist concepts so firmly embedded that you can't think clearly on the subject.
Really? What part haven't I been clear on?

#1. The fact that nuclear weapons technology is 57 years old?

#2. The fact that we're in the habit of paying fundamentalist fanatics (as long as their in the government and will sell us the fuels).

#3. That, given #1 & #2, there will EVENTUALLY be a fanatic with a nuke?

George Bush, Texas Cowboy, shooting from the hip because he can't think of a way to handle the subject sensibly, just fits really nicely with your preconceptions, doesn't it?
It's called "insight".

#1. The "war" was to "get" ObL.

#2. We didn't give our evidence to the Taliban. We went right in to get him.

#3. We fucked up so badly that he got away.

#4. Not being able to admit that we fucked up, we re-phrased the "war" to "liberate" Afghanistan from the "evil" Taliban.

Even though members of the "evil" Taliban were meeting our people in Texax in 1997 to discussion pipeline deals.

#5. And no mention is made of ObL now. It's all photo ops of happy Afghans.

Which supports my position that the US will trade with ANYONE doing ANYTHING to ANYONE (as long as it's not a US citizen) so long as we get the fuels we want.

Now, how "moral" does that sound to you?

I don't know where you get your viewpoint from, but to me, that EXACTLY matches my description of gun-slinger politics.

Like it or not, the characterization is accurate.
New So simple.
Wrong, n. == The United States of America did it.
Wrong, v.t. == What the United States does to people.
Wrong, v.i. == What the United States does.

Nice to deal in such simplicity, isn't it?
Regards,
Ric
New It's very simple to refute me.
Wrong, n. == The United States of America did it.
Wrong, v.t. == What the United States does to people.
Wrong, v.i. == What the United States does.

Nice to deal in such simplicity, isn't it?
Well, it does seem to save YOU the trouble of reasoning.

Or is there any facts that I've presented that you can refute?

I didn't think so.

We were wining and dining members of the "evil" Taliban in Texax in 1997.

We knew how they treated their people.

We just didn't care.

As long as we're getting what we want.

Of course, >YOU< can refute me.

Just present ANY bit of evidence that >YOU< were opposed to the Taliban in 1997.

Yet you're celebrating TODAY that they've been defeated.

And you're claiming that the people in the red neck bars are important.

Dude, in 1997, you didn't even KNOW who/what/where the Taliban was.

Hell, you didn't even know right up until September, 2001.

Then you're all too eager to believe that they are some terrible threat to the US.

You're a prime example of why those idiots in the red neck bars do NOT matter. You'll believe whatever propaganda is fed to you.

You won't even THINK about the history or ANY of our previous dealings with them.

You exist only in the moment.

That does tend to yield a specific type of moral certainty.

Nothing we've done to them or supported them in in the PAST has any meaning.

The US exists in a closed bubble of non-effect.

Things just sort of happen to us.

Because the people who do the bad things are bad people.

So, explain to me why, when a bunch of SAUDI fanatics hijack planes and crash them into the WTC at the command of a SAUDI millionaire are we bombing a bunch of AFGHAN civilians?

At which point your filters start to kick in and NONE of that makes any sense to you. It's simply to alien for your mode of "thought".

So you retreat into a non-fact space.

Anyone who disagrees with you >MUST< think that anything the US does is "wrong".

There, that's all sorted out. Now you can shut your brain down and start voting Republican again.

Don't think about the scary stuff. Don't think that in another 43 years (I'll still be alive), nuclear weapon technology will be 100 years old. It will still, somehow, someway, be too difficult for any terrorist to make one. Somehow. Despite the trend in EVERY other technology.

It just won't happen so we don't have to think about it.

Make the scary lunatic shut up, mommy.
     Thinking the unthinkable - (marlowe) - (38)
         If you've got the weapons . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
             Tactical Nukes - (nking) - (5)
                 Not as effective as might be hoped. - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                     You mean old-old tech - (nking) - (3)
                         Sort of - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                             Armor? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 What it says . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Yes, ' plan' is not the deed. More is implicit. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Uh, Ash, think about it a bit more. - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                     "Disinformation, Age of" - see under "Current Events" - (Ashton)
             Re: As usual - balanced well reasoned logic ... - (dmarker2) - (1)
                 Bush 2 imitates Reagan? - (wharris2)
         Not so unthinkable - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             Iran on the enemy list - (wharris2)
         Ummm, this has been our doctrine..... - (Brandioch) - (23)
             Strategic Doctrine - (Ric Locke) - (22)
                 20 years is the limit of my personal experience. - (Brandioch) - (20)
                     Re: 20 years is the limit of my personal experience. - (Ric Locke) - (19)
                         Not that thinking. - (Brandioch) - (18)
                             What was the Clancy novel? - (wharris2) - (1)
                                 Red Storm - (dlevitt)
                             Re: Not that thinking. - (Ric Locke) - (15)
                                 India and Pakistan. - (Brandioch) - (14)
                                     Agreed - down to the root issues - - (Ashton) - (5)
                                         Ashton, you said it. - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                             If there were a simpler explanation - (Ashton)
                                         Aston..I must disagree... - (Simon_Jester)
                                         Koki Annann on Charlie Rose, last night - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             (cough, cough) Kofi Annan that is. :) - (a6l6e6x)
                                     India and Pakistan. - (Ric Locke) - (7)
                                         Whatever. - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                             Oh. Drift. - (Ric Locke) - (5)
                                                 Who, what, where? - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                     Ah, yes. - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                                                         Step #1. Knowledge. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                             So simple. - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                                                 It's very simple to refute me. - (Brandioch)
                 Well-enough put, but only part of the scenario IMhO - (Ashton)

*THAT'S WHAT HE MEANT!!!*
358 ms