IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No I haven't
I know what you're saying about how things are arranged in Europe vs. the U.S. suburban model, and I actually would prefer the European model. But most of the U.S. isn't arranged that way.

Maybe cities are more like that than the suburbs are, but I've been through some bad neighborhoods in Cleveland: Hough (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hough_Riots), East Cleveland, South Euclid. I've talked to people who live there, and talk about the "black tax". Like so many other supposedly black issues, it's actually a "poor tax". It's just that those two demographics have a pretty significant overlap.

In those neighborhoods, choice is much more limited, and typically more expensive.
--

Drew
New Likely combination of good and bad
Been in those areas, and some in NYC where its true that the local choices are pretty dry. There aren't that many places in Philly/Camden like that. There is also that disconnect between the reality of where you live and the expectation. We in the US did a fine job of building up the "big store" mentality, get everybody hooked and then watch it implode with the industry base in most places. East St Louis also comes to mind here.

I've seen, however, those in exactly the same plight to exactly what we're being told can't at the same price or less. I've seen it done and done it myself at various points in time. Part of it could very well be that I have both experiences, that of the suburban "big trip" and that of the "get it on your way home" inner city/european model. I, like you, like the second way better...and living in a city like Philly and even camden, this is possible to do. Also possible in most areas of NYC. Its actually how I did it even when living in suburban NJ and working downtown...and I had a grocery store across the street. I had a place for meat, a place for vegetables, all at prices better than the grocery (and higher quality) and I didn't have anything go bad in the fridge.

Its not more expensive. You just have to know what your doing and where. That takes local knowledge >and< flexibility..maybe when you add up the time it takes a little more..but that time is made up for in the fact that you are reducing spoilage.

So, as with everything else in reality, there's probably truth on both sides of this discussion.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New I've always said Philly is different
You can be in a relatively nice part of the city, make a wrong turn and two blocks later you're thinking, "Holy shit, I need to get out of here." There are bad neighborhoods in every city, but usually you see them coming.

My experience of Philly is probably colored by the fact that some really bad areas were gentrifying when I was going there after work. (Late 80s.)

There are ares in Cleveland that are trying to gentrify, like Ohio City / Tremont. My wife and I would both like to live there, but wouldn't want to raise the kids there.
--

Drew
     patient dumping in the news - (boxley) - (81)
         patient dumping was in Michael Moore's "Sicko" - (lincoln) - (80)
             correct but look who was in charge of this batch -NT - (boxley) - (79)
                 the University of Chicago Medical Center -NT - (lincoln) - (78)
                     try michelle obama :-) -NT - (boxley) - (77)
                         Re: try michelle obama :-) - (lincoln) - (76)
                             yeah right....drink the koolaid - (boxley) - (75)
                                 you're avoiding reality. - (lincoln) - (74)
                                     Jury may be out on who, exactly, is deranged. -NT - (beepster)
                                     a fact may or may not bite me in the ass but you? - (boxley) - (9)
                                         So, if I understand Boxlish logic ... - (lincoln) - (8)
                                             lets try lthe lincoln way - (boxley) - (7)
                                                 FAIL! - (lincoln) - (6)
                                                     not my inuendo, a chitown democrat is leading the charge -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                         Again, how convenient - (crazy) - (1)
                                                             how very bushite of you, trig is palins grandson? etc etc - (boxley)
                                                         BULL**** RE: Post #14829 - (lincoln) - (2)
                                                             dont care about obama one way or the other - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 slinging more BS I see - (lincoln)
                                     Oh, and lets look at a couple examples of facts - (beepster) - (62)
                                         blame his problems on the vast right wing conspiracy - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Nah, - (beepster) - (1)
                                                 At least you can see the truth! -NT - (folkert)
                                         Can I ask a question? - (drook) - (58)
                                             no because they have to pay the ones that want to be rich -NT - (boxley)
                                             Can I ask you a question? - (beepster) - (56)
                                                 So... - (jake123) - (9)
                                                     go to Toronto down town when its crowded - (boxley) - (8)
                                                         More words please - (drook) - (7)
                                                             okay - (boxley) - (6)
                                                                 Doesn't that *confirm* his point? -NT - (drook) - (5)
                                                                     huh? - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                         Oh - (drook) - (3)
                                                                             you have never done business north of the border - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                 Hey, we like to drive a hard bargooon up here, ya know? - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                                     Are you dissing the Vulture Capitalist Creed? -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 Which is more important, innovation or sales? - (drook) - (45)
                                                     What is it that we sell? - (beepster) - (44)
                                                         So your proposal is? - (drook) - (43)
                                                             They'll build companies - (beepster) - (42)
                                                                 Companies without customers - (drook) - (41)
                                                                     Re: Companies without customers - (beepster) - (40)
                                                                         Re: Companies without customers - (drook) - (5)
                                                                             google, decades? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                 Google *not* founded within last several decades? News to me -NT - (drook)
                                                                             depends on what you want to win - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                 Sophistry Award: 3 tarnished-'gold' Stars, pewter epaulets -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                     Re: Sophistry Award dont want it, doesnt apply - (boxley)
                                                                         And another thing ... - (drook) - (33)
                                                                             So... - (beepster) - (32)
                                                                                 False polarization - (drook) - (31)
                                                                                     Incentives? - (beepster)
                                                                                     so we already got tax breaks for the bottom 40% - (boxley) - (29)
                                                                                         You're ignoring FICA/Medicare, of course. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                                                             Not so much recently - (beepster)
                                                                                             thats insurance not a tax as a lot of people on it tell me -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                         Sure they do - (crazy) - (25)
                                                                                             Not the case everywhere. - (beepster) - (24)
                                                                                                 How convenient - (crazy) - (23)
                                                                                                     do they take food stamps? :-) I may need to pick up smokes -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                                     west philly, downtown camden, south philly around washington - (beepster) - (21)
                                                                                                         and the "make it healthy" qualification - (beepster)
                                                                                                         You've only just begun - (crazy) - (19)
                                                                                                             let them run on the streets like everyone else does -NT - (boxley) - (18)
                                                                                                                 See, you know - (crazy) - (17)
                                                                                                                     try google maps - (boxley) - (16)
                                                                                                                         Seriously? - (drook) - (15)
                                                                                                                             rotate the street view to eastpoint pd - (boxley) - (14)
                                                                                                                                 Where's eastpoint? - (drook) - (13)
                                                                                                                                     Re: Where's eastpoint? - (boxley) - (12)
                                                                                                                                         That is so awesome - (drook) - (11)
                                                                                                                                             still trying to get the hang of google maps :-) -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                                                                                                                                                 Ummm yeah... OK. - (folkert) - (9)
                                                                                                                                                     Actually is a very good store - (beepster) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         The point - (crazy) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                             your equation is missing a few things - (boxley)
                                                                                                                                                             Considering - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                                 Remember what this was about - (drook) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                                     you've never lived in europe, have you - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                         No I haven't - (drook) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                             Likely combination of good and bad - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                 I've always said Philly is different - (drook)

¡Despierte, Estupido-idiota!
108 ms