IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let me make sure I understand you correctly
You're saying that because Hugo Chavez says George Bush smells bad we should go to war with him? Can you cite the last time in living memory that a bad smell in the room—or an imputation of supernatural association with the infernal powers—was accepted as a proper casus belli? You can't?

I didn't think so.

yours with deepest affection,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Yes you did understand me correctly
Do you realize what he said? Do you understand what "Devil" means? This was not a journalist writing an article. This was one country speaking about another. As a private citizen, Mr. Chavez is entitled to his opinion about our president.. As the head of a government, he speaks for his country. When _he_ speaks of US president, he speaks of US. All good people on Earth are at war with the Devil. Venezuela is at war with United States.

Well, this attitude is about 150 years out of style. I understand that. But, initially it went out of style because no one dared tospeak like that. Then, recently, it was out of style because every bigmouth cannibal dictator was protected by the Soviet nuclear umbrella. It still stays out of style because, frankly, nom one much cares what Venezuelan Government thinks of the United States.

None of those reasons are the merit of Mr Chavez.

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

New The US is going to lose its influence in SA
because it has shown the limits of its power, and because it's (deeply and authoritatively) shown the limits of its moral leadership.

South Americans have known about the latter for a long time, of course.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New No, actually I didn't
You say, for example, "All good people on Earth are at war with the Devil." That's so...deluded in so many ways. All? Good? Why, my dear little Ark, I am near-universally celebrated as a person, as an earthling, and as one of the best and kindest embodiments of pure goodness ever to stalk this filthy pellet of muck we are pleased to call home, and I'm not at war with the devil. Never have been, never will be. You might as well proclaim that we should all dedicate ourselves to struggle with the Tooth Fairy. It would win you a little more credibility. And as to "every bigmouth cannibal dictator" being "protected by the Soviet nuclear umbrella," you really ought to cast your net a bit wider, and learn about some of the US of A's clients and satraps these latter decades.

You are a very silly person.

with scarcely-containable manly affection,
New I guess you did not...
"Devil" can mean many things, indeed. Do you think Chavez meant the cunning, slightly stupid, mostly harmless thing that Russians call "chert"? Or the noble Devil of Bulgakov? Or the guys who fart at sinners in Dante's Hell?

No, I think he meant the exact thing he said, the thing you and a lot of other people say all the time: the US president is evil incarnate, obsessed with power, black with pride, happy to torture innocents everywhere for his rotten idea of fun. My point was, that's not something that one country has a right to say to another, not unless they expect to bomb and to get bombed tomorrow.

------

--

New Your point was...
he meant the exact thing he said, the thing you and a lot of other people say all the time: the US president is evil incarnate, obsessed with power, black with pride, happy to torture innocents everywhere for his rotten idea of fun. My point was, that's not something that one country has a right to say to another, not unless they expect to bomb and to get bombed tomorrow
And my point is that you have roughly paraphrased the conclusion that any decent human being, or even any head of state, might be forgiven for reaching after almost six years observing George Doubleyew Fucking Bush in power.

Is it then unforgivable to speak truth to power?

less-than cordially,
New It is unforgivable to speak truth in diplomacy
Like I said, bomb and be bombed.

You can still pretend you don't understand me. But I can't pretend that I believe you.

------

--

New Then I can't forgive you for not pretending
Bombers en route. Take shelter.
New Chavez has nothing to worry about from the US.
The only slightly similar situation I can recall is what happened with Noriega in Panama. There's nothing in the [link|http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/just_cause.htm|Operation Just Cause] timeline that yet matches what's going on in Venezuela.

When Chavez declares war on the US and US personnel are killed, then Chavez will have something to worry about.

I think you're misunderstanding Chavez. He isn't interested in diplomacy with the US. He's interested in being seen as someone who stands up to the US - for domestic and foreign attention.

The US isn't going to attack him because he calls George names. That type of reaction in international relations went out several decades ago.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Scratching head....
we're we used to be called [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Satan|The Great Satan]

Hell, I think we've been demoted to a mere devil. Shrug.
     The Exorcist - (rcareaga) - (31)
         We all know Shrub is the Anti-Christ. - (imqwerky)
         This kind of talk used to cause wars - (Arkadiy) - (26)
             You really don't understand - (jake123) - (1)
                 And you don't understand - (Arkadiy)
             Let me make sure I understand you correctly - (rcareaga) - (9)
                 Yes you did understand me correctly - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                     The US is going to lose its influence in SA - (jake123)
                     No, actually I didn't - (rcareaga) - (5)
                         I guess you did not... - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                             Your point was... - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                 It is unforgivable to speak truth in diplomacy - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                     Then I can't forgive you for not pretending - (rcareaga)
                                     Chavez has nothing to worry about from the US. - (Another Scott)
                     Scratching head.... - (Simon_Jester)
             And backing coup attempts isn't? - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                 Coup attempts... moi?? - (Ashton)
                 Well, Mr. Chavez would be very happy to - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                     Oh, I don't know - (jake123) - (2)
                         Re: Oh, I don't know - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             Now, I know you're kidding. - (mmoffitt)
             Ah, you mean talk like... 'Axis of Evil' / 'Evil Empire' - (Ashton) - (7)
                 that is the correct function call - (boxley) - (1)
                     Salon puts the matter into a bit more detail - (Ashton)
                 Axis of Evil... - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                     Just.. War as an extension of politics, then, eh? - (Ashton) - (3)
                         All I was saying, - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                             No mercy, but plenty of cash - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 They were already planning it - (drewk)
         Just curious, how much time did you spend to get the second - (boxley) - (1)
             half a minute, tops - (rcareaga)
         IreadLRPD (new thread) - (lincoln)

Where's my tinfoil hat...?
370 ms