IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And now, from the "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"...
Just finished installing a 1GB memory module in my Althon system and moved the old 512MB module to her system, since she was running W2K on only 256MB. I have discovered that OS/2 won't boot. Both the XP and Mandrake partitions boot, but not OS/2.

I remember that OS/2 once had a problem with larger amounts of memory, but I thought eCS 1.0 had the fix in it. Apparently not. The one "Good Thing" is that the latest eCS demo CD will boot, but I'm not quite ready to sink $159 into solving the problem if I don't have to.

I've tried running Daniela's OS2LDR patch, but that's not helping. I've got a sneaky suspicion I need a kernel update, but since I don't have access to any of those updates, it looks like I'm SOL.

If my OS/2 hooks weren't so deep, I'd be royally pissed, but I can work around this for now. I've got a couple of 256MB modules from another system that I can use in the meantime, but I'm still not too happy.

Any of our few remaining OS/2 gurus got another suggestion? I don't DARE to try and take the 512MB module back from her. I could lose a limb in the process.
New You need a kernel update
there are many places (esp. Australia, I hear) where they can be had.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Thought so.
Looks like I'm hosed for now.

Still searching for a free alternative.....
New Found newer kernel. Didn't help.
Found a kernel on an Australian site (thanks, Jack), but doesn't seem to solve the issue. New kernel is .104_W4, but still can't boot all the way. Seems to be hanging right before the display driver loads.

Very weird.....
New dont know squat about OS2 but video cmos settings?
making sure no higher memory is being used by the video bios. Usually in the old days I would downgrade everything possible then stuff would load enuff to tweak. Again, I never successfully got OS2 to load.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Good point. It might be a "video aperture" issue.
IIRC, Matrox put some video memory between 512 MB and 1 GB. Maybe something like that is involved.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not likely.
This has symptoms of the known >512MB memory issue I've seen mentioned.

Besides, if it was a CMOS setting, I'd expect the eCS 1.2 demo CD to have an issue booting and it does not.

Still searching.....
New Been at this many years.
I've installed OS/2 on many a system over the years. There's always a hitch from time to time, but usually the solution is found.

A temporary setback only. Still searching.....
New Did you try the boot time option . . .
. . to set back to VGA mode? If that works then you could try reinstalling whatever driver you're using (SciTech Snap?).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New That's next. Was saving it as a last resort.
And, yes, I'm using Snap for OS/2.
New thats what I was thinking of, vga mode for recalterant video
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Have you seen this thread?
[link|http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.os2.setup.misc/browse_thread/thread/1fae81784eba02e3/82661a9d97beffba?q=512MB+OS%2F2+boot&|Here]:

But how does one go about installing OS/2 on a ThinkPad T42p? The machine has more than 512 MB of memory, therefore one cannot install directly from the CD. One must first make three installation diskettes, change a couple of files to include fixes for machines with more than 512 MB of memory, and boot from floppy. But the T42p doesn't have a floppy drive. Now, it does have a USB floppy drive, however, so by adding USB support to diskette 1, according the instructions given in the USB packages, one would think that it would work. But just after it loads the IBM1S506.ADD driver, OS/2 complains that it can't operate the hard disk or diskette.

Trevor says that OS/2 will boot on some ThinkPads from a USB floppy, FWIW.

Anyway, perhaps you can find whatever needs to be changed on the 3 floppies that Dave mentioned. You probably have a better idea of what you need than I do...

I've got ECS 1.1 that I've never used, and a May 2003 edition of the [link|http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/doc/wupdkit.htm|Warp Update Kit]. Would either solve your problem?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting thread, but I don't think it applies to me.
In my case, I have a working OS/2 / eCS 1.0 install, as long as I don't try to install over 512MB in the system. Once I do that, it won't boot completely.

As for the eCS 1.1 and the Warp Update Kit, no way to know unless I try them. ;-)
Expand Edited by n3jja Jan. 16, 2006, 10:25:04 PM EST
New SOAB....
After resetting the video driver back to the default, I can now boot all the way. However, any attempt to reload Snap for OS/2 3.1.1 results in the inability to completely boot the system as before.

Well, I've got my 1280 by 1024 display resolution back, and at 65,536 colors, but scrolling with the wheel mouse is a bit stuttered.

I can live with it for now. Probably should file a bug report with SciTech.
New Woot! Glad you figured it out.
New We have a Winnahh!!!
Found the issue. Had to turn off the VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT line in config.sys per [link|http://www.scitechsoft.com/support/faq/fom-serve/cache/33.html|this ] FAQ item.

Everything's back to normal, including my DOS sessions, which I had noticed had stopped working a few weeks ago.

YAHOO!!!!
     And now, from the "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"... - (n3jja) - (15)
         You need a kernel update - (jake123) - (9)
             Thought so. - (n3jja) - (8)
                 Found newer kernel. Didn't help. - (n3jja) - (7)
                     dont know squat about OS2 but video cmos settings? - (boxley) - (3)
                         Good point. It might be a "video aperture" issue. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Not likely. - (n3jja)
                         Been at this many years. - (n3jja)
                     Did you try the boot time option . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         That's next. Was saving it as a last resort. - (n3jja)
                         thats what I was thinking of, vga mode for recalterant video -NT - (boxley)
         Have you seen this thread? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Interesting thread, but I don't think it applies to me. - (n3jja)
         SOAB.... - (n3jja) - (2)
             Woot! Glad you figured it out. -NT - (Another Scott)
             We have a Winnahh!!! - (n3jja)

May cause dizziness, rash, diarrhea, difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness, extreme pain, bloody stools, flaccidity, amputation, blindness, suicidal thoughts, insanity, lesions, boils, bubonic plague, anal warts, vomiting up toads and lizards, violent convulsions, death, and likely poltergeist activity.
65 ms