IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Definitely don't do that
You must be misinterpreting me, because I never said to *say* what you're willing to pay.

You hold the money that the dealer wants to relieve you of. The price where you should start your negotiations is the dealer invoice -- IE, what the car dealer paid for the car.

Yes, in rare situations, the dealer might take a loss on a given vehicle, but I don't think a Corolla fits that bill currently. And since this is not an American-owned car company, we don't need to consider "employee pricing."

So you start your negotiations at what the dealer paid. Offer him a few hundred more than that, and stand firm. Personally, I don't haggle. When I've bought my cars, the dealers know that I know how much they've paid. They know that I'm willing to offer them some cash on top of that. And they know that they're not gonna be able to fuck with me. Education is your friend.

When I went to buy my Maxima, the sales droid tried to go into the "what are you willing to pay per month" game. I never gave him a number, and he got flustered. He was a relatively new drone, and obviously not used to customers who didn't play along with his game. He had to run and get the sales manager, who handled me in a much more professional manner. And I ended up getting the deal I wanted on the car, and 1.9% financing to boot.

If you pay the price on the sticker in the window of the car, you're getting fucked. Not screwed, but fucked.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Good advice.
That is precisely what I did when I bought the Sentra back in 1985 (and why it took 3 weeks to do it). On that deal, I walked out and the dealership kept calling me until finally I got the car for what I wanted ($500 above their cost).

I guess the old way is still the best way. ;0)

[Edit]: Back in 1985, Tercel's in NC were going for $1,000 to $2,000 above list. You got on a wait list, they called you, you came in and looked at the car, voted up or down and then paid through the nose. I wasn't going to do that and the Sentra was my next choice. If I'd have purchased a Tercel that year, in that region, I'd have paid over $10,000 for what, essentially, was a Sentra with a Toyota logo.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 8, 2005, 10:34:06 AM EDT
New Miscommunication, I was agreeing with you
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Are car dealers haggling anymore? - (mmoffitt) - (24)
         down here lots of haggle room, was at the ford dealer monday - (boxley)
         I'm about to go used. - (inthane-chan) - (7)
             they dont "make" it back with the financing - (boxley)
             I think you'll have trouble finding a diesel Toyo or Honda. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Two things I'm looking for: - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     spend 4k more and get new - (boxley) - (2)
                         Because 6k is pushing it. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             You can probably get a 2000 Corolla for ~ $4 - 5k. - (Another Scott)
                     Old Joke: Pick 2: (Reliable, Fuel Efficient, Inexpensive) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Driven a '05 - (Ashton)
         Do your homework first. - (Yendor) - (6)
             Seconded: seen it Work 3x now. Any less effort: Lose$$ -NT - (Ashton)
             Definitely don't do that - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                 I don't think he said that you should - (Ashton)
                 Re: Definitely don't do that - (Yendor) - (2)
                     Good advice. - (mmoffitt)
                     Miscommunication, I was agreeing with you -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Back in '98 - (imqwerky) - (6)
             everyone here knows that "invoice" is kack right? - (boxley) - (5)
                 Which is why you pay CU or probably several others, now - (Ashton) - (1)
                     If he wants a Toy, he should remember BT's recent experience - (Another Scott)
                 Dealer Holdback - (gdaustin) - (2)
                     When I bought my minivan... - (imqwerky) - (1)
                         ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)

It's a Berkeley DB file - neat! I love retro.
204 ms