IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: No, and quality matters
FWIW, my Dad's side of the family is in the automotive business, having at points run a Ford and a Toyota dealership. A couple of months back I asked my Dad what I should look at next car-wise, and he said Toyota or Hyundai. He thinks Hyundai is coming up strong on the outside, paying a lot of attention to quality. Like Toyota, they had a poor initial reputation, but they're working their way out of it quickly.

And no matter what you do, you maximum point of leverage as a buyer is in the last few days of the month.
Expand Edited by dws June 5, 2005, 04:22:04 PM EDT
New On Hyundai...
...word on the street is that the Accent is a minging pile of shit, while the Coupe isn't at all bad.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
     Can I trust this? - (ben_tilly) - (165)
         Dunno, but seems pretty low. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             No trade-in - (ben_tilly)
         No - (broomberg) - (1)
             Thought not :-) - (ben_tilly)
         Can you get a written quote? - (pwhysall) - (2)
             It is here as well...but there are ways around that... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Troof. These are CAR DEALERS we're talking about, after all. -NT - (pwhysall)
         Maybe - - (Ashton) - (8)
             Am I being too picky? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 That depends. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Right. I just hate spending money. - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Re: Right. I just hate spending money. - (Ashton)
                 Don't do it - (broomberg) - (2)
                     Good points - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Just be a reasonable alternative - (broomberg)
                 Don't choose between sizes based on price. - (Another Scott)
         If you are paying cash - (boxley) - (5)
             Re: "tell them that you are comparing" - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 I didnt even look at GM even tho I get the discount - (boxley) - (1)
                     Better than Fords - (tuberculosis)
                 There is a *reason* that GM is desperate - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     No argument there. Last one I owned was a 1980 Citation. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Was price quoted on one of the demo models? - (jbrabeck) - (1)
             Will check on that - (ben_tilly)
         now have you looked at khia's more car less price - (boxley) - (17)
             Re: now have you looked at khia's more car less price - (Yendor)
             Kia, not Khia - (broomberg) - (7)
                 What, you never heard of a Garmann Khia? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                     well I meant the Korean not the Carmen:-) -NT - (boxley)
                     No, but I have heard of a VW Karmen-Ghia. -NT - (folkert) - (4)
                         No you haven't; Alex had it right. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             My favorite Picker of Nits! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Bah, I bet you say that to *all* the girls! - (CRConrad)
                             That's a Bingo! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             That's the life span of an American car - (tuberculosis)
             No, and quality matters - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                 Re: No, and quality matters - (dws) - (1)
                     On Hyundai... - (pwhysall)
                 they wouldnt offer such a warranty if they expected expensiv - (boxley) - (3)
                     Actually, no - (broomberg)
                     Point - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         didnt know about the milage, mind changed -NT - (boxley)
         Probably add local delivery, taxes and tags. - (bepatient) - (71)
             And it will never, ever break. - (pwhysall) - (70)
                 Depends. - (Another Scott) - (66)
                     Re: Depends. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Werd. - (pwhysall)
                     Sure it's a wheel bearing? - (Steve Lowe) - (63)
                         Seconded.. though usually.. those 'click' not whine (?) - (Ashton) - (60)
                             Most interesting... - (pwhysall) - (59)
                                 Can't you weird Brit-peeples say "left" and "right"? - (CRConrad) - (58)
                                     Dear CRC - (pwhysall) - (51)
                                         I bet he has a really clean house! -NT - (bionerd) - (50)
                                             Oh, bullcrap. So, silly vego-person, can *you*... - (CRConrad) - (49)
                                                 You need to turn up your humor detector. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 Stop being a knobhead, CRC. - (pwhysall) - (37)
                                                     He's not he is being CRC so leave him be -NT - (boxley)
                                                     You first, PeeWee. - (CRConrad) - (35)
                                                         Oh, give it a rest, ffs. - (pwhysall) - (34)
                                                             Any time. - (CRConrad) - (11)
                                                                 Re: Any time. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                     AKA "I don't have any real answer". OK, noted. -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                                         Yellow flag thrown! - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                             Bonus points awarded - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                                 Having at WHOM? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                     I stand corrected - (rcareaga)
                                                                             Oh, and by the way ... - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (boxley)
                                                                     No, no, no. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                         ROFL! - (folkert)
                                                                 And there we are. - (mmoffitt)
                                                             Normal usage? Not here. - (ben_tilly) - (21)
                                                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                                                                 So I guess... - (admin) - (19)
                                                                     Furlongs -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                         no. - (pwhysall)
                                                                     You're risking a barrage of Norse longboat vituperation. ;) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         Keeps the LRPDs coming, dunnit? -NT - (admin)
                                                                     thats knot a good measurement -NT - (boxley)
                                                                     Um, actually, I think that your guess was backwards - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                                                                         I had it backwards, actually. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                             what no fenders or wheel wells hood or trunk? -NT - (boxley)
                                                                         Confused? No. - (admin) - (10)
                                                                             Kind of invalidates your parallel, doesn't it though? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                                                 It's called "hyperbole". HTH! -NT - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                     OK, that's another word for it. Thanks! - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                                                                         Whatever gets you through the day. - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                             I think you're forgetting the most salient detail here... - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                                                                 Ha, nice try. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                     Not even a "nice try" from you, though. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                                                         Sorry, not my conversation, yours. -NT - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                             Ha ha, very funny. But, hey, if you're granting... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                                                 No, you mistake my meaning. - (admin)
                                                 Yeah, actually I did understand what Peter was talking about - (bionerd) - (9)
                                                     ... - (admin)
                                                     You keep coming back to that. - (pwhysall)
                                                     Errrrmh, <cough>... ummm - (folkert)
                                                     Oh, you're all just basking in your cleverness, arent you? -NT - (bionerd) - (4)
                                                         They're sure basking in something! - (Nightowl)
                                                         Had I seen it in time, I too would have been sorely tempted. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                         poor fellas cant tell the difference between an adjective - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             If you've got... - (pwhysall)
                                                     OK,w/ that admission you can to call me (or NE1) one too! :) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                     Oh *absolutely* gibber the Norse longboat terminology at us -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                                         ICLFRPD (new thread) - (pwhysall)
                                         Uh, that would be Larboard/Starboard, Lubber Boy -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                             nope havn/styrbord larboard is the same -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Not so - (tuberculosis)
                                     Doubly so when they drive on the wrong side of the road -NT - (ben_tilly)
                         It seems like a wheel bearing. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             The wheel bearing's fine. Needs a rear McPherson strut. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                 Consumer Reports likes them - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Re: Consumer Reports likes them - (lincoln) - (1)
                         Means it is even better than advertised. :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Internet/Fleet sales is the way to go - (tonytib) - (6)
             that's how I bought my '96 Nissan Altima - (cforde) - (2)
                 '96 Nissan Altima - (Ashton) - (1)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
             Over here, one avoids ex-fleet cars like t'plague. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Please read more carefully - (tonytib) - (1)
                     Over here... - (pwhysall)
         Some things I saw. - (static)
         It looks like I can trust it (is LoJack worthwhile?) - (ben_tilly) - (34)
             Yes. Do you know what it is/does? -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                 I know what it is/does - (ben_tilly)
             Do you know of anyone out there that's had a car stolen? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 This *IS* Los Angeles - (ben_tilly)
                 It does happen. - (admin) - (1)
                     Had my new '87 'stang stolen... - (folkert)
             Take it - (broomberg) - (2)
                 I believe there is no sticker with LoJack - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     If professional thieves get it, it won't matter -NT - (drewk)
             I *would* have said yes, but look at the insurance company - (drewk) - (1)
                 Yabut, there is a twist - (ben_tilly)
             Aren't taxes computed on the before rebate price? -NT - (lincoln) - (1)
                 Yes. -NT - (ben_tilly)
             If the insurance company thinks so, they'll pay for it - (tuberculosis) - (20)
                 How odd all this is. - (pwhysall) - (19)
                     if the car starts by inserting a key into a tumbler - (boxley) - (15)
                         Slide hammer is faster than a drill. -NT - (hnick)
                         Pair of scissors - (rcareaga)
                         OK. You're in. Now start it. - (pwhysall)
                         Don't work for modern anti-theft ignition killers. - (static) - (11)
                             That's certainly the case for my car. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             cant press the valet button? - (boxley) - (9)
                                 "Valet button"? - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                     what is an immobilizer - (boxley) - (6)
                                         Never heard of that. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                             how is it connected to an immobilizer? a wire? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                 Indeed. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                     and the laguage they speak is called voltage - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Right. - (pwhysall)
                                                     is this the widget in question? (new thread) - (boxley)
                                 Don't have one of those. - (static)
                     Arse 1! -NT - (pwhysall)
                     Arse 2! -NT - (pwhysall)
                     Falling Car Crime In The UK & The Great Insurance Ripoff (new thread) - (pwhysall)
         Purchased - (ben_tilly) - (7)
             Congrats! -NT - (Another Scott)
             car dealers never lose :-) - (boxley) - (2)
                 He lost according to Toyota's figures - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Re: He lost according to Toyota's figures - (dws)
             suggestion.. - (cforde) - (2)
                 I'll definitely think about that - (ben_tilly)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)

I think its a fine solution to the problem that you probably shouldn't have.
149 ms