IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmm...
Unfortunately I'm not a stockholder, and now that I'm off my duff and attempting to do something about my computer lack, I don't want to wait several months for that deal.

I may wind up doing the refurbished option. Though a friend had a horrible experience with the T40, so I'd like to stay away from that particular model.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New You probably need to compare specific machine numbers.
All T40s aren't alike. E.g. My T41 has a/b/g wireless and Bluetooth. I think some others were b only or didn't have Bluetooth. Theh hardware (and thus the drivers) can differ for nominally the same model. You need to compare the numbers like T237372U (for that refurbished T40) that identify a particular combination of features. That number is also sometimes good for searching for Linux tips and/or better prices on [link|http://froogle.google.com/froogle|Froogle] and the like.

In this case though little shows up for that particular T40.

Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Point. How has your battery life been?
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Can't complain.
The Pentium M can be throttled back much more than the P4 in laptops. It's a great laptop chip. But Linux support isn't as seamless as under Win2k.

I bought the Extra Life battery and the UltraBay battery (replaces the CD-RW). I usually just use the big main battery - it sticks out the back a little. I haven't done any test recently, but I think I can easily get 5+ hours out of it doing wireless stuff under Win2k. With both batteries under Win2k the meter said the life should be ~ 8 hours (with some of the power saving stuff turned on).

Under MEPIS, the power-saving stuff apparently isn't configured right. I think it's running full speed and the life with the big battery is ~ 3-4 hours. I haven't tried to figure out what needs to be configured...

I haven't noticed any degradation in the battery, but I don't use the laptop that often (it sits for a couple of weeks at a time sometimes, other times it's used every evening).

I think I got the batteries from a store on eBay.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New There is a backup plan for IBM.
As a retired IBMer, I can get the employee prices, for myself, for my family and for my friends. But not everything is available on this plan.

Models in Thinkpad series R, T, X, and G are available. For example, T-42 Thinkpads are available in three flavors - Economy, Value and Performance. The differences are in memory size, security features, and graphics adapter memory. They say:
Economy: Your price $996.75*
IBM Web Price $1,329.00*

Value:\tYour price $1,099.00*
IBM Web Price $1,479.00*

Performance:\tYour price $1,269.00*
IBM Web Price $1,629.00*
Add the cost of optional stuff, taxes and shipping to those prices. Why don't you see if you can find what you want on the IBM site and I'll see if it's available and what the price would be.

The last time I went shopping for a laptop, for travel and otherwise my wife's use, I wound up with an HP from CompUSA. :)
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New That sounds like a very nice deal!
Shoot me your email again to btilly at gmail.com. I'll try to figure out what I want and work things that way.

Thanks,
Ben
New Take a look at this thread at Gillmor's blog.
[link|http://dangillmor.typepad.com/dan_gillmor_on_grassroots/2005/04/your_assistance.html|Looking for help with suspend/resume in Linux on a Thinkpad X40].

It might be worth a glance or few.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It was, it confirms my thinking :-)
New Re: Sent!
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New received!
     The beret seems unlikely to land... - (ben_tilly) - (43)
         The Apple Pro keyboard plays nice with me. - (pwhysall) - (13)
             That's great for you - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                 Bite me, you miserable sod. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     ;P - How does it feel to be on the other side of the BOOT? -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                         Not so bad... - (pwhysall)
                     That was not a boot - (ben_tilly)
                 Baby keep you up all night or something? - (admin) - (7)
                     No - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                         Sigh. - (pwhysall)
                         You might want to review #203693. He didn't do that... -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Reviewed - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 You're over-analysing. - (pwhysall)
                                 That's not the way I read it. - (Another Scott)
                         You're completely over-reacting - (admin)
         Hard drive size limitations. - (bepatient) - (19)
             Good points - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                 Deal not expected to repeat. - (bepatient) - (6)
                     That is almost workable - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         I've generally had good luck with pcmcia - (bepatient) - (2)
                             So is the built-in wireless not working for you? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 I haven't tried on the T40 - (bepatient)
                         I have a Broadcom chipset in mine - (Yendor) - (1)
                             I'd like to be able to entirely remove... - (ben_tilly)
                 IBM stockholders get deals. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     Hmm... - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                         You probably need to compare specific machine numbers. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Point. How has your battery life been? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Can't complain. - (Another Scott)
                         There is a backup plan for IBM. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                             That sounds like a very nice deal! - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 Take a look at this thread at Gillmor's blog. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     It was, it confirms my thinking :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                 Re: Sent! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     received! -NT - (ben_tilly)
         another question - (boxley) - (4)
             Cost is not the issue with your scenario - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 Just wait until he figures out how to climb... - (admin) - (2)
                     I'm planning that as well... - (ben_tilly)
                     That doesn't work - (jake123)
         Thinkpad. - (ubernostrum) - (1)
             So far I have several good reports on thinkpads... - (ben_tilly)
         HP Laptop NC6000 - (lister) - (1)
             That looks interesting as well, thanks -NT - (ben_tilly)

Hello, boys and girls! Here we are in Romper Room school again!
106 ms