IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You might want to review #203693. He didn't do that...
New Reviewed
A large portion of the post came off then, and still comes off on a re-read, as an attempt to convince me that I will find that the Apple keyboard is OK, and that I should therefore go back to my original plan.

It isn't subtle, for instance the title of the post is The Apple Pro keyboard plays nice with me. And he proceeds to point out that he also has large hands, with the implication that I would find as he does, that the Apple keyboard is fine and dandy after all.

He goes on to semi-conclude that:

Personally, I'd get used to an Apple keyboard and enjoy the flawless laptop experience rather than get into the farting around that is mobile Linux on a somewhat-less-well-designed-and-built-than-a-Powerbook x86 laptop.

That's wonderful - for him. It should be obvious to him that it doesn't work for me. I would have personally appreciated it if he had omitted this commentary rather than making it the title and a third of the post. It would have led to significantly less annoyance on my part.

Now I'd be much less annoyed if he was ignoring something that I peripherally happened to mention. But it wasn't peripheral. It was central to my decision, and central to my post. In fact it was the only thing I said that was important enough to me to put in bold letters.

Anyways he's said his piece, I've reacted. It is clear that at least a couple of you disagree with my reaction. It doesn't change the fact that that was my reaction. Is there anything left to say, or can we drop the topic?

Regards,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New You're over-analysing.
I just tried to help, but you bent over backwards to be annoyed.

Fact: Linux on a laptop is not trouble-free, and considerably more problematic than OS X on a laptop.

Why don't you focus on the fact that I gave you a massive clue about video and wireless networking, both of which can be a huge hassle under Linux? Or the fact that there's a distro that supports the former and the latter out of the box, and which I told you the name of, and recommended from personal experience on both counts?

Or do you want to anally deconstruct me some more?

Er.

That doesn't scan the way I want it to.

I'm personally annoyed by your self-righteous characterisation of me; my advice and opinion was given in good faith and freely. Please have the good grace to accept it as such.
[Edit: Original subject was unfair]

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
Expand Edited by pwhysall April 18, 2005, 05:37:02 PM EDT
New That's not the way I read it.
I'm not trying to pile-on. I'll make this comment and drop it.

I read the post in question as parenthetical remarks about his feelings on the keyboard, then - the majority of the post - giving information about Linux on laptops and using it to access a OS X box. If he was just trying to be a smart-ass and annoy you, he wouldn't have included the information about Ubuntu, NVidia, Atheros, etc., would he?

For whatever reason, Peter's tone (or your perception of it) in the past has bothered you. You brought that baggage with you when you read his post.

It seemed fine to me, and I think you'd see it that way too if you didn't know it was from Peter.

FWIW.

Now kiss and make up already. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     The beret seems unlikely to land... - (ben_tilly) - (43)
         The Apple Pro keyboard plays nice with me. - (pwhysall) - (13)
             That's great for you - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                 Bite me, you miserable sod. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     ;P - How does it feel to be on the other side of the BOOT? -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                         Not so bad... - (pwhysall)
                     That was not a boot - (ben_tilly)
                 Baby keep you up all night or something? - (admin) - (7)
                     No - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                         Sigh. - (pwhysall)
                         You might want to review #203693. He didn't do that... -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Reviewed - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 You're over-analysing. - (pwhysall)
                                 That's not the way I read it. - (Another Scott)
                         You're completely over-reacting - (admin)
         Hard drive size limitations. - (bepatient) - (19)
             Good points - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                 Deal not expected to repeat. - (bepatient) - (6)
                     That is almost workable - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         I've generally had good luck with pcmcia - (bepatient) - (2)
                             So is the built-in wireless not working for you? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 I haven't tried on the T40 - (bepatient)
                         I have a Broadcom chipset in mine - (Yendor) - (1)
                             I'd like to be able to entirely remove... - (ben_tilly)
                 IBM stockholders get deals. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     Hmm... - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                         You probably need to compare specific machine numbers. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Point. How has your battery life been? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Can't complain. - (Another Scott)
                         There is a backup plan for IBM. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                             That sounds like a very nice deal! - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 Take a look at this thread at Gillmor's blog. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     It was, it confirms my thinking :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                 Re: Sent! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     received! -NT - (ben_tilly)
         another question - (boxley) - (4)
             Cost is not the issue with your scenario - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 Just wait until he figures out how to climb... - (admin) - (2)
                     I'm planning that as well... - (ben_tilly)
                     That doesn't work - (jake123)
         Thinkpad. - (ubernostrum) - (1)
             So far I have several good reports on thinkpads... - (ben_tilly)
         HP Laptop NC6000 - (lister) - (1)
             That looks interesting as well, thanks -NT - (ben_tilly)

Opportunities are rarely good news.
69 ms