IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Intent to deceive - ability to lie without lying...
Personally, I thought that the intent was the key element with regards to lying. I also thought it was possible to "lie by omission" - telling the truth but leave out key important details.

But that's just my opinion. YMMV.
New I'm confused
I thought what I was pointing out *was* the intent of the Bush admin to deceive.
-----------------------------------------
[link|http://www.talion.com/questionw.html|?W]
Where were you in 72?
New In a milieu shouting, Ignorance is Truth!__War is Peace!
I deem that your confusion is not merely normal but Healthy, or as one sage observed re much larger matters..

Confusion is a High state
(IIRC - this in connection with its being a prelude to a certain breakthrough over lengthy efforts to dissemble..)

Aaauuummmm
New I'm sorry - I was agreeing with you...
and pointing that it was possible for Bush to tell completely true statement and still lie by omission.

The galloping revisionists (how's that for a Marlowe phrase...) are trying desperately to argue that if it Bush said it, it wasn't a lie because technically it was true.

But the fact of the matter (as you pointed out) is that Bush, by ever conceivable record, argued strong that WMD (in particular Nukes) were a clear and present danger to the US. Stating that Britain thought Iraq was trying to buy nukes becomes a lie of omission - because he didn't tell us that our own intelligence organization throught the documents were bogus.
New OK
My bad. I should have read closer.
Where were you in 72?
New Nice followup by the Washington Post....
But a review of speeches and reports, plus interviews with present and former administration officials and intelligence analysts, suggests that between Oct. 7, when President Bush made a speech laying out the case for military action against Hussein, and Jan. 28, when he gave his State of the Union address, almost all the other evidence had either been undercut or disproved by U.N. inspectors in Iraq.

By Jan. 28, in fact, the intelligence report concerning Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa -- although now almost entirely disproved -- was the only publicly unchallenged element of the administration's case that Iraq had restarted its nuclear program. That may explain why the administration strived to keep the information in the speech and attribute it to the British, even though the CIA had challenged it earlier.

[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61622-2003Jul15.html?nav=hptop_tb| Washington Post ]

Notice how all the hyperbole regarding the French has died down as well?
New Re: the French
Kind of hard to continually insult an ally and expect them to respond favorably to a request for armed support.
Where were you in 72?
New Not 'hard' if you think like a Neoconman... :(
New Should point out
that the "lie of omission" is enshrined in the common law, has been since before the US was founded, and is well understood and well tested in that milieu. The fact that marketers (and the current admin seems to me to be driven by marketing to a degree that makes the Clinton years look like sober debate) skirt around this one all the time doesn't cut it wil lawyers.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     So what's the evidence for Bush lying - (johnu) - (49)
         Couple - (jbrabeck)
         Shrub and Condiment Blame CIA - (deSitter) - (2)
             This is the 2nd time that Bush has done something weird.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                 Cleared != verified - (mhuber)
         Here's why there cannot ever be any 'evidence': - (Ashton)
         the evidence for Bush lying - (tangaroa) - (1)
             Missed one - (tangaroa)
         You need to look for evidence? - (ben_tilly)
         Not what I'm looking for - (johnu) - (36)
             Of course it isn't what you are looking for - (ben_tilly) - (35)
                 Just can't redefine lying that way - (johnu) - (34)
                     Re: Just can't redefine lying that way - (deSitter) - (2)
                         It escalates - (deSitter)
                         That bugs me. - (mmoffitt)
                     Who is redefining lying? - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                         Mean.. next you'll remind us of his campaign promise of - (Ashton) - (23)
                             Re: Mean.. next you'll remind us of his campaign promise of - (johnu) - (22)
                                 Define the promise - (jbrabeck)
                                 You would show lack of integrity at least in that scenario - (ben_tilly) - (20)
                                     Re: You would show lack of integrity... - (johnu) - (19)
                                         Intent to deceive? - (Silverlock) - (13)
                                             Intent to deceive - ability to lie without lying... - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                                                 I'm confused - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                                     In a milieu shouting, Ignorance is Truth!__War is Peace! - (Ashton)
                                                     I'm sorry - I was agreeing with you... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                                         OK - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                             Nice followup by the Washington Post.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                                 Re: the French - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                     Not 'hard' if you think like a Neoconman... :( -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 Should point out - (jake123)
                                             That explains a lot - (johnu) - (3)
                                                 Ignore the inconvenient - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                     I think johnu == krove. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                         Wrong - (Ashton)
                                         Mighty fine gradations of dishonesty there... - (ben_tilly)
                                         Considering the time difference - (jake123) - (3)
                                             Re: Considering the time difference - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 I don't know if your - (jake123) - (1)
                                                     Thou sayest: exactly so. -NT - (Ashton)
                         Note: - (jake123) - (4)
                             State of the Union - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                 Looks to me like SotU is certainly being - (jake123) - (2)
                                     EEuuww. - (Silverlock)
                                     Re: "Imperial Amreica" - (jb4)
                     Speaking of redefining lying - (tangaroa)
         And you flamed Clinton over the meaning of "is"? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Brevity Award over Ashcroftian-pallid breast-skin background -NT - (Ashton)
         johnu: The Literal Mind\ufffd___inaction -NT - (Ashton)
         warning old joke in message - (andread)

Shocking, but not surprising.
72 ms