IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Post hoc...
before 9/11 almost everyone was pretty sure that the gov. would let MS off the hook

but to return to other issues

business

XP corporate versions do not require any interaction w/ MS on install
auto-updates are still optional
most businesses have firewalls and administrators
or is this like one of those hacker movies we all know and love

(I always like the part where the guy sits at the keyboard, types about 500 wpm and the screen erupts in a graphic display that any game company would kill for just before he yells 'I'm in')

in W2K you have to be an admin to run updates
I'm the only XP user at work and am admin so I don't know how that is but I'd suspect it is the same

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Bull, most businesses DO NOT have firewalls and admins.
Most businesses (in number, in dollar volume, and in employment) in the U.S. are small businesses. If they have a firewall at all, it's just a little NAT router. Since Microsoft's stuff is browser based and requested from the inside, such a firewall is no protection whatever. We're not talking hackers here, were talking about a vendor who's software agents are within the firewall.

Most businesses in the U.S. do not have any IT staff whatever. They generally have one person who knows just enough about Windows to screw it up. Most are getting concerned about the cost of Microsoft's software, but have no intention of going elsewhere.

I personally am all the IT staff about 220 such businesses have (about 150 are active (call for my services at least once) in any year). Because I'm "expensive", they don't have me do more than the minimum to keep their systems running.

My larger clients (those with over 20 workstations) are little better off than the smaller ones.

Very few of my clients even have anyone on staff who understands what a directory is. When asked where they keep their document files, they say "in Word" and are totally mystified that I don't consider this sufficient information. This is typical of most businesses in the U.S.. They have no defense whatever against anything Microsoft wants to do.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New good point
how about the other points
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New E-fscking-GAD!
Very few of my clients even have anyone on staff who understands what a directory is. When asked where they keep their document files, they say "in Word" and are totally mystified that I don't consider this sufficient information. This is typical of most businesses in the U.S.. They have no defense whatever against anything Microsoft wants to do.

I had no idea...

The state of overall computer literacy for Murican bizniz is really that bad? Egad!

Thanks for that disturbing eye-opening look from the trenches...(I think...)
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
New Geezis, where the...
HELL have you been?

I think every single IT worker should spend 1 week/year manning the Helldesk. It will give you a vastly different view of how computers are working for the masses...
Gimli's Rules for Surviving in Middle Earth #43: When attempting to destroy an artifact, remember to use somebody else's axe.
New Writing embedded systems, thankyewverymuch...
...(and by "embedded systems", I don't mean Micros~1's bastardized version of the term, either. I mean real-time, event-driven systems embedded into lab tools, medical equipment, vending machines, you name it.

I don't do IT.

(Yeah, I do do Windows apps when I need to. Fortunately, I don't need to very often. With any kind of luck, I can avoid .Nyet, by sticking to embedded, and (soon) Linux app development. I've spent the last year-and-a-half doing QNX development, so I'm on my way...)

Does that make me an "ivory-tower intellectual"? Dunno...probably not. It does, however tend to isolate me from those who are completely devoid of knowledge about basic computer concepts (except, of course, for my PHB-manager types, whom I can never seem to avoid no matter what I do...).
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
     Microsoft and Security - (n3jja) - (51)
         Re: Microsoft and Security - (Yendor) - (50)
             Lean forward and get your bitchslap! ;-) -NT - (n3jja) - (3)
                 It's not even that clear cut. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                     Wrong - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Different sections. - (inthane-chan)
             Re: Microsoft and Security - (andread) - (45)
                 Theoretical Researchers . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Re: Microsoft and Security - (Yendor) - (41)
                     Sensing Deep Paranoia Here - (andread) - (40)
                         Well, a lot of people, including whole governments . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (39)
                             this relates to Windows Update how? -NT - (andread) - (38)
                                 How the hell do you think they'd distribute it? - (Andrew Grygus) - (37)
                                     Is 98 the last M$-OS for very many, out there? - (Ashton) - (6)
                                         Really? - (andread) - (1)
                                             Really. - (Yendor)
                                         I vote yes....conditionally - (jb4) - (3)
                                             Start with SuSE, sure. - (admin) - (2)
                                                 Thanks for the Knoppix tip - (jb4) - (1)
                                                     Debian is harder to configure, easier to install - (admin)
                                     And you're definition of 'it' is? - (andread) - (10)
                                         See above... - (Yendor)
                                         Home user updates? - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                             Post hoc... - (andread) - (5)
                                                 Bull, most businesses DO NOT have firewalls and admins. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                     good point - (andread)
                                                     E-fscking-GAD! - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         Geezis, where the... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                             Writing embedded systems, thankyewverymuch... - (jb4)
                                             So that's when it does it! - (static) - (1)
                                                 Very. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                     Give it up, guys - I done TOLE you Andy is an MS shill. -NT - (CRConrad) - (18)
                                         Well, we know that . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         at least you didn't call me Andrea this time, 'Charlene' -NT - (andread) - (16)
                                             And at least you didn't try to deny it this time, Andrea. -NT - (CRConrad) - (15)
                                                 Tell you what - (andread) - (14)
                                                     Only shows, some people are stupid enough to whore for free. -NT - (CRConrad) - (13)
                                                         Curiouser and curiouser - (andread) - (11)
                                                             Speaking of 'sides' - (Ashton) - (10)
                                                                 Microsoft's very foundation is theivery. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                                                     Unfortunately, Western Business runs that way. - (static) - (8)
                                                                         It goes a lot deeper than that - (tonytib)
                                                                         Western Business in the news runs that way - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                                                             Pithy summary; still M$ is different - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                 Nestle - (andread) - (4)
                                                                                     Quite right you are.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                         Do I dare post... - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                                                                             Sorry to hear that... - (jb4)
                                                                                             Of course you do! So, have you sent your protest yet? - (CRConrad)
                                                         Whores are professionals - (kmself)
                 You're lucky - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                     Good points - (andread)

Press 1 for commentary. Press 2 for Customer Support. Press 3 for the llama department. Press 4 for the LRPD.
189 ms