IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is 98 the last M$-OS for very many, out there?
Dunno how anyone could find out more than approximately, but..

Wondering how widespread? growing? is the attitude among the basically-ept, that: W98 is the last M$ thing to be allowed in the house (for personal use that is). Corp-Am is another matter. Yes, I realize that W2K may be an option where matched to certain demanding aps, but with the realization that if one needs >=SP-3 - you'd be screwed.

(It's clear too, of course - that the 'average' user still wouldn't have the foggiest notion of why they ought to be concerned at all. Natch.)

Ashton

When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
New Really?
screwed by SP3??

automatic updates are an option

not a requirement

A

Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Really.
screwed by SP3??
automatic updates are an option[, ]not a requirement
Name another product that requires you to sign (or click-wrap) a new EULA that allows the company to access your computer anytime they choose just to allow you access to security updates to fix huge-gaping-drive-a-Hummer-through-'em holes in their products? You know. Like [link|http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-072.asp|the one where Windows XP's shell can be attacked by a malicious MP3 file] (thanks Peter.)
-YendorMike

[link|http://www.hope-ride.org/|http://www.hope-ride.org/]
New I vote yes....conditionally
Actually, I will put the W2K Problem on my new machine, and patch it to SP2...and stop. For good. (And for the Good of my machine.)

Now on the OTHER hard drive on the new screamer, I've got the whole 30G platter reserved for Linux. I'm thinking SuSE 8.2 when it's available...any tips (Linux is not my forte; its not even my mezzo-piano...yet...).
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
New Start with SuSE, sure.
Easy to install, easy to run.

When you get the hang of it, switch to Debian.

Or, mess around with Knoppix for a while first, then put it on your hard drive.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Thanks for the Knoppix tip
Just read about it somewhere else (the Reg?)...Good idea!

And thanx-

But tell me, What's the advantage of Debian over SuSE (except perhaps that it's a more "roll-up-yer-sleeves-and-git-yer-fingernails-dirty" brand of Linux)?
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
Expand Edited by jb4 Dec. 20, 2002, 02:07:51 PM EST
New Debian is harder to configure, easier to install
I type 'apt-get install smbfs'. Installed, ready to use. In SuSE, it was a 30-60 minute process. This is one of many examples. The package management and dependency management makes installing New Toys so much easier. WAY easier.

You'll want this too:

[link|http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Main/DebianKernelBuilding|http://subwiki.honey...ianKernelBuilding]

Very easy. Too easy, almost. I don't have to really think about installing new things; it just happens. 'apt-get install gcc-3.2' 'apt-get install gkrell' 'apt-get install nvidia-glx' ... you name it, it's easier.

SuSE has an automatic update manager in YAST2, but it can't hold a candle to apt-get.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Microsoft and Security - (n3jja) - (51)
         Re: Microsoft and Security - (Yendor) - (50)
             Lean forward and get your bitchslap! ;-) -NT - (n3jja) - (3)
                 It's not even that clear cut. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                     Wrong - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Different sections. - (inthane-chan)
             Re: Microsoft and Security - (andread) - (45)
                 Theoretical Researchers . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Re: Microsoft and Security - (Yendor) - (41)
                     Sensing Deep Paranoia Here - (andread) - (40)
                         Well, a lot of people, including whole governments . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (39)
                             this relates to Windows Update how? -NT - (andread) - (38)
                                 How the hell do you think they'd distribute it? - (Andrew Grygus) - (37)
                                     Is 98 the last M$-OS for very many, out there? - (Ashton) - (6)
                                         Really? - (andread) - (1)
                                             Really. - (Yendor)
                                         I vote yes....conditionally - (jb4) - (3)
                                             Start with SuSE, sure. - (admin) - (2)
                                                 Thanks for the Knoppix tip - (jb4) - (1)
                                                     Debian is harder to configure, easier to install - (admin)
                                     And you're definition of 'it' is? - (andread) - (10)
                                         See above... - (Yendor)
                                         Home user updates? - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                             Post hoc... - (andread) - (5)
                                                 Bull, most businesses DO NOT have firewalls and admins. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                     good point - (andread)
                                                     E-fscking-GAD! - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         Geezis, where the... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                             Writing embedded systems, thankyewverymuch... - (jb4)
                                             So that's when it does it! - (static) - (1)
                                                 Very. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                     Give it up, guys - I done TOLE you Andy is an MS shill. -NT - (CRConrad) - (18)
                                         Well, we know that . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         at least you didn't call me Andrea this time, 'Charlene' -NT - (andread) - (16)
                                             And at least you didn't try to deny it this time, Andrea. -NT - (CRConrad) - (15)
                                                 Tell you what - (andread) - (14)
                                                     Only shows, some people are stupid enough to whore for free. -NT - (CRConrad) - (13)
                                                         Curiouser and curiouser - (andread) - (11)
                                                             Speaking of 'sides' - (Ashton) - (10)
                                                                 Microsoft's very foundation is theivery. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                                                     Unfortunately, Western Business runs that way. - (static) - (8)
                                                                         It goes a lot deeper than that - (tonytib)
                                                                         Western Business in the news runs that way - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                                                             Pithy summary; still M$ is different - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                 Nestle - (andread) - (4)
                                                                                     Quite right you are.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                         Do I dare post... - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                                                                             Sorry to hear that... - (jb4)
                                                                                             Of course you do! So, have you sent your protest yet? - (CRConrad)
                                                         Whores are professionals - (kmself)
                 You're lucky - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                     Good points - (andread)

#include <stdlrpd.h>
266 ms