IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay, if you don't like racist, how about bigot? ;-)
New Chuckle.
Again, I think he's more stupid than anything else.

The "left-wing" papers picked up on the John Kerry haircut and ignored Lott's statement. And if Lott had stopped at mere praise for Thurmond, there wouldn't be anything to this at all. But, I suspect (still) that Lott went off the cuff and made the statement.

But even then he was given a pass. No one wanted to be accused of playing the race card. The left (with the exception of Marshall) ignored the event. The right, on the other hand (Sullivan et al.) began calling for the apology. (I suspect they knew what was in the cards.)

Go Lott apologizes with a wimpish, "I'm sorry if you took offense" comment. (Stupid II).

Now the issue is getting attention. (Hell, look at how BP when someone accused him of ol' "Separate but equal" .. immediate and total denial. - Why couldn't Lott decry segregation?) So people start reviewing his past. Some of the people he's hung out with aren't totally convinced that segregation was a bad idea (CCC and others).

Now the talking begins in earnest.

Frankly, I still don't think he's a racist - even given his court brief or talks in front of the CCC. I think he has associates that are racist and that he's made some dumb political moves so far.

But then again, I could be wrong by giving him the benefit of the doubt.
New He couldn't decry segregation.
Because he believes "we'd be better of if we'd continued it." That's what he said. More than once.

If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, go ahead. But understand that at his best, he was at least appealing to racists in his own constituency.
New Actually, I haven't seen that.
Don't get me wrong, he's praising some people who DO (and DID) say that, but I haven't seen him anywhere say that we'd be better off with segregation. (Which is why I was surprised by his wimpish apology.)

He's written briefs to the Courts supporting school discriminatory policies. (While I disagree with his conclusion, he had valid arguments.)

He's also written one (iirc) on the burning of crosses. (Which, strickly speaking, I also agree with him, it should be covered as a free speech - provided it's done on my own property and it's my own cross. :-)

There is even an argument that he's a member of the cofcc...but that he didn't pay the dues (and may not have known about the membership) - as it was done through an uncle of his.

Frankly, I have no ax to grind with Lott. I think he's statement of Thurmond were over the top and I think he should've apologized better. (Bush's statement should've been the one he made).

But I do have doubts that he's really a racist. (But I could be wrong.)
     "discarded policies of the past" Lotts remark - (boxley) - (61)
         My question. - (mmoffitt) - (41)
             I think that a significant difference lies is his 'wishing' - (Ashton) - (39)
                 Re: 2002 Beliefs - (mmoffitt) - (38)
                     Re: 2002 Beliefs - (deSitter) - (37)
                         No, racism is not only a Southern thing. When I lived in NC, - (mmoffitt) - (36)
                             Re: No, racism is not only a Southern thing... - (deSitter)
                             I know a white guy who relocated from Indiana to NC - (boxley)
                             He made no racist statements. - (bepatient) - (33)
                                 "Separate but equal" rings true for you I suppose. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                                     In 2 words.. - (bepatient) - (29)
                                         Ouch. - (mmoffitt) - (28)
                                             Are you resorting to code words now??? - (bepatient) - (27)
                                                 To paraphrase you... - (mmoffitt) - (26)
                                                     No. Niet. None of the above. - (bepatient) - (25)
                                                         Huh? - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                                                             You are stretching way too far... - (bepatient) - (22)
                                                                 Lack of preparation? - (Silverlock) - (13)
                                                                     So Strom has turned 100 twice? - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                         What? - (Silverlock) - (11)
                                                                             ROFL! "Medja bias strikes again". :-D -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                             What are you talking about? - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                                                                                 Feel Trent's pain - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                                     Actually Ted Stevens would be a better leader - (boxley)
                                                                                 CCC? - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                     Actually, according to their website - it would be cofcc. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                         Er. Yeah. -NT - (admin)
                                                                                 Tone and tenor. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                     Re: the furor surrounding this - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                                         Interesting... - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                             Dupe reply. Pls ignore. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 Maybe we've reached the nut. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                     No, not really. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                         Not that again. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                             2nd - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                 Wrong - (Silverlock)
                                                                                 No, not__ "22 years to be offended". - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                     I didn't skim. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                         Support? - (Ashton)
                                                         And it's "Nyet" btw ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 have you seen this column by Rockwell? - (boxley) - (1)
                                     pretty good - thnx -NT - (SpiceWare)
             Re: My question. - (deSitter)
         What is all of this "code phrase" crap. - (bepatient) - (18)
             code phrase was the apology not the original statement - (boxley)
             Uhmm... Bill? - (Silverlock) - (8)
                 Nice background piece - from the Washington Times no less - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
                     He says it right in the piece.... - (bepatient) - (5)
                         I don't believe I said he was a racist. - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                             Okay, if you don't like racist, how about bigot? ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 Chuckle. - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                     He couldn't decry segregation. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         Actually, I haven't seen that. - (Simon_Jester)
                 Yes I do. - (bepatient)
             "... we voted for him. We're proud of it." - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 So... - (bepatient) - (6)
                     So, - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                         did he mention any of these things? - (bepatient) - (3)
                             So, - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 Dude... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     Nit corrected, Geesh. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         ROFL! Image over substance indeed hmmmbjhm -NT - (boxley)

Mmmmm. Bacteria injections.
139 ms