IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sorry, but Peter's right - you Just Don't Get It.
Ross offers some advice:
1) You can have an interface with multiple IP addresses *on the same network*, provided they all look the same when the netmask is applied.
That's great... I think -- or, probably *would* think, if I were a network engineer or something such, so I cared deeply about such issues. But what in the world gave you the impression that I do?

2) You cannot have the same interface on two physically different networks. Each connection to a separate physical network needs a separate physical interface. See below.
Oh, *that* must be why all the other consultants are toting around laptops with thirty-eight network cards in them -- one for each LAN they ever attach to! No, hold on, wait a minute... Hey, guess what -- they *don't*!

3) The proper solution to your issue is to install a second NIC and attach that to the other network.
Yeah, right... Maybe if I wanted to attach to several different networks *at the same time* -- but where did I ever say I wanted to do that?

(And are *you* going to pull a network cable from my home to wherever I go to work each morning, so I can be on my home network while I'm at the office...?)

About 2) - let's say you're on one physical network configured as 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0, but for some perverse reason you set up two computers on this physical network with 192.168.2.0 addresses. [...] imaginary 192.168.1.0 network, we could set up various machines with varying masks 255.255.255.X - [...] This divides the segment into address ranges 192.168.1.1-127 and 192.168.1.128-255. [...]
En ymmärä tuosta juuri mitään, mutta se ei haita, kun ei oikein koske minun tilannettani. Mahtasitko tietää että tuo kaikki oli minulle yhtä hepreaa? Luultavasti et, kun aina vain oletat olevasi oikeassa, vaikka puhuisit jostain ihan muuta kun kaikki muut keskustelussa osallistuvat. There, that was probably just as enlightening to you as your gobbledygook was to me...

Thanks, Ross, but no thanks. Peter's really right: You should actually *read* the question before you spout off the answer to something else.
   Christian R. Conrad
Mechanisation

As our souls are slowly stolen
The wheels of progress keep steamrolling
Mechanisation melts our minds
To drive the furnace that drives us blind. -- [link|http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/poetry/mechanisation.html|© Conrad Parker, 1993]
New I think... therefore I might just understand...
En ymm\ufffdr\ufffd tuosta juuri mit\ufffd\ufffdn, mutta se ei haita, kun ei oikein koske minun tilannettani. Mahtasitko tiet\ufffd\ufffd ett\ufffd tuo kaikki oli minulle yht\ufffd hepreaa? Luultavasti et, kun aina vain oletat olevasi oikeassa, vaikka puhuisit jostain ihan muuta kun kaikki muut keskustelussa osallistuvat.
--->Greg Speak - Trying to read Finnish, and trying to paraphrase.<---
Dam those creative solutions to problems, while it's not my inconvenience , it doesn't really concern me "something I believe means 'BABY'". Would you speak to me just as well in Hebrew? Presumably you would/could and while never merely really understanding, although we are debating as to why the Glorious one is actually participating.
--->End Translation of Gobbledegook<---

I was introduced to Finnish as a read language in the Marine Corps... never really did anything with it till just now.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
New Re: Sorry, but Peter's right - you Just Don't Get It.

Oh, *that* must be why all the other consultants are toting around laptops with thirty-eight network cards in them -- one for each LAN they ever attach to! No, hold on, wait a minute... Hey, guess what -- they *don't*!

I would not do what is being suggested here, and I doubt that any of the consultants you see wandering around do it. Any client with enough infrastructure to need a consultant will have a DHCP server that sets all that stuff up on the fly. It's the very same principle as dialing up to the Internet over the phone lines. You tell the network "I'm here" and it gives you an IP address, a network to live on, and a gateway to the rest of the world.

I was at IBM - people had several machines, laptops, labs, etc. Issues like this never arose as people went from room to room to experimental setup to lab to conference etc. It is so easy to configure a DHCP server that any network with more than say 8 nodes should use it. If you ever had a real need to reconfigure your personal network settings from the ground up, then that is the responsibility of the client in any case.

-drl
New I know of several companies
one with over 750 staff and 1k computers have static addressing. It depends on how you want to configure a net. If each port is labelled with an ip address and mask the task is fairly simple. DHCP has its uses in dialup and net on demand but static tables also work quite well. From a secure standpoint I would hesitate to see conslutants dragginf their own boxen in and leaving with the contents daily. Make me nervous that would.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

Opera was the television of the nineteenth century:loud, vulgar and garish with plots that could only be called infantile. "Pendergast"
     How do I set up multiple LAN connection in Windows 2000 Pro? - (CRConrad) - (40)
         Slow down, cowboy. - (pwhysall) - (13)
             What's not to understand??? - (CRConrad) - (12)
                 Re: What's not to understand??? - (pwhysall) - (11)
                     ifconfig eth0:1 - (boxley) - (4)
                         Bad Idea on Windows 2000 -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             why is binding 2 addresses on one nic bad in 2k? - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Thanks - saved me an explanation - (pwhysall)
                                 Not bad at all - very useful - (deSitter)
                     Ah, great - will try that. Thanks!! -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Re: What's not to understand??? - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Re: What's not to understand??? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             Re: What's not to understand??? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 You're doing it again! - (pwhysall)
                     Ahhh, that'd be the best way. Winders Hates "fuzzy" stuff... - (folkert)
         Re: How do I set up multiple LAN connection in Windows 2000 - (deSitter) - (18)
             Read the question. - (pwhysall)
             Thing is, I DON'T want to use the secondary NIC... - (CRConrad) - (16)
                 Thoughts on That - (deSitter) - (15)
                     Reading between the lines - (jbrabeck) - (6)
                         Re: Reading between the lines - (deSitter) - (4)
                             Oh hush. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 Aha! - (folkert) - (2)
                                     You rang? - (static) - (1)
                                         Yeah... - (folkert)
                         Yup, that's it exactly. (Wasn't that *obvious* to everyone?) -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Windows does not particularly like - (folkert) - (3)
                         Correct - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Might be interested to know... (new thread) - (folkert)
                             Unfortunately... - (CRConrad)
                     Sorry, but Peter's right - you Just Don't Get It. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         I think... therefore I might just understand... - (folkert)
                         Re: Sorry, but Peter's right - you Just Don't Get It. - (deSitter) - (1)
                             I know of several companies - (boxley)
         Windows won't - (scoenye) - (6)
             Ackshully - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Fucking Whoopee - (deSitter) - (4)
                     No you can't. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         Re: No you can't. - (deSitter) - (2)
                             As usual... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Re: As usual... - (deSitter)

Opportunities are rarely good news.
65 ms