IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bullshit.
OS/400 is a fine OS - unless, of course, you are dependent on GUI tools - and even there, IBM provides, if you are a Windows hack, anyway.

As for the DB, it IS the FS - and it works fine, and performs well... Unless, of course you are comparing out-of-date hardware to SOA systems. That happens, as the system will keep chugging away, and being useful, without being tied to the upgrade treadmill.

Of course, it IS an alien architecture - the commands in the OS are all descriptive - named for what they do from two-or three character subs, like WRK, DSP, JOB, PGM, SRC, DBJ, OBJ, SYS, etc.

I think I detect someone that cannot adapt to non-hierarchal filesystems, and needs DOS or UNIX style commands to feel comfortable.

As for RPG, it's a shame that it's true strength (the program cycle) is completely misunderstood by those weaned on BASIC or C (this lack of adaptbility has lead to the de-emphasis of the cycle by IBM - guess it shows how adaptable most programmers really are)... Again, it's worse 'sin' is being different.

So far as COBOL on the '400 goes - well, it really isn't a major language on that platform.

And IBM hates DB2/400? Gee - when did that happen? I guess it's because IBM now has Linux on the box, right? Choice means change, right? There can be only one?

I guess the only reason the AS/400 and OS/400 exist is the fanatically loyal users that want, like, and use the product.

I see your post as saying 'different is bad'. Enjoy Windows, then, and the upgrade treadmill.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Hmm, so OS/400-heads should grok TWiki
I think I detect someone that cannot adapt to non-hierarchal filesystems
That's one of the hard things about getting used to [link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome|TWiki].
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Heh.
>> I guess the only reason the AS/400 and OS/400 exist is the fanatically loyal
>> users that want, like, and use the product.

No, only those users who are satisfied with a Sql database that doesn't even conform to the ANSI 1992 standard - oops, that's only TEN YEARS behind, good for IBM - and WAIT! they have "STORED PROCEDURES!" in their latest release! WOO-HOO!
New Those poor bastards.
I guess they can't get anything done.

Someone ought to tell them.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Really poor bastards....
I guess they can't get anything done.

Someone ought to tell them.

Well, the ones using [link|http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.mspx|this OS] haven't been getting anything done for years... no-one told them...

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
     Web Server for my brother, part 2 - (orion) - (48)
         "Egads!!!" he exclaims.... - (folkert) - (42)
             "Run Away!!!! Run Away!!!!" -NT - (n3jja)
             He tried Linux - (orion)
             Re: "Egads!!!" he exclaims.... - (deSitter) - (39)
                 I am sheathing my sword.... - (folkert) - (38)
                     Re: I am sheathing my sword.... - (deSitter) - (37)
                         Heh heh heh Windows Vs. Unix Vs. AS/400 - (orion) - (22)
                             Re: Heh heh heh IIS - (pwhysall) - (21)
                                 Well put my dear, dear, Pete... - (folkert)
                                 They way I figure it - (orion) - (19)
                                     Securing W2K Server Without An MCSE - (pwhysall) - (18)
                                         Hah hah, grin. - (orion) - (17)
                                             Trust Peter on this - (ben_tilly)
                                             Re: Hah hah, grin. - (pwhysall) - (15)
                                                 Look here - (orion) - (14)
                                                     Re: Look here - (pwhysall)
                                                     If you are not a newbie... - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                                         Thanks a lot - (orion) - (7)
                                                             Nobody's asking you to be Einstein. - (bepatient)
                                                             Also cut the rants - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                 So... then... what about... - (folkert) - (4)
                                                                     /me cuts off Greg's caffeine supply. Sheesh! ;-) -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                                         Re: /me cuts off Greg's caffeine supply. Sheesh! ;-) - (folkert)
                                                                     Well...what is your stress level? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                         NADA... anymore... ;) -NT - (folkert)
                                                     It's called growing up. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                         But I can't grow up - (orion) - (2)
                                                             Guy, Interrupted - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                 Thanks a lot - (orion)
                         AS/400? You've got to be kidding. - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                             Er... - (admin)
                             Bullshit. - (imric) - (4)
                                 Hmm, so OS/400-heads should grok TWiki - (drewk)
                                 Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     Those poor bastards. - (imric) - (1)
                                         Really poor bastards.... - (folkert)
                             To each their own - (orion) - (2)
                                 Wrong comparison - (admin) - (1)
                                     Wrong idea - (orion)
                             Actually.... - (slugbug) - (3)
                                 Re: Actually.... - (deSitter)
                                 I don't see it in the ports - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     yup, saw that too... - (slugbug)
         Went to GoDaddy - (imric) - (1)
             Re: Went to GoDaddy - (orion)
         RRAS - (deSitter) - (1)
             Winroute sounds like the way to go - (orion)
         DSL modem replaced - (orion)

Ahh, the good old days when I didn't know how stupid I was.
277 ms