I just got done making a "master image" for work of W2K pro. I was at it for nearly four days AFTER I had gotten all the drivers for the various devices and such for all the models of machines we have...

Four days of nothing other than checking and re-checking every single setting... ACLs up the ying yang... File System Permissions... Permissions for users... basically I HAD to make it so the machine did AUTOMAGIC login on the workstation after authentication to eDIR. It works on 2 levels... If Netware is found on any interface... it forces an eDIR authentication... If it sees NO network... it just goes to the desktop... and for those funny little trouble makers whom plug-in AFTER getting to the desktop... as soon as the interface becomes active... it forces an eDIR login... nice... is no real way to disable it... cause we have deep-freeze for parts of the registry... I like deep-freeze... but hate it too... We cannot force down changes to those settings easily... BUT we can make sure that the users STILL get to the resources they need...

How are we gonna do the updates??? I dunno... but I am sure someone will come up with something... (namely me or my cohorts at work)... ish it ALWAYS seems like we find those STUPID issues everyone just says... just do it this way... as a work around... well I don;t really like using work-arounds at all... UNLESS there is no future in sight without them... Sort of like defining static routes instead of listening for them wiht RIPv1 or RIPv2 or OSPF or <insert favorite routing protocol>. Well I dunna like static routes one bit... not one bit at all... I prefer automagic costing and dynamic routing like it is supposed to work...

Well, on to the tough part of a W2K rollout... training people how to munge up thier install... and make a TON more work for us... Then we roll XP in Classic mode after "the hurt everyone wants"... Faculty DO NOT understand how restrictive W2K will be deployed in a "enterprise" way... or How XP professional is so different from XP Home... I just CAN'T wait!!! HAHAHAHAHA