IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Atkins and low carbohydrate diets.
OK you lardies, [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/07FAT.html?pagewanted=1|eat this up!] (iwethey:iwethey if you don't have a free NY Times account)

The net of it is that Atkins is right.
Alex

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
New Okay.... here goes...
There ain't NO such thing as a "fix" for being a lardy...

Now, what I mean by that:

1) Eat only when you are hungry
      not because it is time to eat
2) Distinguish between being hungry
      and being thirsty
3) Eat only until you are *NOT*
      hungry or are satiated not "Stuffed"
4) Drink a tall glass of water before you eat
      and wait 20 minutes... you may reall have been thirsty
5) Drink lots and lots of sugar-free fluids per day
      (64oz of water or double that if it has caffeine)

Remember those 5 items, you'll become your normal weight.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New Muscle tissue, fat, etc.
Burning calories is somewhat complex.

Walking burns fat.

Running burns muscle.

Eating calories and then running hard can actually reduce your muscle mass.

Eating useless calories (sugars and such) will result in a fat ass.

Atkins diet results in the production of ketones. These can be bad if you have heart or kidney problems or diabetes. Not to mention it makes your breath stink and constipates you.

The only SAFE way to lose weight is over time.

Eat healthy (heavy on the vegies and fruits and light on the sugars)
-and-
Exercise your fat ass!

The reason we're so FAT isn't because the doctors have been telling us to eat less fat......

The reason we're so FAT is because we've made McDonald's the success it is.

We EAT too much GARBAGE.

Then we sit our burger stuffed asses on the couch and watch mindless pablum on TV.

You want to see a weight loss program? Plan a WEEK of low fat vegitarian (vegan is better) meals (all meals) with lots of fresh vegies to snack on. No processed sugar or other crap.

Then, while you're eating all that yummy cow food, walk for an hour at lunch and another hour after work.

You'll be down 2 to 4 pounds at the end of the week.

Don't run a bunch of miles. Don't pump iron. Just walk.

Also, don't mix a weight loss program with a muscle building program. You have to have excess muscle building materials to build muscles. To lose fat, you have to have a SHORTAGE of calories (so your body will burn the fat on your ass).

Now, you burn 20 pounds over a couple of months.

Then you go back to your burger chomping, "Friends" watching lifestyle.

You'll gain those pounds back.

Your weight will reflect the life you lead.

To change your weight, you'll have to change your life.

That's the simple solution.

That's the ONLY solution.

'less you wanna get part of your guts cut out and the rest stapled together.

Deal with it.
New Sanity check
How much weight have you lost and kept off?

How much weight has Greg lost since taking the advice that he offers? (He hasn't kept it off because he has more to lose.)

Right. I'll listen to Greg then.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New 50 pounds.
You can listen to whomever you want to.

I'm saying that there is more to being healthy than lowering your weight.
New Ditto here.
Following the same prescription. I'm even building some serious muscle now... Benching 150 or so.
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
New IIRC...
Greg has lost 135 and counting. As I said, if you say his diet won't work, and he has direct evidence that it does, then you look very silly.

As for the rest, well sure. Obviously there is more to health than weight. But, your tendancy towards unsupported assertions notwithstanding, this subject is not well enough understood for anyone, you in particular, to be making blanket statements of fact.

For the record, I know someone (now an ex-brother in law) who went onto something a lot like the Atkins diet. Before he had serious diabetes and repeated heart problems. Afterwards the diabetes cleared up to the point where he no longer needed medication, and his cholesteral improved to normal. He still goes in for a full physical every 6 months. This is to be recommended when you have needed heart bypass surgery in the past. But his experience is a miracle turnaround from a diet that you (and standard wisdom at the time) claim should be lethal to him.

Pontificate all you want. But until there are controlled studies showing whether or not his result was a fluke (a result which is, incidentally, predicted in the NY Times article), I won't care.

Cheers,
Ben

PS An important historical note. The widespread use of evidentiary based medicine - that we should actually test our medical common knowledge - is shockingly recent. As in the last decade recent. I am not surprised that basic holes in nutrition have yet to be dealt with.
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New I expected you to be able to read.
Greg has lost 135 and counting. As I said, if you say his diet won't work, and he has direct evidence that it does, then you look very silly.
Gee, I must look really silly then.

Except I've stated that you can lose weight on just about any diet.

[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=45035|You can lose weight on just about any diet.]

Read that post, again.

It isn't about losing weight. It's about a healthy body.

Now, that diet makes some claims that seem to contradict current knowledge.

Whatever.

You want a controlled study? Start by checking out how many vegans have heart disease.

So, if it isn't the meat or the fat (Atkins diet and your claim) or the vegies that contribute to heart disease, is it just the carbos in our diets?

If not, what then?

Pontificate all you want. But until there are controlled studies showing whether or not his result was a fluke (a result which is, incidentally, predicted in the NY Times article), I won't care.
I'm not asking you to care. And there have been controlled studies. But different studies yield different data. There are enough of them posted on the web.

Now, if you were approaching this from a scientific viewpoint, you'd take the existing info (vegans don't die from heart attacks nearly as much as the rest of the US population)
-and-
combine it with the claims made in that article
-then-
formulate a testable hypothesis.

Namely, that something other than meats, fats and vegies is what causes heart attacks.

Something is causing heart disease to kill so many people.

What is it?
New I don't care to have a long debate about it
What you started off saying was that vegan is [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=44986|the only safe diet]. However what is safe? What Greg describes is at least as safe as whatever most people are doing now. Drink lots of (sugar-free) water. Only eat when you are hungry. Sounds like it isn't worse, and judging from his and his wife's results it has been very good.

Conversely I will accept that a vegan diet probably does not have the same risk of heart problems as a mainstream one does. But it runs a bigger risk of malnutrition. See for instance [link|http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/child_abuse.html|this story] of a baby who died from lack of vitamin B-12.

But, you say, with common sense you can avoid nutrition problems? True. With common sense and more knowledge than your piece of advocacy gave, you can. That doesn't mean that it is particularly safe to say, "I will only eat veggies" and proceed to eliminate everything else from your diet.

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New Then don't.
#1. Quote me correctly. What I said was:
The only SAFE way to lose weight is over time.

Not that "vegan is the only safe diet."

Like I said, I expected YOU to be able to read.

#2.
However what is safe? What Greg describes is at least as safe as whatever most people are doing now.
Most people are FAT and out of shape! (In the US). I'm talking about safe ways to lose weight. Not emergency procedures to patch a lifetime of bad habits. The SAFE way to lose weight.

#3.
Drink lots of (sugar-free) water. Only eat when you are hungry. Sounds like it isn't worse, and judging from his and his wife's results it has been very good.
And I pointed out that losing weight is more complex. Not that he wasn't losing weight. But weight loss ALONE is not the metric to judge by.

#4.
Conversely I will accept that a vegan diet probably does not have the same risk of heart problems as a mainstream one does. But it runs a bigger risk of malnutrition.
And to support that, you link to a story that I've quoted this from:

In an interview with a detective, Jan Moorhead said he never knew his son was going to die until his final breath of life, because of his faith in the herbal remedies which he was treating him with.
He said in hindsight there is a possibility he may have done the wrong thing, but he said the doctor at Starship Hospital could also be wrong.
A 6 month old child, sick, and the parents don't take it to the hospital. And you think this makes some kind of point about adults on vegan diets?

#5.
That doesn't mean that it is particularly safe to say, "I will only eat veggies" and proceed to eliminate everything else from your diet.
Again, READ my post before you start putting words in my mouth. I did NOT say that. Here's what I DID say:

You want to see a weight loss program? Plan a WEEK of low fat vegitarian (vegan is better) meals (all meals) with lots of fresh vegies to snack on. No processed sugar or other crap.

Then, while you're eating all that yummy cow food, walk for an hour at lunch and another hour after work.

You'll be down 2 to 4 pounds at the end of the week.

Don't run a bunch of miles. Don't pump iron. Just walk.
So, your objection to my advice was that I didn't specify enough?

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that I wasn't addressing an adult who was aware that he needed to balance his meals.

#6. You don't want to discuss this, fine. Don't.

For my part, I'll be sceptical of anyone who says that his radically new concept is correct.

If carbs are bad, like he says, then it should be EASY to prove that BEFORE proving his diet is better.

Simply take 1,000 vegans (low heart disease) and put them in a control group.

Then, take another 1,000 vegans and have them add more carbs to their diet.

If what he says is true, then the second group will start to get FAT and unhealthy!

That's all it would take.

Instead, there are articles like these about how "the establishment" won't accept "proof" that his diet works because it is 180 degrees from the "established" doctrine.

Fuck that.

If it is so radical, it should be EASY to prove in STEPS.

Step #1. Show that adding carbs to your diet makes you unhealthy.

And so forth.

I'd expect ANYONE who tacks "doctor" onto his name to be able to understand what steps to take to prove his theory.

I'm not seeing that with Atkins.

Again, step #1. Establish that carbs are what make you fat and unhealthy.
New Minor point.
The problem with the child...and the problem with vegan and strict vegetarian diets is the lack of B-12.

Without supplements, children especially can develop severe neurological problems.

I saw also a link to higher rates of Alzheimers amongst vegetarians...again thought to be due to B-12 deficiency.

Still...a balanced vegetarian diet with some supplements >will< reduce risk factors for heart disease...but so will a well balanced diet and exersize.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New dont soybeans have b12? I know brewers yeast does
but is eating yeast vegan?
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Strictly? Probably not.
But would drinking beer be vegan, then?

Besides, they have brands of that yeast that taste like cheese. (if you've never tasted cheese before)
New Yes, soybeans do
But not much else does.

So you can get your B12 on a vegan diet, but it takes some awareness and planning.

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New On your PS
"PS An important historical note. The widespread use of evidentiary based medicine - that we should actually test our medical common knowledge - is shockingly recent. As in the last decade recent. I am not surprised that basic holes in nutrition have yet to be dealt with."
Read "lets eat right to keep fit" by Adele Davis. Annotated up the ass with case studies in North Carolina done over decades. Trouble is everyone tries to re-invent the wheel when a LOT of good research was done in the 1920-45 that is ignored.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New OK I dont eat
veggies or cheese. I eat meat,shrimp, real bread not the carboard stuff and thats about it. Eggs every now and then. Drink lotta water
No donuts, sweets or any sugars just the cola I mix with fuel.
Weight is 20 lbs less than my fighting trim which I think is muscles that have atrophied into fat which is lighter.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Weight. It's all about weight.
No. It's not about weight.

If you cut off both your legs, you'll weigh less than you do now.

You can lose weight on just about any diet.

You can eat a bucket of fried chicken for every meal and still lose weight (if you burn enough calories).

And that is the problem with focusing solely on weight.

Your body should be low fat, high muscle with clear arteries.
New My body should be 6 feet underground :)
If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken much better care of myself.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Don't fret. You'll get there, eventually. :)
The meat is good on mine. It's the skeleton and connective tissues that are the problem.
New Yummy cow food?

gag

Seriously, vegetarians *do* tend to not be overweight. I've heard that "true" vegans and many vegetarians actually are often hard-put to keep themselves *up* to a healthy weight.

Also, I have read somewhere that a lot cheap starchy "fat-free" foods tend not to help. Vegetables, some starchy foods, some meat maybe two or three times a week. Follow the new "food pyramid". Consult a nutritionist who is actually up on the latest research into the subject.

Walking may make you healthier and feel better (personally, I prefer biking because even gentle walking or jogging and certainly running jars my back too much), and is certainly not a Bad Thing, but it hardly burns off enough calories to count, especially if you're still gobbling America's Favorite Fries or whatever.
New Admit it
You didn't read the article linked in the root node of this thread, did you?

It contains lots of stuff about exactly what you mentioned (the problems with carbohydrates, etc).

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New I guess... I should have been a BIT more... explicative
I fully believe, that if you follow those 5 rules, you will become more active and able to DO more hence loose more.

My wife is currently doing these 5 items, sticking to the whole ideals set forth by them. She has ALSO lost 65 pounds. She is about 3 pounds overweight now.

Karen(My wife) had a checkup today in fact.

Doctor indicated, looking at her chart for the last 25 years, she has never been able to do some of things she can now. Her Body Fat percentage is right where it needs to be. Her heart rate is awesome, Blood Pressure is actually on the low side, but stil in the Good range. She ahd a blood test done last week, she got results today, cholesterol, blood chemistry it dead-center, posture has improved to great, knees no longer hurt while walking.

Me, I am starting to feel the effects of loosing weight. My sternum has started to come back together, hurts... weird like, but is normal for "FAT" guys as they loose weight. I have also lost 3 sizes in shoe size, from 14 to 11.

There ya be...

New Your poor co-worker...
You keep this up, and what will he have to rag you about? :-)

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
New Yeah... but...
I still be able to tease him about being Black.... :D

I am MORE than sure he'll find SOMETHING else...

New Fascinating. And a little scary.
I love my bread, too. :-(

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Whole grain bread is fine
... according to the article. It digests much more slowly than processed grain.

Tastes a lot better too, IMO. It's all we eat with respect to bread.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Yep, the key is the glycemic index.
In other words, [link|http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm|how rapidly] usable sugar (i.e. glucose) shows up in the blood. Or, see an [link|http://www.glycemicindex.com/|Aussie site].

One of the interesting things is that even what are pure carbohydrates, e.g. fructose, and ordinary sugar (sucrose), are not terrible because it takes the body time to slice and dice these molecucles to form glucose. And cellulose we can't digest at all and passes through us (with minor use by some bacteria).
Alex

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
New This is perfectly timed
I'm looking to lose some (well, a lot) of weight. My doctor is doing the Atkins diet and he really looks good.

The primary motivation is that I don't make enough money to continually be buying new clothes as I swell out of the old ones.
Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New My dad's been doing it for a couple years now
He's down 50 pounds and has kept it off. His medical readings are all at normal levels(they used to be elevated). Proof enough for me that Atkins' theory has merits.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Not mentioned in the NYT article, but on the Atkins diet...
you wind up shortchanging yourself on Potasium and should take Potasium supplements. The Atkins book mentions this.

Also, if you do get into the Atkins diet, there are test strips available in drug stores that tell you if you have ketones in your urine. That's how you know you are doing right.
Alex

Atkins and low carbohydrate diets. - (a6l6e6x) - (29)
         Okay.... here goes... - (folkert) - (22)
             Muscle tissue, fat, etc. - (Brandioch) - (21)
                 Sanity check - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                     50 pounds. - (Brandioch) - (10)
                         Ditto here. - (inthane-chan)
                         IIRC... - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                             I expected you to be able to read. - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                 I don't care to have a long debate about it - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                     Then don't. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                         Minor point. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                             dont soybeans have b12? I know brewers yeast does - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 Strictly? Probably not. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Yes, soybeans do - (ben_tilly)
                             On your PS - (boxley)
                 OK I dont eat - (boxley) - (3)
                     Weight. It's all about weight. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                         My body should be 6 feet underground :) - (boxley) - (1)
                             Don't fret. You'll get there, eventually. :) - (Brandioch)
                 Yummy cow food? - (wharris2) - (1)
                     Admit it - (ben_tilly)
                 I guess... I should have been a BIT more... explicative - (folkert) - (2)
                     Your poor co-worker... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Yeah... but... - (folkert)
         Fascinating. And a little scary. - (static) - (2)
             Whole grain bread is fine - (admin) - (1)
                 Yep, the key is the glycemic index. - (a6l6e6x)
         This is perfectly timed - (tjsinclair)
         My dad's been doing it for a couple years now - (SpiceWare)
         Not mentioned in the NYT article, but on the Atkins diet... - (a6l6e6x)

This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.
407 ms